Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 05:08 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

No difference in dating between renting and owning to me. Never has come up. Certainly isn't something that comes up pre meeting. People have asked if I had roommates, but that's an issue that comes up when we're figuring out what place to spend the night, but that is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 07:13 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
I know two guys:

Guy Number One works a day job (pays well enough). His wealth is his house, worth about $525K, and in which he has about $30,000 in equity. Mortgage payment is about $3,000/month. If he sold the house today, that equity would be almost entirely wiped out by broker fees, leaving him with about $2,000.

Guy Number Two has his own consulting business, makes a bit more than guy number one, and has about $65,000 in cash/securities/other liquid assets. He rents, paying about $2,300/month, a portion of which can be deducted from his taxes since he often works from home.

Which one is more responsible?

What's your point? That there are exceptions? No sht, sherlock. An exception to a rule doesn't negate the rule. As I said, people apply filters to narrow the field because there isn't time or desire to deeply evaluate many candidates to find that needle in a haystack exception. The aggregate data is clear.

Every three years, the Federal Reserve conducts their Survey of Consumer Finances in which they collect data across all economic and social groups. Their latest survey data, covering 2013-2016 was recently released.

The study revealed that the median net worth of a homeowner was $231,400 – a 15% increase since 2013. At the same time, the median net worth of renters decreased by 5% ($5,200 today compared to $5,500 in 2013).

These numbers reveal that the net worth of a homeowner is over 44 times greater than that of a renter.

https://www.keepingcurrentmatters.co...than-a-renter/

Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I bought my first house when I was 21. And I am a woman. At that age I didn't expect a man close to my age to have a house. However, I wouldn't go out with anyone that had an expensive car and lived in an apt.

Now I am happily married to a man with similar values. However, if I were to find myself single, I wouldn't date someone living in an apt unless there was a good reason for it. I wouldn't marry without a prenup.

I never expected to "find a man to provide me with a house" or anything else. I have been self supporting from an early age. So......do the women that won't go out with you be because you are a renter have their own homes? I can understand them not wanting to get involved with a fellow that they think might want to move in with them bringing nothing much to the table. You could have one hell of a portfolio, but that's not something that is apt to be obvious. If they don't own anything, I don't think they should be holding out for a fellow with a house. I haven't read all the posts so I don't know how old you are. That can be a factor, too. Seems like one might have higher expectations for a 35 year old than a 25 year old.
That was so smart. I wish I had learned the financial discipline and had the knowledge to buy a house that young. I probably would be worth a lot more money now. You must have had good parents who taught you about money and set you up right in life.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:35 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Why would you? That's just stacking on a quite unexpected and unrealistic expectation.
Agreed. But I do want someone who is responsible with money. However, its unfair to say that only homeowners are responsible. You never know why someone may be renting.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:01 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
At the age of 25, you were able to afford a whole apartment complex? ..........

yes, people who are 25 can buy real estate. People who are a lot younger than 25 can buy real estate. I know of a couple of different 16-year-olds who have bought real estate (with their parents signing paper and holding title until the kid turns 18.)

If people want real estate, they sit down and figure out how to do it. There is plenty of information, for free, on the web about how to buy real estate, but the person who wants to buy real estate and doesn't qualify for a traditional homeowner's mortgage, will have to invest a couple of hours into research and some serious effort into getting the real estate purchased.

I know people who are currently buying duplexes for $10,000 and triplexes for $30,000. No, that is not in Southern California or New York City, but those bargains are out there in some of the other parts of the country.

If it helps you understand it, banks consider part of the rent that will be incoming as income to qualify for the mortgage,

Old 05-24-2019, 08:32 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
I know too many renters who are wealthier and more financially savvy than most homeowners.
I think you just see renters spend more money while homeowners have their "wealth" invested in their home.

I personally think homeowners are more financially savvy but I understand the thought of people not wanting to date homeowners because they are "stuck" in their house. A lot of people want to date and then find a place together and not move into someone's house that's already furnished and decorated. I get that. You don't want to fall in love with someone who has a house you do not like and who is determined to stay there. You have to feel at home, too.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:25 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
I have on, VERY rare occasions, seen someone say in their profile "Must be a homeowner". Which is kind of strange as single people are mostly associated with renting. I mean, a homes are usually associated with families. Why have an unused bedroom or two?
And that was my first thought on reading OP.
A guy owning a home likely means he places a high value on family, whether that means looking forward to raising a family of his own, or having close relationships with extended family who are welcome to stay in the home. Around here I can see that being very important to a lot of women, especially if you have started dating the 25 and over crowd.

OTOH I really want to know how/where you came up with this tidbit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I can't believe the number of women willing to exclude a renter at a luxury apartment complex in favor of any property owner, even if he owns a derelict single wide in the country.
How many women have you asked this question? I can't fathom how you know all these women prefer trashy trailers over a nice apt, and why are you attracted to the profiles of these women anyhow?

Old 05-24-2019, 09:41 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It has been my observation that the single Landlords always appear to get a lot more action from the ladies.

I think that once ladies they know you are a landlord, you become more attractive to them. It is certainly not about your salary income. They know you have money management skills and you have no commitment issues.
"Can you please don't make any noise when we have sex? I don't want to wake up my parents/roommates?"

"We can only have sex on Wednesday and Saturday afternoon when my parents/roommates are out"

"Please only confine yourself to being naked in my bedroom. I don't want my parents/roommates seeing you with no clothes"

"No, you can only have showers during certain times when no one can hear you"

Living on your own sure is better than with parents and roommates! But then who needs to have sex?

Old 05-24-2019, 10:33 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Look at it this way, the tenants might earn more, but they will never accumulate a large net worth, most of them will have to wait for SS before they can afford to retire and many of them will be so far in debt that even with SS they will have to keep working. Whereas guys who are landlords accumulate net worth much faster, and can afford to retire early. I retired when I was 42.

When I bought my first apartment complex I was 25 and in college on the GI bill, I was married and not shopping for girlfriends. Starting then, I have known many other fellow landlords. It has been my observation that the single Landlords always appear to get a lot more action from the ladies.

I think that once ladies they know you are a landlord, you become more attractive to them. It is certainly not about your salary income. They know you have money management skills and you have no commitment issues.

I suspect that when ladies see a home-owner it might be the same kind of thought process.

A guy living in his parent's basement might own a 30-year old car and a stereo, but with his 4X minimum wage income, he is simply not as attractive as a homeowner making payments on a new car with a 2X minimum wage income. And I think that to continue this metaphor, a guy who owns 6 apartments with a minimum wage income, is likely more attractive than both of the previous guys.

yes, this is exactly my thought process. A guy in a rental with nice cars and other toys is less attractive to me than a homeowner with an old car (I am into cars). Real estate is investment - toys, vacations, .... aren't. "living in the moment" or "you only live once" people who own nothing but spend a lot aren't very attractive to me.

People who have children get a pass on not owning real estate, children are expensive, I get that.

I am not a gold digger. I own my home outright because I am good with money and I worked hard for it.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:39 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Let me finish this up with, "Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships