Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 08:12 PM

5 posts, read 1,631 times

Advertisements

I'm a gay man who owns a home and I allow my mother/Grandma to move in with me. I am in the closet but my dating life is next to nothing.

My family also does not support gay relationships, but I feel like I will never have a love life because of this. I'm like a few years from 30 and feel stuck in my life.

Is it normal or horrible to bring a significant other home to spend time with? It is my own home so I feel like I should but I do not want to disrespect my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 08:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Even in your own home, you are a prisoner because you are not being yourself. As long as you are in the closet, you will be forced to live according to your elders’ rules.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
I am a 66 year old mother & grandmother. Please be honest with them about your sexual orientation and that you will be entertaining dates in your house and they will be sleeping in your room (if that is what you want to do). And, if your mother and/or grandmother are not happy with that situation they can move out and buy their own house.

It would be a different situation if you lived in the home owned by your mother and/or grandmother as you would need to follow their rules or at least come to some type of agreement. IMHO, it is your house so it is your rules. Your mother and grandmother are living with you in your house so you are the one in charge. Please do not give up the chance to find someone to date and someone who loves you just because your mom/grandmother are not mature enough to understand that you are gay.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:15 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsyo View Post
I'm a gay man who owns a home and I allow my mother/Grandma to move in with me. I am in the closet but my dating life is next to nothing.

My family also does not support gay relationships, but I feel like I will never have a love life because of this. I'm like a few years from 30 and feel stuck in my life.

Is it normal or horrible to bring a significant other home to spend time with? It is my own home so I feel like I should but I do not want to disrespect my family.
When you first decided to share your home with your mother/grandmother surely you thought about this? I appreciate how difficult that conversation would have been then, but now the chickens have come home to roost. If they refuse to accept your way of life despite being a responsible adult in charge of your own affairs, you are either going to have to sit down and tell them how things will be going forward, or ask them to make other arrangements. They should not be dictating what you do with your life. Your home is yours. Consider that being secretive or dishonest with them is also a form of disrespect.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:18 AM

1,058 posts, read 675,490 times
Don't hide. You are making this more difficult while not being honest. Do you live in a very traditional town where your lifestyle is not accepted?

A couple of lesbian friends of mine moved because they were being judged so harshly. You need to find where you fit and be comfortable where you are. Start off 2019 fresh.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:09 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
Ever hear of "my house, my rules"?

If they don't like it they can move.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:36 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

And yes, it's perfectly normal to want to bring a date or SO to your house. It's not horrible. As someone else said, it's time to be honest with your mother and grandmother. If they don't like it, they can move.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-30-2018 at 04:26 PM..

Old 12-28-2018, 07:44 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
Do what you feel is right. It’s your life not theirs.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:16 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
To the person that gutlessly decided to rep me on my above comment in order to send me a crazy lesson about the supposed reasons for homosexuality, if you truly think that is accurate have the courage to espouse your nonsense publicly instead of hiding behind anonymity.

I can guarantee you that of the many lesbians and gay men I've known in my life, not one of them experienced anything you described.

I can also predict the single study you would cite as evidence. To that, I would say that correlation is NOT causation. The researchers behind that single study very clearly point that out. One learns that in Psych 101 and introductory statistics.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:40 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Ever hear of "my house, my rules"?

If they don't like it they can move.
Exactly! I can understand why the OP might be uncomfortable having someone sleep over while his relatives are living there (I would be uncomfortable too and I’m not gay), but it’s his house so he should be able to do whatever he wants. His mother and grandmother will just have to adjust...or move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships