Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 10:14 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,392,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
As a man, this really doesn't bother me, but I'm guessing this was a man, same situation...would this be a turn off for a 40-something woman?

Yes. Turn off but for any sex.

I think I'd be more bothered by not finding any other roommates, ie. friends and choosing to live with your mom than anything. But I have never had such a close relationship with a mother so its a relationship I can never truly understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 10:17 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
IDK, I think for a woman it can make some sense. Here this person isn't some pot smoking lay about without a job. She's a school teacher.

if her and old mom are living together it could be a mutually beneficial thing.

Note, could be, without knowing the person in real life I say this.
Some women are really close with their mothers, so it can be like a roommate/friend situation more than a parent/child one.

The bigger issue is probably more codependency than proximity. One of my coworkers is one from one of those families where everyone lives within a half mile of each other in the same part of town, and has for generations. She's single and doesn't live with her parents, but her day-to-day life is completely enmeshed with her family. Anyone dating her has to be party to that.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,050,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The bigger issue is probably more codependency than proximity. One of my coworkers is one from one of those families where everyone lives within a half mile of each other in the same part of town, and has for generations. She's single and doesn't live with her parents, but her day-to-day life is completely enmeshed with her family. Anyone dating her has to be party to that.

Fair amount of those in Rhode Island. I need to screen that crud out fast.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:29 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Some women are really close with their mothers, so it can be like a roommate/friend situation more than a parent/child one.

This. I had a friend who remained very attached to her parents. She would drive out of town to visit them fairly often, during her college days, and throughout adulthood. She said at one point, that her relationships didn't work out, because nobody could compare to how her parents loved her. When her parents passed away, she really slipped, mentally. And she never developed good social skills, because her parents were such a big part of her social life.

Sad. So, OP, we don't know anything about this woman, and it wouldn't be fair to pre-judge her, but the living at home in her 40's might be an orange flag.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,012,682 times
Hell yes it would be a turn-off for me...as it SHOULD be for a man as well.It's one thing if the person is living at home with the parent because of them being ill and it helps them out a lot...that's different.BUT if a grown ass woman or man lives at home with a healthy parent because the woman or man doesn't want to live alone???Well that would open up all kinds of issues if you were to choose to date someone like that.Leave them be and find someone else.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:53 AM

5,136 posts, read 4,497,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think that for some reason it's more of a stigma for a guy to be leaving at home with Ma. Women, probably not as much. I would imagine safety concerns of being a single woman on her own might be an issue. I don't know.
^^^^ This.

In some cultures, it's frowned upon for unmarried women to live alone if there is room at the family house.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:19 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,305,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
I'd want to know more about the specifics of the living arrangement. Is her contribution to home finances and upkeep that of an adult living with another adult? Or is it that of a perpetual adolescent who still relies on her mother?

Is she from an ethnic family that tends to have adult children stay at home until they get married? That might mitigate it, but I'd still have questions about her ability to be the kind of independent adult I'd want as a partner.
Those are some good points. If it's a high-COL area and Mom would otherwise be living by herself in a big house and the daughter would have to live in a ghetto it makes all the sense in the world.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:46 AM

575 posts, read 340,640 times
I simply cannot comprehend this. Does.Not.Compute.

WTF?!?

I started living in dorm at age of 18 and only made few visits per month, gradually less and less.

The amount of skills you learn by yourself is staggering.

She basically cannot be made happy as true happiness can only come from within when you're just with yourself.

Very interesting social and psychological experiment this woman. Just be careful of getting attached to "it"...

Old 01-28-2019, 11:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,050,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
The amount of skills you learn by yourself is staggering.

Very true. I've always mentally connected better with people that have uprooted themselves and started over a few times as independent adults. Taking it a step further from living on one's own, but the experience of picking oneself up and relocating to a place without a support system and building a live and social system from scratch and knowing you can do it again does wonders.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:56 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,085,512 times
These things have to be taken on a case by case basis.

Maybe she had a lot of debt from school or medical reasons and she's living there to become debt free faster.
Maybe her and her family are very traditional and women don't move out till marriage. A lot of my friends lived at home till marriage
Maybe she fears living alone in the part of town she can afford.
Maybe her MOM fears living alone.
Maybe she wants/hopes/plans to get married in the near future and doesn't want to invest in a house just to possibly have to sell it.

I guess I'm weird, I'd rather live with my mom than a random roommate. I do prefer living alone, though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships