Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 07:15 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times

Advertisements

This is funny...my husband asked me the other day if I would still be attracted to him if he gained an insane amount of weight...I said only if it was due to illness or something involuntary...if you became overweight just due to your own sloppiness or inactivity, of course I would become less attracted to you! Obviously you would be lacking pride in yourself to let yourself go, and if you did not love yourself enough, its hard to find that very sexy.

But on the other hand, we also talk about how we can't understand how people gain weight after marrying. I was never overweight, but after moving in and getting married, I have only gotten in better shape, because I now have a work out partner, and before I worked out 4 days a week, now my husband and I workout 6 days a week because we motivate each other.

Same with him, he is in better shape now than he was before and we only look better every month, every year. People notice and compliment all the time. And yes this is even after children. I don't get it, you have to be around someone who sees you naked, how embarassing to be obese and out of shape around someone that you are supposed to be sexy around! It's just something neither one of us understand, but I guess thats a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:39 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,921,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Therein lies the problem...the hinting, he is sending her subliminal messages that say "you're not good enough for me when you're at your current weight" He may be genuinely concerned but he's going about it all wrong. Good intentions maybe.

The gym membership could possibly add more fuel, it depends on the nature of the gift. I'm not saying he should buy it for her, I'm suggesting that he be more supportive rather than controlling. Maybe take her out for lunch (HER CHOICE of resturant, not his) and mention to her that he would love to see her smiling face again. That's he's heard of some friendly gyms that are for women only and would she like to go visit some? Then she can decide which one works best for her. Most gyms offer childcare for people while they work out.

I remember my "ex" husband helped get me motivated after I had my second child as well. He did it in a very caring way allowing me to make the decision for myself. He went to group excercise classes with me, ect.. and now I teach them! So your friend shouldn't give up, just be more supportive.

I can garantee you she is suffering from depression. Physical activity will be the best medicine, working with someone will give her the momentum and motivation she needs.
You're probably right since you can directly relate to my coworker's wife as a woman who has had children. Congrats to you for not only going to the gym but teaching classes. My coworker doesn't usually share a lot of personal "deep moments" w/ me, but this was one time I could clearly tell that the more he talked about it, the more he was becoming annoyed and frustrated about it. I hope it doesn't cause him to become unfaithful, but I'll probably never know either way (not that it's my business).

Old 04-20-2008, 11:33 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
You're probably right since you can directly relate to my coworker's wife as a woman who has had children. Congrats to you for not only going to the gym but teaching classes. My coworker doesn't usually share a lot of personal "deep moments" w/ me, but this was one time I could clearly tell that the more he talked about it, the more he was becoming annoyed and frustrated about it. I hope it doesn't cause him to become unfaithful, but I'll probably never know either way (not that it's my business).
Well if he is unfaithful it won't be because of her weight, there's a deeper issue going on. It is sad, but this kind of thing happens to marriages all the time.

In the words of Alicia Keys's song "When you really love someone"

When it's real it's unconditional I'm tell'n ya'll
Cause a man just aint a man if he aint man enough
to love you when you're right, love you when you're wrong
love you when you're weak, love you when you're strong...

Old 04-20-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Well if he is unfaithful it won't be because of her weight, there's a deeper issue going on. It is sad, but this kind of thing happens to marriages all the time.

In the words of Alicia Keys's song "When you really love someone"

When it's real it's unconditional I'm tell'n ya'll
Cause a man just aint a man if he aint man enough
to love you when you're right, love you when you're wrong
love you when you're weak, love you when you're strong...
I didn't mean to imply he'd become unfaithful. What might be more accurate is that he'd just deal w/ "more of her" and live w/ the frustration.

Maybe if she's still overweight when she's older and their kids are older, her kids might motivate her to shape up. My siblings and I did just that w/ my Mom and she's gotten in better shape over the years b/c of it. I don't think my father was ever annoyed my mother's overweight factor, but I was and I was not shy to tell my mother about it. She did and is still doing something about it.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply he'd become unfaithful. What might be more accurate is that he'd just deal w/ "more of her" and live w/ the frustration.

Maybe if she's still overweight when she's older and their kids are older, her kids might motivate her to shape up. My siblings and I did just that w/ my Mom and she's gotten in better shape over the years b/c of it. I don't think my father was ever annoyed my mother's overweight factor, but I was and I was not shy to tell my mother about it. She did and is still doing something about it.
Well your friend might end up joining millions of Americans who live very frustrated lives because they feel trapped by marriage.

On a happier note. Way to go MOM!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Well your friend might end up joining millions of Americans who live very frustrated lives because they feel trapped by marriage.

On a happier note. Way to go MOM!
He just might.

Thanks! What's funny is when my siblings and I fly back to see the folks, we (esp. my brother) go through their kitchen cabinets and throw away junk food. I have a feeling that when my mother knows we're coming, she hides the junk food.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I have a feeling that when my mother knows we're coming, she hides the junk food.
A wise mother you have

Old 04-21-2008, 09:14 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
He just might.

Thanks! What's funny is when my siblings and I fly back to see the folks, we (esp. my brother) go through their kitchen cabinets and throw away junk food. I have a feeling that when my mother knows we're coming, she hides the junk food.
As she should! You're not much different than IbeDavid.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
As she should! You're not much different than IbeDavid.
He also censors his parents' junk food?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:25 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
He also censors his parents' junk food?
Don't play dumb ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships