Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:48 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
I don't necessarily think it's always about cheating.

When I read the OP's last statement where she asks him if he's taking the phone to walk the dog, to me that says much more about having some anxiety.

I think a lot of people get too wrapped up in the security of their phones. They also watch too many sensational, bad stories on the news about abductions, freak accidents, and the like. I think it is one of the many contributors to helicopter parenting.

It sounds more to me like the wife gets some sort of feeling of comfort (and maybe it is about control--having control for people reduces their anxiety) knowing where her husband is. Yes, he's out walking the dog, but maybe he's gone longer than usual. Did a car come and hit him alongside the road (this has happened a few times where I live), did the dog get away? If I can see him on his phone, I can feel better. If I know where he's sitting at any given time, I can feel better. Ah, he's at Applebee's at 9PM and not in some deserted field.

I'm exaggerating here, but there are people who feel this way.
Sounds like a paranoid, insecure person that could use some therapy, not enabling.

A couple of guys I dated did the "call me when you get home" thing, so I know you made it home safely.
Hey, I'd been driving for years and never had an accident, and it's not like there is bad weather or anything. Both of those guys ended up having serious control issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 09:51 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Sounds like a paranoid, insecure person that could use some therapy, not enabling.

A couple of guys I dated did the "call me when you get home" thing, so I know you made it home safely.
Hey, I'd been driving for years and never had an accident, and it's not like there is bad weather or anything. Both of those guys ended up having serious control issues
Really??? Almost every guy I date or just are friends with says that none of them have any control issues

Old 05-23-2019, 09:52 AM

880 posts, read 531,268 times
Quote:

Hey, I'd been driving for years and never had an accident, and it's not like there is bad weather or anything. Both of those guys ended up having serious control issues.
I say that to all my friends...wait...i am controlling, never mind.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
I say that to all my friends...wait...i am controlling, never mind.
That means every time you leave somewhere you need to contact everyone you were with when they arrive home?

I never made a guy who dropped me off from a date call me when they got home. That would be a lot of phone ringing (pre-cell phone days) waking up my family or roommates late at night. It is really paranoid, and/or controlling, unless you live in a war zone and expect something bad to happen on a short drive home.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
That means every time you leave somewhere you need to contact everyone you were with when they arrive home?

I never made a guy who dropped me off from a date call me when they got home. That would be a lot of phone ringing (pre-cell phone days) waking up my family or roommates late at night. It is really paranoid, and/or controlling, unless you live in a war zone and expect something bad to happen on a short drive home.
You are completely exaggerating.

I go home from a date/meeting with friend at night and when I am home I text "made it home safe, thanks for the nice evening."
That's it.

Pre-cell phone? WTH? We have 2019. Let's not discuss what was 20 years ago.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:02 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
If my wife ever wanted to know my location at all times I wouldn’t mind, but I would question her true intentions for wanting to do so. Especially so if she was texting me asking why I was somewhere or wanting to know every detail of why I went somewhere.
If I can’t make a call, I can’t make a call. I’ll shoot a simple “busy” text over if possible.

If either or become serious issues for her I think she would be aware enough to understand how suffocating her actions would be if called out.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
If my wife ever wanted to know my location at all times I wouldn’t mind, but I would question her true intentions for wanting to do so.
If I can’t make a call, I can’t make a call. I’ll shoot a simple “busy” text over
People disappear. People have accidents. People lose their phones and don't know where it is.

There are innocent reasons to share location. Just saying. I know married people who share locations and none of them is controlling, jealous, or ever even checking up on the partner. It is just for safety reasons.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:07 AM

880 posts, read 531,268 times
Quote:

When I'm out with a group i have one friend that checks on me, regardless if shes out or not, she knows i live alone, its a simple safety precaution.
My partner travels internationally for work and always checks in with me because he knows i worry about him travelling alone.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You are completely exaggerating.

I go home from a date/meeting with friend at night and when I am home I text "made it home safe, thanks for the nice evening."
That's it.

Pre-cell phone? WTH? We have 2019. Let's not discuss what was 20 years ago.
Same concept. I'm also talking about every time. Especially with one, I was made to feel I had to call, he would be waiting. Ugh. He wanted to make sure I didn't make any stops on the way home. It's the same mentality as sharing location which I'm sure he would have wanted to do if it were available.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:16 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
So there is trust issues?

.... also, maybe she wants to track you so she can do shady things.
No, I'm really not worried about that, for a lot of reasons but suffice it to say we trust each other. I trust her that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Eeek

Has she always been like that?

It's a bit much.
She's very much a schedule oriented, organized person. I am not so much. I dislike short-term commitments (ie, committing to a time frame to be done with something. I'm done when its done.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships