Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 02:18 PM

1,593 posts, read 776,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Y'know what's weird (I guess maybe?)

When men tell me that they find me attractive or beautiful, I rarely believe them. But when women, especially women that I am close to, tell me I am, and go on to tell me why they think so, or make observations about my appearance, I can take it to heart far more readily.

Maybe it's because I always feel like guys have an agenda. And even a woman that I'm dating, it usually doesn't feel like she particularly does.
So how does a guy give a girl a looks-based compliment that will sound genuine and not self-serving? Unless it’s about the girl’s insecurity more than anything else. I’d suppose the answer would be to tailor the compliment specifically to her...”You have pretty hair” vs. “I really like how your hair falls down your shoulder like that, and I love the color, it reminds me of a mocha I get at this coffee shop I know.” Something along those lines, would it seem more genuine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 02:28 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
So how does a guy give a girl a looks-based compliment that will sound genuine and not self-serving? Unless it’s about the girl’s insecurity more than anything else. I’d suppose the answer would be to tailor the compliment specifically to her...”You have pretty hair” vs. “I really like how your hair falls down your shoulder like that, and I love the color, it reminds me of a mocha I get at this coffee shop I know.” Something along those lines, would it seem more genuine?
I always get to know the "girl" (woman for me) first. Take time to know a little bit about her. Only give a looks based compliment on occasion. And if I give a compliment, it would be more along the lines of what she has achieved with her looks than something she was born with (I think about the times when I used to get compliments on my height. Height is not an achievement to me).

Old 01-03-2019, 02:31 PM

880 posts, read 531,820 times
Quote:
I'm the same as sonic, and i don't know if there is a way a guy can compliment me without me dismissing it. I was actually asked yesterday by a male friend that called me beautiful why i cant accept a compliment, i didn't really have an answer for him. I mean i know I'm considered attractive, I don't suffer from low self esteem but when i hear a compliment from a guy, it just feels like they want something.

The cashier (female) at Chipotle told me i was "so pretty" once, i thought it was strange but it made my day.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I always get to know the "girl" (woman for me) first. Take time to know a little bit about her. Only give a looks based compliment on occasion. And if I give a compliment, it would be more along the lines of what she has achieved with her looks than something she was born with (I think about the times when I used to get compliments on my height. Height is not an achievement to me).
All that goes without saying to me. For one, I’d want to establish mutual interest before giving someone an appearance-based compliment for just that reason (self-serving).

You get compliments on your height? How tall are you?

Old 01-03-2019, 02:34 PM

880 posts, read 531,820 times
Quote:
Yes! achievement based compliments win me over all the time!

Old 01-03-2019, 03:06 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
All that goes without saying to me. For one, I’d want to establish mutual interest before giving someone an appearance-based compliment for just that reason (self-serving).

You get compliments on your height? How tall are you?
Not as much as I used to. The last compliment on my height (6'0" tops) was about 9 years ago.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Not as much as I used to. The last compliment on my height (6'0" tops) was about 9 years ago.

I top you by two inches and I can't say I've ever gotten an in-public compliment on my height. I've had female friends list this as a positive when I'm asking them what my strengths are for dating/attraction purposes. I did ride a roller coaster once with a woman (a stranger) who said something to her friend in the next row about riding next to a "big, strong man." And, I had a nurse (much older, and married) once comment on how muscular I was during a BP reading (my muscles don't show, I'm not ripped, but I guess she could feel through the skin), but that's as close as it gets to comments on my physique.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:06 PM

71 posts, read 37,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Are you on any online sites. Granted this is very new territory for me, but it seems like there are all levels of attractiveness there. There should be some 5-7s to match up with your 6, I would think.
I've been on-and-off a few since my last breakup c. six years ago. But, like some others in the thread, I don't really do the number rating thing either. My "9" might be your "5" and vice-versa, and ultimately, I just want to be someone's "8" or "9"... as an aggregate score.

Ultimately, I just have a yay-or-nay approach to things. It's just about someone being attractive enough to want to date. After that point, it's time to start measuring up the other qualities. Honestly, my standards probably aren't very high compared to most guys, and find the plethora of women either conventionally "hot", and the remainder not attractive and/or train-wrecks frustrating. Some middle-of-the-road options would be nice. Dating apps are just weird... but I'm in a new city so it's probably one of the better options... in theory, anyway.

Quote:
I think having options is a factor, but I also think number of lids that fit is a factor too. I think that for some kinds of pots, there are only a limited number of lids interested in fitting that particular kind of pot. Those lids find their pots fairly quickly and lots of corresponding pots aren't able to find lids that work very well.
I can't even find a lid that wants to have a cup of coffee... ...okay, the metaphor stopped working, haha! But yeah, I don't even get to the fitment part anymore.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:06 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
Yes! achievement based compliments win me over all the time!

That's a no brainer, one would think. I was at a fest in Oakland in the fall and saw a woman who I talked to before the set (didn't know she was in a band at the time) and after told her she had a sick guitar tone (she did). It worked out ok. I can't imagine saying... what... you have great legs? Or, you're really good looking? Pretty cringeworthy.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:33 PM

71 posts, read 37,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's a no brainer, one would think. I was at a fest in Oakland in the fall and saw a woman who I talked to before the set (didn't know she was in a band at the time) and after told her she had a sick guitar tone (she did). It worked out ok. I can't imagine saying... what... you have great legs? Or, you're really good looking? Pretty cringeworthy.
All I could think of is this: https://youtu.be/HxlllAil564. Haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships