Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,001 times

Advertisements

They hooked up a couple times back in the days and now consider each other as brothers and sisters. I find that a little odd. Although this situation happened 10 years ago and I believe that it’s platonic and that he doesn’t have any feelings for her, I have a problem with him hiding it from me until now. We have been engaged for over 6 months, already sent the invitations out and he broke the news to me last week. I was not comfortable with having her at the wedding at this point. I asked for him to cut off contact because I have seen some dependency issues projected onto my fiancé from her. They don’t talk too often but my fiancé is the first person she runs to when she has relationship issues with her boyfriends. I believe that the past should stay in the past and having her in our lives in the future is unsettling. However, with that being said, I think that if he were to have told me before we got engaged, things probably would’ve been different. It would have allowed me to see his interactions with this woman in the long run and see if they’re both trustworthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 AM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Did he go over the invite list with you? I agree he should have told you when he knew she was invited, what made him finally tell you? He did finally tell you, so give him credit for that. He may have been conflicted about it, or it may be an absolute no issue with him and didn't think it mattered.

Also, he has to agree to your expectations about both sides contacting old flames in the marriage and appears this has not been discussed between you two. You'd think it should be understood, but it needs to be discussed together.

That said, if he wants to marry you, he wants you, not her. He's yours. Congrats. If she is seen in some wedding pics, have the photographer edit her out of the pics. This is not something to ruin the wedding.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Did he go over the invite list with you? I agree he should have told you when he knew she was invited, what made him finally tell you? He did finally tell you, so give him credit for that. He may have been conflicted about it, or it may be an absolute no issue with him and didn't think it mattered.

Also, he has to agree to your expectations about both sides contacting old flames in the marriage and appears this has not been discussed between you two. You'd think it should be understood, but it needs to be discussed together.

That said, if he wants to marry you, he wants you, not her. He's yours. Congrats. If she is seen in some wedding pics, have the photographer edit her out of the pics. This is not something to ruin the wedding.
Yes, he went over the invite list with me. He finally told me when we went over who has sent in their RSVP and who hasn’t. I think it was both; he thought about never telling me and didn’t think it was a big issue because he forgot about it.

We did end up discussing boundaries with the opposite sex right afterwards and agreed to not spending one on one time with the opposite sex alone.

Thank you for your perspective!

Old 01-17-2019, 09:21 AM

880 posts, read 531,268 times
You have the right to request him to cut her off if she makes you uncomfortable, and it's great that you were able to have this boundary discussion before you married. It's your relationship so you two make the rules.

I am still friends with some guys i have had "benefits" with in the past. Some of them i consider good friends. In my last relationship he was o.k with me maintaining a virtual friendship but no hanging out. He also had friends that he had fooled around with in the past, so the same rules applied to him. We trusted each other and never asked to look at the other persons phone.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Not really your place per se to tell him who he can associate with. All you can do is let him know whether or not it makes you uncomfortable. It's on him, what he does next. You can't control other people, you can only control yourself.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:27 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysparkles View Post
They hooked up a couple times back in the days and now consider each other as brothers and sisters. I find that a little odd. Although this situation happened 10 years ago and I believe that it’s platonic and that he doesn’t have any feelings for her, I have a problem with him hiding it from me until now. We have been engaged for over 6 months, already sent the invitations out and he broke the news to me last week. I was not comfortable with having her at the wedding at this point. I asked for him to cut off contact because I have seen some dependency issues projected onto my fiancé from her. They don’t talk too often but my fiancé is the first person she runs to when she has relationship issues with her boyfriends. I believe that the past should stay in the past and having her in our lives in the future is unsettling. However, with that being said, I think that if he were to have told me before we got engaged, things probably would’ve been different. It would have allowed me to see his interactions with this woman in the long run and see if they’re both trustworthy.
How long have you two been dating? The fact that he only told you now is a little bit weird.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
, I think that if he were to have told me before we got engaged, things probably would’ve been different. It would have allowed me to see his interactions with this woman in the long run and see if they’re both trustworthy.
But you have been seeing their interactions, just without a jaundiced eye which usually makes every little thing look suspicious, even when it isn't.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:43 AM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:
Yes, he went over the invite list with me. He finally told me when we went over who has sent in their RSVP and who hasn’t. I think it was both; he thought about never telling me and didn’t think it was a big issue because he forgot about it.

We did end up discussing boundaries with the opposite sex right afterwards and agreed to not spending one on one time with the opposite sex alone.

Thank you for your perspective!

If that's the rule you both agreed to, then it means it's ok for past flames can show up at parties and gatherings. And there was nothing to be upset about to begin with, but you did get upset. You should apologize if you told him you were upset about this.

That rule implies both sides do not have to inform the other when a past flame is going to be present at a gathering. Also need to clarify what one on one time alone means. Is it ok for them to talk together for 30 minutes with others around? Or alone mean no one else around?

Old 01-17-2019, 11:28 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Why do people think they can control what someone else does? even if they are in a relationship?

if you dont like what he does, then let your actions reflect that. leave him and find someone else

throwing a tantrum doesn't actually work on adults, they will keep doing what they want but now they will be more mindful to hide it from you

Old 01-17-2019, 12:04 PM

281 posts, read 247,159 times
Quote:

Darn, you are in a difficult position!

If I am in your shoes, I would be angry and question too why he chose to tell me now and not prior to sending the invitation list.

The issue with some of the advices on here is that they tend to be the extreme.

If that person wrong you, cut that person out of your life, etc....

Well, life is not that really simple, and relationship is not that simple. Most relationship requires two parties putting in effort, and work around problems and issues that come up. Relationship is never a black and white. If it is, most people would not be in relationship. There will always be trying moments.

If I am in your shoes, I would do as you did and talk to him. Only you know if you are being loved by him, if this relationship is worth staying in.

Wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships