Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,742 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been married 26 years. She never wanted me on the deed of the house nor am I on the deed of the condo here in Florida. I even stupidly signed a prenup and didn't have it vetted by a lawyer. I was a fool in love. And as our marriage has deteriorated, she reminds me that it's HER condo. Being unable to work since 2010(and on disability since 2011), I rarely feel comfortable. She holds the financial sword over my head, telling me that if I want to leave, I'll be homeless and broke. I'm considering buying a small, used RV and tell her goodbye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 04:07 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
And yes if this continues, he will be finding somewhere else to live.
Why wait? I've seen nothing good about this man. The way he acts is not normal. I know you really want the happily ever after, but you have to know that he is not the one. In fact, this behavior will probably only get worse once you're married.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM

561 posts, read 324,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Its not too long for him not to feel like its his home, because its not his home. Period. His name is on nothing. There is no ownership for him, none, nada. I dont care how long you live in someone elses home, it will NEVER be his home, until you add him to the deed. If you arent willing to do that, why would he feel like its his home?
I think it has much less to do with paperwork and more to do with how someone is treated. If you treat someone like you don't trust them, don't like their ideas, and don't care if they come or go then they are goig to feel like a boarder.

I understand you got burned OP. Many of us have been there and it hurts both emotionally and financially but unless you let that go at some point you don't belong in a relationship with anyone. I'm not saying throw your finances to the wind but you can't treat everyone you meet like they are going to ********* at some point. If that's how you actually feel then you should just commit to raising your children alone and stop trying to find a husband. You don't need one and deep down you don't seem to really want one.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:36 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I was in a situation much like your guy. I always heard, my house this and my house that. And it was her house she was right. Her furniture, her pictures, her everything. My stuff was in storage cause she didnt like it and no room for any of it.

Like you, she was a headstrong, OCD control freak that wanted it her way. Also, like you, she wanted to go drink with her buddies and act like a single woman with no explanation necessary and never felt guilty.

However, i DID pay half of everything. I got tired of it all and left. Sooner or later he will too if you don't send him away first. His self esteem must really be low or he would already be gone.
Where do you get that I act like a single woman? Yes I go to the bar. I happened to go the other night with my father. I often go with either my children or fiancé or we all go together. Even if I stop in by myself, I can easily order a drink, drink it and leave without talking to anyone. I certainly don’t go meet other people there.

I go to the bar, for get this... because I am thirsty and need a drink. Or hungry and thirsty... I don’t go for social reasons. I am actually quite unsocial and unapproachable.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:42 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastMark View Post
My wife and I have been married 26 years. She never wanted me on the deed of the house nor am I on the deed of the condo here in Florida. I even stupidly signed a prenup and didn't have it vetted by a lawyer. I was a fool in love. And as our marriage has deteriorated, she reminds me that it's HER condo. Being unable to work since 2010(and on disability since 2011), I rarely feel comfortable. She holds the financial sword over my head, telling me that if I want to leave, I'll be homeless and broke. I'm considering buying a small, used RV and tell her goodbye.
It doesn’t matter if you’re not on the deed, you’ll be somewhat protected since you’re married. Go see a lawyer now.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:29 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastMark View Post
You are a victim of financial and emotional abuse. I don't know what you were thinking to hand over such financial control to her originally, but if you are disabled you may be entitled to more than you think. I'd certainly seek some legal advice.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:12 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
Boot him. He's taking advantage and wants to take MORE advantage. Looks like his idea of "feeling at home" means he has total control. HIS rules.

BOOT!

Old 01-13-2019, 06:20 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Quote:
I have life insurance. My children inherit everything but in the trust it is set up so that fiancé could remain in the home. So yes I did make plans to protect him, although he makes twice my salary. He should be fine on his own.
WHAT? Big mistake no matter the reason. Your kids get everything, but he can continue to live in the house? And where exactly will those children be living? They aren't so far from the age of being legal adults. Rethink this please.

Quote:
So clearly I am fine or not fixable.

What is wrong with me specifically that I only attract damaged men? Maybe I can just google it and resolve it my self.
This statement is sort of the theme of all of your posts. Since you asked, you expect others to meet your expectations, even if that means changing, but to h... with changing yourself for another. You've essentially said that in your posts many, many times. Until you're ready to actually give and take in a meaningful way, no relationship will work. You expect too much and give too little. You're like an oak tree: unbending, strong in your beliefs and inflexible. You need to be more like a willow tree: flexible, willing to negotiate, and willing to accept your flaws.

Look again at your either/or statement. It smacks of self-righteousness and someone not willing to learn or adapt. Even your statement about "damaged men" indicates you think it's all on them.

This man doesn't really sound damaged. He sounds like a man that's had some serious doubts all along and is protecting himself.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:36 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
I moved into my boyfriend's place a month ago when the lease on my old place ran out.

In some aspects it still feels like I don't actually live here. I think that weirdness can take a while to go away. He has been more than accommodating though.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:41 PM

561 posts, read 324,650 times
Quote:
I go to the bar, for get this... because I am thirsty and need a drink. Or hungry and thirsty... I don’t go for social reasons. I am actually quite unsocial and unapproachable.
For simply hungry and thirsty most people would stop at a convenience store or a drive through. Most people who stop at a bar after work do it because they are not anxious to get home for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships