Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:39 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Tradition.. meh..

Can care less about it.. but some are nice. But not when its an expectation. Like going to a dodger game is a nice tradition. Things like religion and arranged marriages or expecting for someone to marry only certain people or develop their relationship a certain way.. not so nice..

I bet you're loads of fun at parties. It was a nice little moment in a couple's life and you have to drag in some pointless observation in order to play some weird game of oneupsmanship.

Back to the OP. I didn't ask for her father's permission, chiefly because they were in Australia. But, then again, we had a whirlwind courtship, certainly not enough time for the kind of proposal you described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 06:54 AM

272 posts, read 185,224 times
The other knee will come down soon enough

Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Yeah, that's why I put the "asked" in quotes. I think it was just a (very nice) formality.

Wow, that says a lot about you, he told you but not his own parents.
It does indeed, but probably not completely what you think. He is also of a different race and cultural background. He often has to assert his "independence" and set boundaries with his mother. He may have also discussed it with them in the past. Truthfully he likes my husband more than he likes me. After 7 years he's finally learning that when I state an opinion on something I don't expect my daughter or him to do what I say. While I may have had helicopter mom tendencies to an extent, he had/has a tiger mother. There's a difference.

He also works very hard at making sure he's doing the "American" thing.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:37 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I just reread what I wrote.

It's beautiful and if anyone says otherwise they got a cold distant unfulfilled heart..... you'd have to be a real stooge to not see the absolute beauty in that scenario and to be honest I wouldn't want to know som eone that can be critical of that.

In plain speak, what an asshat.
I agree on both counts. I come to appreciate scenarios like the one you shared versus the run of the mill dysfunction of skanky women and deadbeat men that seems to have normalized in a large segment of the population.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:49 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,627 times
Its nice to see a positive thread! And what a beautiful moment that was for all of them

Old 05-29-2019, 11:13 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Its nice to see a positive thread! And what a beautiful moment that was for all of them
It is a beautiful picture! I think I would have one of those ASMR moments if I was there.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:58 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
That's beautiful.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:55 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
A friend of the family has a daughter, low mid twenties. This weekend her boyfriend proposed on top of a bluff over looking the vast Pacific Ocean. He went ahead of time and asked her parents for her hand in marriage. They all agreed and the whole family planned the event. He took her up to the top of the hill overlooking the ocean and asked her to close her eyes and when she does he gets down on his knee and the rest of the family comes out and the whole thing just sounds like something out of a rom com.

I gotta admit, I got a little misty eyed thinking about it.

Sometimes traditional things are nice.

Very very nice.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:28 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
A friend of the family has a daughter, low mid twenties. This weekend her boyfriend proposed on top of a bluff over looking the vast Pacific Ocean. He went ahead of time and asked her parents for her hand in marriage. They all agreed and the whole family planned the event. He took her up to the top of the hill overlooking the ocean and asked her to close her eyes and when she does he gets down on his knee and the rest of the family comes out and the whole thing just sounds like something out of a rom com.

I gotta admit, I got a little misty eyed thinking about it.

Sometimes traditional things are nice.
Sometimes in this day and age, there are moments with beauty that can’t just be captured with a smartphone. You actually have to live it to get the full feeling of the beauty of the moment and hope to have dreams of that moment just to even come close to reliving it. Chow, what you described is one of those moments and hate to say it but your description can’t even do it justice to what it must have felt like for the couple.

But sharing this was a beautiful moment and, honestly, a nice break from the combat here.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:25 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Great thread - as I read the description it reminded me of the last time I visited Point Fermin Park. Those graffitied ruins/cliffs are just to the left of the park area. Funymann's post reminded me of that part, because there's been quite a few slip-and-fall-to-their-deaths that took place there. The area is fenced off with signs but we saw several people hop over the low railing.

I love to read and hear about these kinds of thoughtful proposals and engagements. To find someone you'd like to spend the rest of your life with is a truly wonderful feat. Doing it with such style and class says a lot about the folks in your OP, Chow. Thanks for sharing a nice story to mix things up around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships