Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:46 PM

17,718 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamspider View Post
It felt like a giant waste of money on my part since she wasn't even going to finish it and I knew where she was coming from. She told me that she makes a lot of her meals homemade by herself with stuff like fresh ingredients and all of that stuff. I snapped a little and I called her "snobby" and I told her that she needed to stop acting like she's smarter than me because she likes to pretend she's a food critic. She told me that she's just giving her opinion on what she called "overrated mainstream tripe" and I got sick of her way of talking. I argued with her that In-N-Out is objectively good
I've never had In-N-Out but very much look forward to trying it someday. I've heard nothing but good things about their burgers, and I really like the idea of the secret menu.

When Sonic came to my area, and I tried it for the first time, I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong...I enjoyed it, and I've been back several times, but it just didn't live up to the hype. I was expecting something really special and it just wasn't.

But you know what? None of that matters. OP, there is no such thing as objectively good. You acted like a child, and I feel that you are 100% at fault here. And, no, I didn't miss the part where she suggested you are a slob and then called you little piggy.

Look, dude, you can't be snapping at people (especially your girlfriend) because they don't share your opinions. And, frankly, I think your biggest issue is the money. Not cool. You knew in advance the type of food she likes, yet you pushed greasy fast food on her and then threw a hissy fit when she didn't like it. Even worse, you made it personal and insulted her for not sharing your fondness for a fast food chain.

Take a step back and perhaps you'll realize how ridiculous this is.

She traveled a long way to spend time with you. You insulted her, threw her out of your house, and forced her to make a 4 hour drive home because she didn't enjoy a meal that you paid $8 for.

And now you want to know how to fix things with her?????

Old 02-01-2019, 08:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I've never had In-N-Out but very much look forward to trying it someday. I've heard nothing but good things about their burgers, and I really like the idea of the secret menu.

When Sonic came to my area, and I tried it for the first time, I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong...I enjoyed it, and I've been back several times, but it just didn't live up to the hype. I was expecting something really special and it just wasn't.

But you know what? None of that matters. OP, there is no such thing as objectively good. You acted like a child, and I feel that you are 100% at fault here. And, no, I didn't miss the part where she suggested you are a slob and then called you little piggy.

Look, dude, you can't be snapping at people (especially your girlfriend) because they don't share your opinions. And, frankly, I think your biggest issue is the money. Not cool. You knew in advance the type of food she likes, yet you pushed greasy fast food on her and then threw a hissy fit when she didn't like it. Even worse, you made it personal and insulted her for not sharing your fondness for a fast food chain.

Take a step back and perhaps you'll realize how ridiculous this is.

She traveled a long way to spend time with you. You insulted her, threw her out of your house, and forced her to make a 4 hour drive home because she didn't enjoy a meal that you paid $8 for.

And now you want to know how to fix things with her?????
lol

Plus, there's the fact that she drove 4 hours to see you, so you should have played the gracious host, making sure your guest was happy. Hopefully, she made an effort for you to enjoy your visit, when you drove to see her, back when that happened.

Just chalk it all up to a learning experience. There's definitely a learning curve to this kind of thing. Everyone makes mistakes. And btw, consider taking an anger management workshop.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:12 PM

17,718 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
It felt like a giant waste of money on my part since she wasn't even going to finish it
Double-Double Burger $3.45
French Fries $1.60
Shakes $2.15

Subtotal $7.20
Tax $0.66
Total $7.86

Source: In-N-Out Prices

(Prescott, AZ sales tax is 9.1%)

Old 02-01-2019, 08:23 PM

399 posts, read 221,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
No more In-N-Out for her and no more in and out for you too!
This post is the winner of the thread

In all seriousness though, I agree that the OP is 100% at fault here. I've spent far more than that on food that my girlfriend didn't like, but I didn't feel offended. I felt bad, and offered her my food instead (we were at a restaurant and ordered different things).

Since you were at a fast food chain you should have offered to buy her a sandwich at a nearby deli or something, since she didn't like the burger.

But I agree with the others that there's no way she will want to get back together with you. She's probably pissed that she spent 8 hours driving to see you (which probably cost her $50 just on gas - far more than her burger cost) only to have you ruin things with a nasty, unnecessary fight.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 PM

12 posts, read 7,838 times
Everyone here seems to be misunderstanding this post.

I didn't get mad that she didn't like the food. I was just mad at how she went about it. She started acting like a snobby food critic who knows everything about food and the culinary lifestyle just because she does her own cooking. That's why I called her out and that's what started the fight.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:56 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:

I didn't get mad that she didn't like the food. I was just mad at how she went about it. She started acting like a snobby food critic who knows everything about food and the culinary lifestyle just because she does her own cooking. That's why I called her out and that's what started the fight.
.....and according to the account that you shared with us, you seriously overreacted. If you get angry about such a simple thing, it's not surprising that she took you at your word and left for home.

Three months in to a mostly online relationship, it might be best for both of you to cut your losses and move on.

If you don't mind if I ask, though: how old are you and your (former???) girlfriend?

Old 02-01-2019, 08:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:

There's no way to fix this.

She is who she is, and you are who you are, and they don't mesh. That's obvious based on what was said during the fight.

Y'all are incompatible, and that fight ... yeesh. You just don't talk that way to someone you supposedly love. You both were out of line, and you need to forget this and move on.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

Our point is, that it should never have gotten to the point where you called her out. Having noticed she wasn't eating her dinner, you should have asked her if she'd like to go somewhere else for dinner. The whole thing might have been avoided. Or....not. Maybe she would have lectured you about food, anyway.

Still, it all boils down to the fact that you two aren't compatible. You learned that about each other that day. She likes home-cooked food, probably with fresh veggies, nothing canned or from a box, and she feels strongly about it. And you enjoy a good cheeseburger. And maybe she has a stuck-up side to her, or maybe not; maybe she just feels that nutrition is important.

Anyway, it's over, OP. Sorry it didn't work out.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:23 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Quote:
Me and my long-distance girlfriend have been dating for about 3 months. We hooked up on Skype and we found out that we live in states right next to each other and we've been doing a lot of bonding through Skype and texting and stuff like that. We've only met up once in person since we live four hours apart (I live in Prescott, AZ and she lives in Gallup, New Mexico) but we recently met up for a second time and it didn't go well at all.

She made the four hour drive to my place here in Prescott and for the first day, we had a great time just doing stuff like playing in the snow, touring the city, and stuff like that. Then on the second day, I suggested that we go out for lunch at our local In-N-Out Burger. There aren't any In-N-Out's in New Mexico, so she was really looking forward to eating there since I had been hyping it up a lot. We got some to go and took it back to my place and that's where things got really bad. She took a bite out of her burger and had some fries and she was awfully quiet. She usually talks a lot and is very exclamatory when she eats food that she likes, so I knew that she wasn't impressed. She told me that the cheese was too overwhelming and she could barely taste the meat, and she also thought the fries were bland. Then she tried her Neapolitan shake and she didn't like that either. She just referred to it as "sludge" and she told me that she wasn't going to finish any of what she ordered.

It felt like a giant waste of money on my part since she wasn't even going to finish it and I knew where she was coming from. She told me that she makes a lot of her meals homemade by herself with stuff like fresh ingredients and all of that stuff. I snapped a little and I called her "snobby" and I told her that she needed to stop acting like she's smarter than me because she likes to pretend she's a food critic. She told me that she's just giving her opinion on what she called "overrated mainstream tripe" and I got sick of her way of talking. I argued with her that In-N-Out is objectively good, but she responded with "Only for a slob". I then said "Fine, next time we'll eat you awful homemade food and I'll refuse to eat it. How about that?" We then started going back and forth. She kept calling me "little piggy" because of how often I eat fast food and I called her "pretentious" because she likes to pretend she's a food critic. I then yelled at her to go back to Gallup and stay there and she left.

That all happened yesterday and we haven't texted, called, Skyped, or communicated at all and I'm at a loss in terms of what to do. I feel really bad and I want to try and sort things out with her, but I'm worried that she may not want anything to do with me. She hasn't bothered to try and communicate with me and I'm worried that we might've just broken up. What should I do to fix this?
First off it’s factually correct that In and out is disgusting.
Secondly a waste of money? You mean like $5
Finally she drove four hour for your lamesauce to take her to In and out WTF?

Old 02-01-2019, 09:25 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:

So basically you were complaining about her personality. That's never good for a relationship. You can complain about an action, but I don't think that's what you did. You were calling her names. How do you expect her to act given that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships