Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:22 AM

307 posts, read 631,082 times

Advertisements

It sounds like these men are entering your life as strong protectors, and then over time you are flipping the script on them by maintaining strict control over everything and taking over the lead. They don't seem to be happy with the new script.

I think you would be better off with some time alone to reflect, but if you do move right into another relationship, I would recommend you start it on the same footing that you would like to continue long term. Don't start out with someone that sees you as needing protection or rescue, start out with someone that is willing to accept the situation that you would like long term.

There are plenty of decent men that are more relaxed and would be happy enough with a strong woman, but they generally don't start out by swooping in to rescue you from an angry ex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 07:25 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
So clearly I am fine or not fixable.

What is wrong with me specifically that I only attract damaged men? Maybe I can just google it and resolve it my self.
No, don’t.

You could go back and read all your previous threads and see how many times people have TOLD you what to work on and you brushed it aside.

You are impervious to advice because you don’t really believe you need to work on anything.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:27 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
I have never said anything but “our home” to fiancé, yet he still does not feel like it is his.
Well, it could be because you've already stated that due to your OCD, everything pretty much has to be done your way (since it's the "best" way) and that his input hasn't even been worth listening to. You know, eventually the other person just might get the feeling that his presence there isn't worth much either.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:37 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
So clearly I am fine or not fixable.

What is wrong with me specifically that I only attract damaged men? Maybe I can just google it and resolve it my self.
Only damaged men would tolerate your level of controlling behavior and trust issues.

The woman I know that sounds a lot like you has admitted this and purposely seeks out weakened, damaged men who have a good chance of handing her control. Good, strong men with their ***t together always end up leaving.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:37 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
[quote=LowonLuck;54052009]I have been in therapy for years. I have done couple counseling in two of my relationships. It always ends with the therapist saying I don’t need to come, they need to see him by himself. Which happens for a session or two and they bail... I predict that would be the same with the current one. He has trust issues with everyone. He always thinks everyone is out to get him. He feels like he is not loved and has no control. He always says he has no say in anything. I asked him last night what it is that he thinks he was not included in and he could not give an example, he just kept gaslighting that no one respects him. I actually pointed out that unless my mother sets the place, he always decides where we are eating.

I have a high self esteem. I know my worth. Trust when I should.

My sons father was unmedicated bipolar. The therapist thought I was a saint for weathering those highs and lows for 7 years.[/QUOTE

Sorry, but you need MUCH better and more individual therapy. No one can continually repeat these kinds of relationship fiascos without being the common denominator. If you won't do it for your own sake, do it for the emotional and physical safety of your children, please.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:58 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
And that is good for you, as it should be (Im sure the OP hasnt done that). But be that as it may, you would still have to move out of the home that you consider yours, unless it is willed to you. Is it?
No. His property will go to his daughter when that time comes.

We do not have joint finances. We split joint expenses , but keep all else separate. We both have assets and income; neither of is is financially dependent upon the other.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

Only damaged men would tolerate your level of controlling behavior and trust issues.
Yep, and that’s a big part of why she chooses them.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:16 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
No. His property will go to his daughter when that time comes.

We do not have joint finances. We split joint expenses , but keep all else separate. We both have assets and income; neither of is is financially dependent upon the other.
Well as long as you are fine with having to move if something happens to him.

Personally I would not feel great about that.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:31 AM

503 posts, read 772,586 times
Quote:
I have life insurance. My children inherit everything but in the trust it is set up so that fiancé could remain in the home. So yes I did make plans to protect him, although he makes twice my salary. He should be fine on his own.
Your children would stay with this guy if something happened to you? Oy.
Hopefully someone else has control of the trust.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:35 AM

210 posts, read 156,700 times
OP is in this relationship because she gets what she wants - another income supporting the household, and someone to help with the chores and schlepping the kids around. That's it. But she's never going to find someone to be a partner in a loving relationship, because a healthy person knows that such demands from the beginning are not reasonable. The only people who will accept those kinds of demands from the beginning are people who are not healthy themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships