Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 01:04 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

For some of us, this might be just an amusing thread but for newer users it may actually be helpful.
I 'play' with some of them and won't here for the same reasons when I do reply, let them know what they do wrong so that they can do it better but some are so stupid...…

Just had a message come in that said "Good morning". (It was 2 pm here and 8:00 AM in Nigeria)

The ones you've already had 20 times before ( My uncle/friend/father) insisted I contact you. He is just what you're looking for and his email address/phone number is ********.
I have asked some of them if they pay for lessons and suggest they get their money back....damn! Sometimes get blocked!! But that's a good thing because some of them come back time after time with a new 'borrowed' profile and try again.
What's the dumbest one (or even the best!) you've encountered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 01:09 PM

574 posts, read 377,026 times
I get some on facebook that are very young women who want to befriend me. I already have children and grandchildren.

In my email I get women who don't seem to be able to afford very much clothing. Poor girls, makes me want to send them a gift certificate from the dept store.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:21 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
stevie60 If I remember, you're new to exploring the online dating sites.
If people respond to this thread (and most of mine don't get many ...LOL)
it should be helpful to you in avoiding the ones that might really discourage you.
Don't let it, just realize it happens and go on, informed, like it sounds like you already do with the Facebook ones

Old 01-03-2019, 01:22 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
On Facebook, I probably get 3 or 4 'random' friend requests from supposedly single men, about my age.

I'm always curious about the guys, and often look to see what they're about, what their likes are, etc. So I'm supposedly looking at a white guy, about my age...but if the guy has friends, they're all younger dudes with names I can't pronounce, or they're all other women, about my age. lol

The last one, the guy was supposedly an orthopedic surgeon, just having come back from Afghanistan, widowed, grown son.

Now...most of the time, I can tell if someone is from the USA or not, based on their syntax when communicating. They "sound American". And this particular guy DID seem to have the syntax down pretty good...But what finally gave it away to me was, when he told me he was an orthopedic surgeon...but didn't use 'doctor' in his profile. That seemed hinky to me.

I'm always up for making new friends...I enjoy knowing people from different walks of life...but if I detect deceitfulness...I'm out.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The ones you've already had 20 times before ( My uncle/friend/father) insisted I contact you. He is just what you're looking for and his email address/phone number is ********.
I got a flurry of those immediately after I set up my Match.com profile- reported them all. Also got a request from a guy about 30 years younger who claimed that since he was European the age difference didn't matter.

Most industrious was the Friend request on FB from a good-looking guy in a military uniform- he was in the Canadian Army. I put his picture into a Google Images search and it had appeared in an article in the Toronto Globe and Mail (very respected paper) 4 years ago. Yes, there WAS a guy by that name in the Canadian Army. Was it the same guy who contacted me on FB? I doubt it.

Funny- he had no other friends.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:56 PM

574 posts, read 377,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
stevie60 If I remember, you're new to exploring the online dating sites.
If people respond to this thread (and most of mine don't get many ...LOL)
it should be helpful to you in avoiding the ones that might really discourage you.
Don't let it, just realize it happens and go on, informed, like it sounds like you already do with the Facebook ones

I have actually done a lot of reading about complaints and scams in OLD. Not sure I can tell a fake profile yet but eventually I will figure it out. I even did some research on scams overseas as I was considering moving to or visiting SE Asia. After lots of articles and video's I think I will skip that idea. Its not some place I want to go alone. Sort of like wearing a huge target on my back.

For now I am not going to someone's website or giving out my number or last name or email. If I get a sob story and they need money, I will ask them which airport I should send my private jet to.

I do keep my wits about me and when its too good to be true? I doubt I would fall for it. I don't want to be a sugar daddy and I am certain there are very few young women looking for a grandpa and if they are, they have likely been abused and need therapy.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:23 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,029 times
On OLD sites, any first contact starting with "Sweetest," or "Dearest,".

Such always says "I read your profile" and "We have so much in common",
yet no indication of exactly what.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
I do keep my wits about me and when its too good to be true? I doubt I would fall for it. I don't want to be a sugar daddy and I am certain there are very few young women looking for a grandpa and if they are, they have likely been abused and need therapy.
Yeah, I know. My profile includes lots of pictures from my international travel because I want someone whose idea of travel is NOT taking the Harley to Branson for the weekend. Of course, it also screams, "This is a Grandma with MONEY". Sadly, as soon as I get a note starting out "Hello, Beautiful" I know it's a scam.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:25 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,029 times
Also the ones that say "I don't have a paid account" (they always say this, even on the free sites) so "I cannot read your replies" (bull crap), "Please contact me at <some email address>"

Old 01-03-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
Also the ones that say "I don't have a paid account" (they always say this, even on the free sites) so "I cannot read your replies" (bull crap), "Please contact me at <some email address>"
The first two I got said their paid account was about to expire, so please contact them at this e-mail/phone... Umm, yeah, if you're interested in me but too poor to renew your membership so you can get my responses, I'd say that was a dealbreaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships