Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 05:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,203,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I agree with him.

My ex husband and I have been divorced well over a decade. I still own the truck he drives. We both have had several relationships without it causing no issue.
I could sort of imagine someone owning a vehicle that is used by an ex-spouse. It may make it easier for transporting their shared children or allowing the ex-spouse to have a job to be able to pay child support, etc. However, it is pretty difficult to imagine a situation where the ex-wife and the ex-husband have a joint checking account where they both deposit their entire paychecks. I don't know any divorced couples who would trust their ex-spouse with their entire paycheck. And, imagine the situation where your ex-spouse sees every check that you write (and vice versa). And, imagine trying to make sure that you don't bounce any checks when both you and your ex-spouse can write checks.

The OPs situation sounds pretty fishy to me. IMHO, something is very odd with two ex-spouses sharing their main checking account where they deposit their full paychecks (especially when the ex-wife is married to a new husband).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 05:38 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,045,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
People who still have some kind of connection w/ their ex-BF/GF or ex-spouse WANT to have an excuse to still have to contact each other. I wouldn't want it AT ALL if I was the CURRENT SO/spouse.

The only reason that I can see to stay connected to an EX is if you have children together. Otherwise, there should be NO other reason. That's why be careful who you have kids by. If someone gets pregnant by a loser, they'll have to deal w/ that person for at least the next 18 yrs.
Not necessarily. I hardly ever see or talk to my ex husband. I might see him in the neighborhood bar, we might nod but that’s the extent of our communication.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:39 PM

3,290 posts, read 2,369,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_spent26 View Post
According to him, they started it when they moved in together and both put money to make paying bills easier. He currently has a great credit score, qualified for the house on his own. He has repeatedly said that she is horrible with money.

They were never married. Together for 10 yrs, when he turned 30 (she's 2 yrs older) she thought he'd propose so she left to avoid having the proposal happen.
Sorry. This entire situation sounds unrealistic. If he has a great credit score, who in their right mind woul$ trust her with a joint account. She +old clean him out if he didn’t trust her. I am sure she can put him on the hook for something financially.

You really gotta use your brain here. Picture being him. You are with a woman for ten years. You turn 30 and after ten long years, the girl you think you will spend the rest of your life with euddenly ends the relationship because she is fearful you want to get married. You wouldn’t be crushed? Your entire life was tutned upside down yet you trust her with total access to all of your money. The only time someone would do that is if they are hoping that hoping and waiting for them to come back to them. You are simply a si$e order. Nothing more. You shouldn’t have allowed you and your kids to mobpve into HIS house. You have no rights or authority their. He could throw you out at any time if you get him mad enough or she decides to come back to him. It isn’t worth the free rent. That is bordering on gold digging behavior. I know it’s easy for everyone to say to get out of there but we all know this cannot end well. He has complete control of you and your kids lives and reminds you of it. You will be out on your a$$ when you are 30 with two kids. Good luck finding a quality man that would want to get involved with you at that point.

Best wishes. I have a feeling you are scamming us because this is so ridiculously unbelievable.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:54 PM

12,792 posts, read 15,034,943 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. I hardly ever see or talk to my ex husband. I might see him in the neighborhood bar, we might nod but that’s the extent of our communication.
Right & that's GOOD. Do you have anything to still linger your connection (other than kids)?

I'm talking about people who still have some kind of connection w/ each other (other than kids) such as bank accounts as in THIS thread's case, still owning cars/other property, etc. seem to WANT to (even though they don't have to) just to have an excuse to stay in contact.

People who break up should WANT to have a clean break...no lingering on (except for kids like I said), so they're focused fully on their next, new relationship. It's only fair to the new significant other.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:27 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,203,782 times
Quote:

My ex husband and I have been divorced well over a decade. I still own the truck he drives. We both have had several relationships without it causing no issue.
Quote:
I hardly ever see or talk to my ex husband. I might see him in the neighborhood bar, we might nod but that’s the extent of our communication.
I'm confused. You own the truck that your ex-husband drives but you hardly ever see or talk to him? How do you make sure that the registration is paid every year? How do you make sure that the truck has insurance?

If your ex has a serious accident and injures or kills someone and he doesn't have insurance you could be responsible for everything because you own the truck.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:37 AM

12,792 posts, read 15,034,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm confused. You own the truck that your ex-husband drives but you hardly ever see or talk to him? How do you make sure that the registration is paid every year? How do you make sure that the truck has insurance?

If your ex has a serious accident and injures or kills someone and he doesn't have insurance you could be responsible for everything because you own the truck.
Totally right!

Yes, "real smart" LowenLuck! Now you'll probably say that you two ended things on good terms & he's a "good person" & you trust him to not $cReW you over.

Yes, SO FAR nothing's happened. You don't know who else he'll meet in life who isn't responsible or trustworthy & do God knows what & he gets in trouble w/ this truck that's in YOUR name. Why ever put yourself in that position if ANY kind of mess even happens?!

And if it's because he can't get his own truck in his OWN name because of some past bad history of his, then who's the fool here?! Apparently not him because he's getting what he wants out of it from you who's enabling it.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:02 PM

575 posts, read 340,372 times
Quote:
And, imagine the situation where your ex-spouse sees every check that you write (and vice versa).

And, imagine trying to make sure that you don't bounce any checks when both you and your ex-spouse can write checks.
I'm totally lost here how can someone subject themselves to the above several times each month when they handle the finances.

They both see each other's purchases and at any time the other one can overdraw the account at the moment's notice.

Just.

Insane.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Right & that's GOOD. Do you have anything to still linger your connection (other than kids)?

I'm talking about people who still have some kind of connection w/ each other (other than kids) such as bank accounts as in THIS thread's case, still owning cars/other property, etc. seem to WANT to (even though they don't have to) just to have an excuse to stay in contact.

People who break up should WANT to have a clean break...no lingering on (except for kids like I said), so they're focused fully on their next, new relationship. It's only fair to the new significant other.
I own the truck he drives. No kids. He terminated rights to my oldest years ago. He is not her bio parent.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Well I can see on our MVA if the registration is up to date. He has a insurance policy and has to include me on the policy for my protection. The agent sends me notices if the insurance lapses.

He was orderedyo put it in his name when we divorced. He didn’t. I tried ordering titles over the years to do it, and he received all of them in the mail. I don’t know why he has left it in my name. I assume he has a terrible driving record so it has offered him a cheaper policy but I have no proof.

The truck is 20 years old. I assume it will rectify itself sooner than later.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Totally right!

Yes, "real smart" LowenLuck! Now you'll probably say that you two ended things on good terms & he's a "good person" & you trust him to not $cReW you over.

Yes, SO FAR nothing's happened. You don't know who else he'll meet in life who isn't responsible or trustworthy & do God knows what & he gets in trouble w/ this truck that's in YOUR name. Why ever put yourself in that position if ANY kind of mess even happens?!

And if it's because he can't get his own truck in his OWN name because of some past bad history of his, then who's the fool here?! Apparently not him because he's getting what he wants out of it from you who's enabling it.
See my previous explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships