Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 05:29 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times

Advertisements

I get tired of seeing people talk about "who has the power in a relationship," it's dumb....to be completely honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 05:57 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OK it's just a phrase...but I'm sick of hearing it.
To me it makes men sound weak, as if they can be led around by the nose. Like the wife calls on the shots, makes all the rules in the relationship.
Maybe it's just me, but I think the phrase is belittling, honestly.

What about happy husband, happy wife?
IS there a comparable phrase to the reverse? Happy hubby...something-or-other?
I totally agree.

There are some women who do control the home with their moods.

I have never been one for that. It would be like buying the screaming child the toy so they will be happy.

It makes me cringe to here a guy utter the phrase.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:01 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
OK it's just a phrase...but I'm sick of hearing it.
To me it makes men sound weak, as if they can be led around by the nose. Like the wife calls on the shots, makes all the rules in the relationship.
Maybe it's just me, but I think the phrase is belittling, honestly.

What about happy husband, happy wife?
IS there a comparable phrase to the reverse? Happy hubby...something-or-other?
I truly think “happy wife, happy life” is a phrase encouraging the excuse of domineering and bad behavior by women towards their husbands. No I’m not kidding.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:13 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
My FIL always said that. Ironically, he was the over bearing, demanding one. But he always treated my MIL like a queen. She is the laid back go with the flow person. They've been married for 60 years and still going strong.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-04-2019, 06:17 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
I think the phrase rings a bell with people because most people understand that the woman sets the tone of the home - not only if she is a stay-at-home homemaker/mom/whatever - but just that women tend to be nurturers and creative - and can make a home warm and inviting (or not).

Some men can do this, as well, but it is typically a female thing to do.

If you have a warm home - full of comforts - then if the wife gets pissed off - or is unhappy in some way, then the home environment will suffer - and all who live there will feel it.

I had a very mean mom and I know that when she was happy, then things were a little bit brighter in the home, but when she was not happy, everyone suffered.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:11 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
If you have a warm home - full of comforts - then if the wife gets pissed off - or is unhappy in some way, then the home environment will suffer - and all who live there will feel it.

I had a very mean mom and I know that when she was happy, then things were a little bit brighter in the home, but when she was not happy, everyone suffered.
And, as an example, what does that mean for the people who accept that kind of behavior?
I'm just not the kind of person to accept "oh you're not happy, so you're going to make my day miserable also" kind of person.

When a guy giggles as he says, "happy wife happy life," I want to ask him, do you ever get what YOU want?" (And, no, I don't mean intimacy needs.) I just see that guy as a wuss (sp?). He may not be. But that's just how it comes off (to me.)

Old 01-04-2019, 08:21 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
A BJ a day, keeps your husband okay.

Should we start that one?

I'm sure the wife one applies to all kinds of situations. Ones where she is a screaming loony if she doesn't get her way, and the awesome wife who treats the husband great, and the happier she is, the more joyful the home.

I wouldn't let it bug ya.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-04-2019, 08:49 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
Quote:
And, as an example, what does that mean for the people who accept that kind of behavior?
I'm just not the kind of person to accept "oh you're not happy, so you're going to make my day miserable also" kind of person.

When a guy giggles as he says, "happy wife happy life," I want to ask him, do you ever get what YOU want?" (And, no, I don't mean intimacy needs.) I just see that guy as a wuss (sp?). He may not be. But that's just how it comes off (to me.)
If you see marriage as a power struggle you are best suited to stay single.

There's no reason both people in the relationship shouldn't be happy. If a man loves his wife he will want her to be happy. If a woman loves her husband she will want him to be happy. Compromise may be necessary. But when a wife isn't happy, or a husband isn't happy the relationship will suffer and neither will be happy.

You are trying to give an old adage more meaning than it has. Here is another for you...... Marry in haste, repent at leisure. Or, a son is a son until he takes a wife, a daughter is a daughter all of his life.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
You are trying to give an old adage more meaning than it has.
Maybe if I heard as many wives say, "happy husband, happy home" as much as I year the "happy wife" phrase I wouldn't hate hearing the happy wife phrase...which I just hear all the time.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:

Hmmm - I don't often hear men giggle...but if I did, my guess is that he's saying it in a patronizing manner. That it's more like "just keep the li'l lady happy and you can do what you really want to". So to me it's more of a superficial kind of thing - like just tell her what she wants to hear, meanwhile, carry on and she'll never know the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships