Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:03 AM

151 posts, read 90,558 times

Advertisements

Levels77,

Because when relationships have started this way (guy sees me, guy is attracted, guy pursues before I say one word), they don't last. With the men in my longest three relationships, they saw me but weren't interested until they knew how I thought, who I was. I suppose that could be the luck of the draw but every time one of the others fail it reinforces that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But he wasn't into you, except on a superficial level. So dating someone like that should "end badly". That's how you weed out unsuitable candidates. You come across to me as being needy of validation from these guys, so you go ahead and get sexually involved prematurely. But what does such superficial validation get you? Ultimately, nothing but self-doubt and disappointment.
I don't have sex early on with men. I wouldn't say I need validation but I feel invalidated by failed relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 42,533 times
Do you initiate conversations with guys?

Old 01-05-2019, 11:06 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toknow View Post
I've tried but it can be so hard to see yourself and your flaws.

I really try not to argue and I do not talk down to people. With this guy he would become intimidated if I tried to talk about anything too deeply. He would say, "You think too much. Everything's not that deep".

I'm looking to join some, yes.
lol. Not a good match. NEXT!

One needs to be able to have a conversation with someone. Hopefully--many conversations, satisfying conversations. You weren't able to do that, with that guy. "Sorry, this isn't working out. We're not on the same wavelength, here" is what you say in a situation like that.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:09 AM

553 posts, read 302,108 times
Quote:
Levels77,

Because when relationships have started this way (guy sees me, guy is attracted, guy pursues before I say one word), they don't last. With the men in my longest three relationships, they saw me but weren't interested until they knew how I thought, who I was. I suppose that could be the luck of the draw but every time one of the others fail it reinforces that idea.

I don't have sex early on with men. I wouldn't say I need validation but I feel invalidated by failed relationships.
Ok so that happened in the past. But keep trying. There are so many factors at play. Maybe they were too young and weren't looking for something serious to begin with. Who knows. You can only control you and one thing I think you need to change is to be open to all men, including the ones who approach you because they find you attractive. And don't give up on online dating just because it didn't work with one guy. Its how I met my partner.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:14 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Levels77,

The recent ones are relationships that never even should have begun. If they fail, it's because it wasn't a good match.

You were fortunate before; you say the guys in your first two relationships wanted to get to know you first. Finding people like that takes time and patience, usually. They're out there. I guess, that because you had a couple of successes in that respect early on in life, you're wondering why it's not working now. You just happened to get lucky. Don't take that to be the norm.

The more recent failures aren't because you're not LTR material. It's because the men you're choosing to get involved with aren't LTR material, OR they are (like the last guy you described), but they're not a good match for you. He even admitted he shouldn't have rushed into the relationship with you. That's all it is; getting involved prematurely. There's no mystery here.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:19 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It sounds like a high quality online dating service might be the way to go. You can screen for men with the same interests, intelligence level, and goals, without wasting your time on the other ones.

I know OP has no trouble meeting men, but quantity is a time waster. Screen out the ones who want to drag you rock climbing, and meet some quiet, scholarly types.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma8899 View Post
Do you initiate conversations with guys?
Sometimes but like I said in one of the posts very early on, that ends one of two ways for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levels77 View Post
Ok so that happened in the past. But keep trying. There are so many factors at play. Maybe they were too young and weren't looking for something serious to begin with. Who knows. You can only control you and one thing I think you need to change is to be open to all men, including the ones who approach you because they find you attractive. And don't give up on online dating just because it didn't work with one guy. Its how I met my partner.
When was this? I think online dating might have been good before it became really popular.

All I can tell from when I did it was that it prevented commitment. At first I thought, "Wow, I should have done this sooner!" Then I saw that no matter how many messages, likes, etc I got, very few took it past the initial stages. They had so many "options" that few could find a woman they liked and stick to her.

I will keep trying but I'll pass on the online stuff.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:25 AM

553 posts, read 302,108 times
Quote:
Sometimes but like I said in one of the posts very early on, that ends one of two ways for me.

When was this? I think online dating might have been good before it became really popular.

All I can tell from when I did it was that it prevented commitment. At first I thought, "Wow, I should have done this sooner!" Then I saw that no matter how many messages, likes, etc I got, very few took it past the initial stages. They had so many "options" that few could find a woman they liked and stick to her.

I will keep trying but I'll pass on the online stuff.
We met online 3 yrs ago. I liked him because he asked me out the day he contacted me.

Back and forth messages online I could put up with for about 1 week. Anything longer, I did not waste my time. I stopped communicating with them because as you said, those guys hardly ever took it to the next step to ask me out.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:30 AM

192 posts, read 109,847 times
OP, I can totally feel you, our age, conditions, experiences and even the definition for "fun stuffs" are almost the same (one more thing: I was also falling in love with someone that i shouldn't have lol) and I constantly ask myself the question.

Sometimes I wonder if we are trying too hard and worried too much. A friend told me that when we stop searching and the one would come... Idk. Perhaps you can organize trips from time to time to visit new places and people...? Sometimes it helps.

Best wishes for you!

Old 01-05-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levels77 View Post
We met online 3 yrs ago. I liked him because he asked me out the day he contacted me.

Back and forth messages online I could put up with for about 1 week. Anything longer, I did not waste my time. I stopped communicating with them because as you said, those guys hardly ever took it to the next step to ask me out.
But what if you two ran into difficulties or he saw something he didn't like? Why would he try to work it out with you when he could just log back into whatever site and search for a better match, in his opinion?

I ask because I ran into this while doing online dating. I would get "ghosted" by men before we met, then saw they were online or updated their profile. The guy who texted me to end things put his profile back up and was on the site the same day.

It's all very damaging to my sense of worth in relation to men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships