Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 09:08 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,714,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Nah, it's just the reality of relationships, all kinds. People often end them because needs are not being met. They cheat for the same reason. No one is arguing personal responsibility. He obviously did it. The issue is shared responsibility.
Yeah no. Cheating is a conscious decision. He knew what the vows were, he said what he said, she said what she said......if he wasn't getting what he wanted, he could've left before cheating. There's no wriggling out of it. At the end of the day the wife didn't put a gun to his head and tell him to cheat.....he did that on his own. However, we can agree to disagree.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:09 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
It is a choice and a consequence. The drive toward it is totally natural.
... and totally avoidable. That's the definition of commitment.

Cheating on your spouse is something you promise NOT to do when you marry. Fidelity is to be maintained, not earned.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:22 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,538,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Yeah no. Cheating is a conscious decision.
Of course it is.

Quote:
He knew what the vows were, he said what he said, she said what she said......if he wasn't getting what he wanted, he could've left before cheating.
Correct.

Quote:
At the end of the day the wife didn't put a gun to his head and tell him to cheat.....he did that on his own.
That's obvious.

Shared responsibility means they BOTH contributed. Not sure how you missed that.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:26 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:

Shared responsibility means they BOTH contributed. Not sure how you missed that.
She didn't miss anything.

She, like most responders here, acknowledge that they both let the marriage lapse but disagree with you that the wife contributed to his cheating, which is what you are asserting here.

Quote:

She owns her role in the demise of the marriage, but she is appalled that he cheated. I don't see how she can escape her role in the latter.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:35 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Would be great if people actually read the article, eh?
I read it. He cheated on her while they were still married, kinda the definition of cheating isn't it?
Point is that if you are so unhappy with the marriage then end it BEFORE you move on to something else. Divorce can be complicated or difficult for various reasons, but that's not a legitimate excuse for having an affair and lying about it. I find that cowardly. Tell your partner that you're done and seeking companionship/sex elsewhere beforehand.
No one is driven to cheating, they have the option to choose to leave the situation before starting a new relationship.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I would love to see some links to that, or quotes, since it's really the most inflammatory part of your post.
To what? That I saw two opposing opinions on the matter? Go to HuffPost's Facebook page, find the article and you'll see the comments.

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately.
If you read it then you would see they "obviously" tried to deal with their problems.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks fidelity is supposed to be earned shouldn't go near a committed relationship of any kind.
That's funny. If you think you're due fidelity no matter what, you had better be prepared for a side chick.

Quote:
And the editor in me can't stomach this National Enquirer type of writing.
You're an editor with that lack of attention to detail?

Old 12-31-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
... and totally avoidable. That's the definition of commitment.
No it's not lol.

Quote:
Cheating on your spouse is something you promise NOT to do when you marry.
They also promise to love, honor and cherish until death. How do you feel about divorce?

Quote:
Fidelity is to be maintained, not earned.
That's pretty much the same thing lol. If you don't maintain it, you lose it.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:40 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
That's funny. If you think you're due fidelity no matter what, you had better be prepared for a side chick.
People are due fidelity when fidelity is given, until it is re-addressed / re-negotiated /rescinded.

If "fidelity" waxes and wanes depending on how much attention I think I'm giving, or how much attention they think they're getting, then it sure the heck is real fidelity we're talking about.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:40 AM

378 posts, read 229,961 times
I thought fidelity was maintained, not earned or entitled. Both parties agreed to the commitment. It's their job to uphold it.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
I guess marriage vows don't mean
Why the surprise? Look around. American society has lost most of its various forms of social glue since WW II, and that certainly includes those regarding marriage. Was the guy a sh*t, yeah; but I would have no trouble showing you a woman of my acquaintance who cuckolded her husband (and two children) and then lied furiously when discovered and said her husband was just jealous. Her affair and an attempted affair could have been survived had she not been a lying hypocrite. So, now the family is broken, the two kids are as bitter and hurt as the husband.

Marital scumbaggery abounds.

Like the man said, "Love is forever, as long as it lasts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.