Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 1,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You’re delusional. What’s wrong with the wife you already have?

Really, nothing wrong.
It is like working with somebody at work. No feelings. Too old to talk about love? mid-forty is an awkward age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 02:37 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Let’s say that you get a divorce and start out new with your old classmate, what makes you think that things won’t get stale (like your marriage) after the same number of years?

Is 40 really too old to talk about love? Or is it too old to talk about breaking up?

Consider your marriage first and only. The best advice I ever read was that if you can picture yourself happier alone, then divorce may be the right thing for you. And that means ALONE, because the classmate thing might never happen or won’t last.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:39 PM

99 posts, read 48,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fileman View Post
Really, nothing wrong.
It is like working with somebody at work. No feelings. Too old to talk about love? mid-forty is an awkward age.
Have you had sex with her? Do not leave your current wife if she would not be compatible in bed. Also I need to know if kids are involved here before I make recommendation.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:40 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
short version:
high school classmate for a year, had a wonderful time, no physical contact, never held hands.

never mentioned anything about relationship because my best buddy loves her.
had her in my mind ever since, cannot get rid of her.
20 years later ........... never contacted each other and we both have an ok marriage and a successful career.
met her in Europe, spent 3 days together, purely as a friend, never held hands.

a month later, had a dinner together, purely as a friend, never held hands.
GOSH, we still have so much in common, even better than before.

Another month passed (last month), we are thousands of miles apart and finally realized our feelings about each other.

She is quite conservative. But, she is filing divorce with her husband. I have been trying to persuade her not to. Having told me that she had enough of her boring marriage, she wants to live her own life.

For me, I am on the verge of leaving everything behind for her. This is not a fantasy. I am very sure that she is my true love. I never had this kind of feelings to any girls. I married my wife only because I need one or I want one. Now facing the right one, should I pull the trigger regardless?

OR, I am just being stupid?
Go for it. The only thing that can result is regret.
And you already have that.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:44 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Quote:
short version:
high school classmate for a year, had a wonderful time, no physical contact, never held hands.

never mentioned anything about relationship because my best buddy loves her.
had her in my mind ever since, cannot get rid of her.
20 years later ........... never contacted each other and we both have an ok marriage and a successful career.
met her in Europe, spent 3 days together, purely as a friend, never held hands.

a month later, had a dinner together, purely as a friend, never held hands.
GOSH, we still have so much in common, even better than before.

Another month passed (last month), we are thousands of miles apart and finally realized our feelings about each other.

She is quite conservative. But, she is filing divorce with her husband. I have been trying to persuade her not to. Having told me that she had enough of her boring marriage, she wants to live her own life.

For me, I am on the verge of leaving everything behind for her. This is not a fantasy. I am very sure that she is my true love. I never had this kind of feelings to any girls. I married my wife only because I need one or I want one. Now facing the right one, should I pull the trigger regardless?

OR, I am just being stupid?
Your timeline is somewhat confusing. Just how did the three days in Europe come about? How long ago was that? And the dinner a month later – since you say you are "thousands of miles apart."

What has led you to believe that her desire to "live her own life" actually includes you – other than perhaps you are both a bit "overheated" at the moment?

The fact that you "never had this kind of feelings to any girls" before this is something you really need to look at. That doesn't mean she's the "right one."

Old 12-27-2018, 05:36 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Because, according to what you've told us, you only married your wife in order to have a wife (not necessarily her), if there are no children involved it might be best to cut her loose so she can find someone who both loves her and truly appreciates what she brings to a relationship. Just don't be upset if she finds someone who suits her far better than you and if your fantasy relationship ends up being either a no-go or your "one true love" tells you that you're not *her* "one" once the dust of the end of her marriage settles.

You're risking simply being one another's catalyst for ending marriages that, for at least your "true love" and you, are less than stellar. Then again, things could work out and you would live happily ever after with her.

You're the only one who can make the decision to leave your marriage to be with a woman other than your wife. Tread carefully and above all, if you decide to leave your marriage, be as kind and gentle as you can with your spouse--especially as you married her under false pretenses. (Unless yours was an arranged marriage.)

Old 12-27-2018, 05:44 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Quote:
..... I never had this kind of feelings to any girls. I married my wife only because I need one or I want one....
Why do people find it ok too use people like this?
Now she has to start over and hope her true chance hasn't been passed by. Just sick, mann.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:09 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
it was somewhere in a fairytale......I use to take her home in my car...we learned about love in the back of a car...the lesson hadn't gone too far...

be careful about what you truly want....the FEELING of puppy love.....the conquest of what you couldn't have ….. or the opportunity to see "what if"
to risk all you have on a romanticized "what if" is risking a LOT
what you think she is and what life will be like might be worlds apart..

you are a different person today and so is she...…. you are in fantasy-land
keep in mind....people are like ice-bergs you are only seeing 15 % of her...its the other 85% that you don't see..thats real life.....

Old 12-27-2018, 06:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
OP - do you have children?

If so, that's completely crazy to leave them for a woman you've never even held hands with.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:48 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Really, nothing wrong.
You should talk to a therapist first, by yourself, to sort out your lack of feelings and your apparent mid-life crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships