Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 03:58 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
The person who chooses a non-stripper name. Those names scream "I will one day dance naked on a pole!" And if I saw any of those names on a resume, I'd drop it to the bottom of the pile (if not simply throw it away)....
That’s funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 03:59 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allierose View Post
So you hire people based on their names that they didn't even choose for themselves rather than their experience and achievements? Also strippers use fake names so the name they get at birth wouldn't be their stripper name anyway
It is definitely a red flag. I would wonder what kind of upbringing they had and what they consider acceptable behavior since they were raised by people that actually thought that was a good name for a child.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:02 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
Can you imagine calling her Glit for short? Sounds a lot like a part of the female anatomy ... reminds me of that Seinfeld episode!

Bah ha ha ha ha ha!

Old 01-23-2019, 04:02 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Well we can only really agree on Mercedes so probably going with that. What do you guys think of using a different middle name?
Mercedes is pretty bad. With or without the Glitter.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:52 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Mercedes is pretty bad. With or without the Glitter.
Mercedes isn't all that uncommon ( It's pairing with the Glitter part that's bad)

"Records indicate that 43,296 girls in the United States have been named Mercedes since 1880."

"In 2017 the uncommon name Mercedes, ranked the 1,060th Most Popular Girls Name in the United States. T"his once, top 1000 name, Mercedes is currently less popular. It reached its highest popularity ranking of #164 in 1991 with 1,797 occurrences. "
Mercedes - Popularity of Mercedes, How Popular Is the name Mercedes?

Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Mercedes is an actual name. It means "mercy."

Hispanic families have used it for decades. However, the most popular modern reference is the car brand, so that will be people's first thought.

Mercedes is better than Sparkle, but it would depend on the middle name. If you name her Mercedes Bacardi she will have a harder time than if you name her Mercedes Maria.

Please don't give your child a tacky name that is a brand name of a product. If you insist on giving her an unusual name, then choose a word that has general meaning - something from nature, the constellations, etc - or something that has actual meaning to you.

Names put forth an image, and you really need to keep your baby's life in mind when choosing one.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:23 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
If it has to be one of those names, "Mercedes Rose" isn't terrible, depending on how it sounds with your last name. Still, it's nicer if the names have some personal meaning to yourself and not just something random that seems catchy at the moment.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:27 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Well perhaps the baby's father should be helping you name the baby instead of your boyfriend.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:32 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
So you hire people based on their names that they didn't even choose for themselves rather than their experience and achievements? Also strippers use fake names so the name they get at birth wouldn't be their stripper name anyway
It isn't fair that happens or a good idea to base hiring decisions on a name, but unfortunately the world works that way sometimes. It's just one more way people are prejudiced and no they shouldn't be. But it would be better for someone not have to fight that hurdle when they don't have to. Hint: That's what nicknames are for and keep the formal name on things like job applications.

https://www.theladders.com/career-ad...wer-calls-back

Old 01-23-2019, 05:41 AM

279 posts, read 760,502 times
There are so many beautiful names to choose from, especially for a girl. I don’t want to be mean, but Glitter or Sparkle just don’t cut it. Mercedes is all right but I think you can do better. Go through baby name books or web sites and each pick out your top 15 or 20 - at least you can see some trends of what each of you like - maybe that can lead to some common ground.

I can understand not wanting an overly common name, though those trend up and down over time. What may seem somewhat unique now may not be in 5-10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships