Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 08:48 AM

716 posts, read 557,447 times

Advertisements

I was married to a man with sleep apnea. I can't sleep with ear plugs because feeling something in my ears is annoying in itself. I slept on the couch many times - and could still hear him through a closed door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 05:22 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
A CPAP machine has helped many folks who have a snoring problem.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:02 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
if he refuses to do a sleep study, have him try those nasal strips and see if that helps

I'm a very light sleeper and have to wear earplugs nightly. If I was married/dating someone who snored we would just have to have different rooms.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:28 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
It all depends on how bad the snoring is. I'm married to a woman who's snoring is so bad that even with the bedroom door closed, you can hear the snoring from the far side of the house. We ended up having to sleep in separate bedrooms and have been doing so for the last fifteen years. In spite of that, I still have to sleep with a white noise machine just to drown out the snoring. In separate bedrooms. Both with the doors closed.

To those who snore and refuse to do anything about it, I wish you all the luck in your future relationships. Especially in your marriage. Nothing will affect intimacy more than being forced to sleep apart. At that point in time, you're mere roommates.
Loudness matters. And to me, breathing rate—and therefore snoring interval—matter just as much. I cannot sleep if someone is breathing loudly and faster than I do. Period. It is like a metronome that keeps my body from slowing down into sleep. Seriously, this is as unbearable as hearing someone sing or play out of tune.

My husband sometimes snored so loudly I could hear it even if I slept on the floor above him! To make things worse, his respiratory rate when sleeping is bizarrely high. I remember our dogs would occasionally snore, but it was slow enough and soft enough I didn’t mind. It was almost soothing.

With advancing age, I, too, began snoring, albeit not every night and not as loudly.

Snoring sucks, no matter who is doing it. The more separation between sleeping rooms, the better.
Chronic loss of sleep is a big, big deal. JrzDefector nailed it by saying “Sleep deprivation is torture.”

Last edited by pikabike; 12-24-2018 at 09:37 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 09:37 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
This is not an insurmountable problem. First, he needs to man up and see a doctor. If he loves you he will do it. It may also save his life if he has sleep apnea.

I have been married for 29 years. My DH did see a doctor about his snoring, but there was nothing to be done. He has had people in hotel rooms pounding on the wall to try to shut him up.

Don't listen to people saying you will just end up like roommates if you have separate rooms. It doesn't affect your sex life. You can have sex before going to bed, when you wake in the morning, or you can go wake him up in the middle of the night if the mood hits you. Sleep and sex have little to do with one another, except you will have more energy for it ( and everything else) if you are well rested.

DH doesn't snore as badly as he once did and a couple hours before rising it slacks off enough so that if I wake up I go crawl in bed with him. If he is tired he can bring down the house with his snoring. I tried earplugs, I tried making him turn over. If it takes sleeping in separate beds to get a good night's rest, and the relationship is otherwise a good one, it is well worth it.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Separate bedrooms can save a relationship.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:55 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I can't do ear plugs. I sleep on my side and they bother me. He wants to sleep together every night.

He's not overweight but he stops breathing for a few seconds.

Yes! I foresee this. And I don't see the point of even moving in together if it's going to turn into this.

The bolded is one of the signs of sleep apnea.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:19 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
"He's not overweight but he stops breathing for a few seconds."
If he doesn't want to consider checking for sleep apnea, he can always just wait until the 'few seconds' possibly become permanent

Old 12-25-2018, 06:37 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Husband snores, I'm a light sleeper, and ear plugs fix the problem.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-25-2018, 06:50 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,312 times
My bf snores. I have those soft foam earplugs that form to the ears. It works well because I can sleep and his snoring no longer bothers me. What does get to me is that he hogs the bed sometimes and I only have a queen sized bed. So I have to poke him in the ribs to get him to move back over to his side and it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships