Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 05:48 PM

7,601 posts, read 6,104,237 times

Advertisements

when I was younger, my ex wife and I would get into near knock-down drag outs over films and disagreements therein. Talking almost going to blows and then not speaking to each other for days.......
When someone would ask, Id say "Oh I did not care for that new Costner film" or "OH I said that I liked Kubrick and she LOST IT."

Fortunately we got divorced went our separate ways, and I have been enjoying films in peace ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 06:34 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,427,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contoscaro View Post
I've very recently started a new YouTube channel. I only started it a few weeks ago and I was finally ready to do my first review after trying to figure out how I want to do these reviews. I decided that I wanted it to be super casual and not overly-produced, so I figured that it would be nice to experiment with just shooting these reviews in my car after having come out of the theater. My girlfriend also wanted to come with me and do the review, so we went to see the new Dumbo remake last night.

We got out of the movie, got in my car, and turned on the camera to film the review. I stated that I hated the movie, but my girlfriend loved it and she went as far to say that she thinks it's the best movie she's ever seen in her life and that it deserves to go down as one of the greatest films ever made. I understand that everyone has their own opinion and taste, but she was being VERY hyperbolic and I couldn't help but give her a weird look. She caught my eye, said "What?" and I just said "Nothing". She went on with her thoughts on the movie, then I went on with my thoughts, and I mentioned all of its flaws like the bad acting and the fake-looking effects.

My girlfriend rebutted and she mockingly said to me "Let me explain more of my thoughts without you being all grouchy." I told her that I wasn't being grouchy, but then I turned off the camera when it looked like we were about to fight right then and there in the middle of the review. I told her that I'm just explaining my thoughts and that we shouldn't fight about it. I turned the camera back on to start over the review, but then my girlfriend immediately goes into talking about how it's one of the best movies ever made. I told her that to say that is like saying that it's as good something like The Godfather or Jaws. I told her that she needs to stop and think about the film and to let it marinade before jumping right into the overall conclusion. Then she starts saying to me "You always act like you're so much smarter than me just because you're in a film class!"

She was screaming at me, to the point where I couldn't even understand what some of what she was saying. I turned off the camera again and yelled at her to get out of the car if she was going to act like this, so she throws her soda on me and leaves. I just drove off and we haven't talked since. I do feel a little bad about what happened and I don't want this to lead to a break up. I want to make things work with her, but at the same time she also embodies everything I hate about young girls like her. I'm 22 and she's 20, but she still acts like an overly-dramatic, hyperbolic teenage girl in high school. Where do I go from here?
She is nuts and wants attention, IMO.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,037,797 times
Hopefully this is a viral marketing failed attempt/

Old 04-02-2019, 07:11 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,764,166 times
Nobody thinks the new Dumbo movie is one of the best films ever made.

This sounds like the same poster who had the long distance relationship that spiraled out of control after he picked a restaurant his girlfriend didn't like and they got in to a huge fight over it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...iend-just.html

Old 04-02-2019, 07:14 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,052,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contoscaro View Post
I've very recently started a new YouTube channel. I only started it a few weeks ago and I was finally ready to do my first review after trying to figure out how I want to do these reviews. I decided that I wanted it to be super casual and not overly-produced, so I figured that it would be nice to experiment with just shooting these reviews in my car after having come out of the theater. My girlfriend also wanted to come with me and do the review, so we went to see the new Dumbo remake last night.

We got out of the movie, got in my car, and turned on the camera to film the review. I stated that I hated the movie, but my girlfriend loved it and she went as far to say that she thinks it's the best movie she's ever seen in her life and that it deserves to go down as one of the greatest films ever made. I understand that everyone has their own opinion and taste, but she was being VERY hyperbolic and I couldn't help but give her a weird look. She caught my eye, said "What?" and I just said "Nothing". She went on with her thoughts on the movie, then I went on with my thoughts, and I mentioned all of its flaws like the bad acting and the fake-looking effects.

My girlfriend rebutted and she mockingly said to me "Let me explain more of my thoughts without you being all grouchy." I told her that I wasn't being grouchy, but then I turned off the camera when it looked like we were about to fight right then and there in the middle of the review. I told her that I'm just explaining my thoughts and that we shouldn't fight about it. I turned the camera back on to start over the review, but then my girlfriend immediately goes into talking about how it's one of the best movies ever made. I told her that to say that is like saying that it's as good something like The Godfather or Jaws. I told her that she needs to stop and think about the film and to let it marinade before jumping right into the overall conclusion. Then she starts saying to me "You always act like you're so much smarter than me just because you're in a film class!"

She was screaming at me, to the point where I couldn't even understand what some of what she was saying. I turned off the camera again and yelled at her to get out of the car if she was going to act like this, so she throws her soda on me and leaves. I just drove off and we haven't talked since. I do feel a little bad about what happened and I don't want this to lead to a break up. I want to make things work with her, but at the same time she also embodies everything I hate about young girls like her. I'm 22 and she's 20, but she still acts like an overly-dramatic, hyperbolic teenage girl in high school. Where do I go from here?
Welp...don't do reviews with her anymore. That's for sure. If she can't respect your work, leave her out of it.

About your relationship...if you think she's worth hanging on to, I guess reach out to her. I wouldn't apologize for anything though, except maybe leaving her stranded in the parking lot I guess.

From what you described, she was way over the top from the get go.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:16 AM

I'm curious...was alcohol involved in this?

Old 04-02-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Your youtube channel would be way more popular if you left the fight in. From a pure marketing standpoint, no one is going to care about your review of the movie. There are bazillions of movie reviews from legit people; however, this ridiculous situation that resulted would be entertainment fodder.

Lesson #1.

Lesson #2 is that anyone who throws things at you is a psycho and you need to remove yourself from their presence.

Actually, that's a good point. More people will watch it for sure. As a matter of fact, (and I'm not being facetious) make more reviews with her in them. Two very very differing opinions would be fun.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:20 AM

924 posts, read 1,680,871 times
If I only think about the humor of this situation, then I would encourage you to continue to do reviews together. The movies may get one star, but the review of the movie will get five!

On a more serious note, that the situation deteriorated to nonsensical screaming, is terrible, on her part. Huge red flag there.

I don't know how you told her to get out of the car, so how I feel depends on that. Was it "GTFO" screamed at the tops of your lungs or was it "hey, you need to get out until you calm down?"

She threw a drink at you? To me, that's a relationship ender.

You drove off and left her there alone? Also, a relationship ender. Acceptable is "It's clear things are too heated to drive home together, I'll wait over here until your Uber arrives" and you give her a few dollars to help cover it.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:50 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,803,555 times
OP is gone folks.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:09 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,926,473 times
lol ....look at you all pissy referring to the "fake-looking effects" in Dumbo and then in the next paragraph you call JAWS "good" ..............."I told her that to say that is like saying that it's as good something like The Godfather or Jaws.I told her that she needs to stop and think about the film and to let it marinade before jumping right into the overall conclusion. Then she starts saying to me "You always act like you're so much smarter than me just because you're in a film class!"

classic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships