Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 07:35 AM

3,647 posts, read 1,601,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndrat View Post
Last month, I was set up on a date with a girl. Her mom had actually set us up after I met her at a booth she had set up at a local festival. She was rambling about how she wants me to meet her daughter since she'd been trying to set her up with a guy for a long time. I ended up going on a couple of dates with this girl and we seemed to be having a good time. Not long after that, I asked her to officially be my girlfriend and she said yes. In the next few days after that, we spent some time together and things seemed fine, but I've just gotten some news from a friend of mine.

By a weird coincidence, my friend and girlfriend actually work at the same job and he's told me that she's always going out of her way to interact with some guy that she has a romantic history with. Apparently this guy and my girlfriend went on a date once, but they never officially started going out because she used the "I'm not ready for a relationship" excuse. But my friend says that she's now started talking him again. (they stopped talking after she called things off) He says that she's constantly asking him how he's doing, saying hi to him, saying bye at the end of a shift, etc.

I'm seriously worried that she likes this other guy at work and is now leaving me in the dust. I want to believe that she's just displaying friendly behavior and she's finally feeling confident in them being friends, but I just don't know. Am I overreacting?

Asking her to be your "official" girlfriend sounds possessive and I'm sure she feels you are. She said yes so you could keep dating. By "official" do you mean she can't date others? If so, that is a PROFOUND restriction you are expecting of her and makes YOU come across as desperate and needy. She has already picked up that vibe and it's not romantic.

In dating, women decide IF, WHEN, and HOW a relationship will happen. Not the man. If she wants to be exclusive and put a label on 'us', let her do that. What's the man's job? To provide for the opportunity for her to make those if, when, and how decisions. Take her on fun dates that don't feel possessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 07:47 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
OP, if you have to worry about what a woman's doing elsewhere, then she's not yours to begin with. And don't believe in heresay to much.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:52 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Asking her to be your "official" girlfriend sounds possessive and I'm sure she feels you are. She said yes so you could keep dating. By "official" do you mean she can't date others? If so, that is a PROFOUND restriction you are expecting of her and makes YOU come across as desperate and needy. She has already picked up that vibe and it's not romantic.

In dating, women decide IF, WHEN, and HOW a relationship will happen. Not the man. If she wants to be exclusive and put a label on 'us', let her do that. What's the man's job? To provide for the opportunity for her to make those if, when, and how decisions. Take her on fun dates that don't feel possessive.

I do not know the original poster, so I do not know his history. Nor am I familiar with the other thread someone else alluded to. But.... this 2nd paragraph I quoted seems bizarre to me.

It does take 2 people to have a relationship. And, being needy and controlling is not good in a relationship.

However, there is nothing wrong with asking someone you are dating if they would not mind being exclusive. I am not talking about the original poster in my comments now, but just the 2nd paragraph I am quoting.

Feeling possessive can go too far, but I just cannot see things as stated above in the quote.

Last edited by MisterShipWreck; 06-08-2019 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-08-2019, 08:09 AM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I doubt she would have agreed to be your girlfriend if she liked this other guy so much. People have opposite sex friends at work who they feel comfortable with. You’re the real boyfriend. Show her a good time.
Not the impression I'm getting.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I do not know the original poster, so I do not know his history. Nor am I familiar with the other thread someone else alluded to. But.... this 2nd paragraph I quoted seems bizarre to me.

It does take 2 people to have a relationship. And, being needy and controlling is not good in a relationship.

However, there is nothing wrong with asking someone you are dating if they would not mind being exclusive. I am not talking about the original poster in my comments now, but just the 2nd paragraph I am quoting.

Feeling possessive can go too far, but I just cannot see things as stated above in the quote.
Women decide if, when, and how there is going to be a relationship. If they didn't a man could walk up to a woman on the street and command her to be his on the spot. When dating it's best when exclusivity is her decision, when she wants it, so that she feels free to love or not, and love is not a command. If a man asks too soon, when she's not feeling ready, why is HE so anxious? That will feel possessive to her.

So just let her bring up exclusivity. And she will for certain when she is in love with him. Women fall in love 10x slower then men. Men have to be patient and allow that to happen.

In the OP they started dating last month! She is not in love with him yet and he asked her to be his 'official' gf. She said yes. But he heard about her getting cozy to an ex. Now he's freaking out. Why? Because he thought they made a deal that she is HIS and no one else. He wants exclusivity is him really seeking approval from her that he is good enough to be her only bf. Instead of dumping labels on her, what he should do is take her on romantic dates that rock her boat. Instead, he wanted to possess her right away. She is not going to be feeling that way this soon. Let the woman decide is always best.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:44 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
But he heard about her getting cozy to an ex. Now he's freaking out.
He didn't hear about her getting cozy, he heard about her saying "hello," "goodbye," and "how are you?" to him. If exchanging pleasantries with a coworker is grounds for concern in a relationship, then most of us are in trouble.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:54 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Stalking by proxy?

Old 06-08-2019, 09:58 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:

Wow. This is just straight-up weird.

Quote:
Women decide if, when, and how there is going to be a relationship. If they didn't a man could walk up to a woman on the street and command her to be his on the spot. When dating it's best when exclusivity is her decision, when she wants it, so that she feels free to love or not, and love is not a command. If a man asks too soon, when she's not feeling ready, why is HE so anxious? That will feel possessive to her.
If he "asks too soon," she says no, end of story.

Asking is not "commanding."

You have some strange ideas about relationship dynamics.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:48 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

You have some strange ideas about relationship dynamics.

I agree....

His comments are somewhat strange...

Old 06-08-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

If he is asking too soon when she is not in love with him, because he is anxious, like the OP is, will almost certainly cause her to pull back and go 'wait a sec'. It will feel like to her he wants to control her. If it's too soon for her. It's like asking her to get married when she wasn't feeling that at all.

So guys just be patient and do the right things to make her fall in love with you, and she'll want to be exclusive, and she will let you know. When it's her idea she is invested in the making of the relationship.

Quote:
I'm talking to the OP. Or a guy too anxious asking for a commitment from her. The OP hasn't dated the girl even two months and looks clear he asked to be 'official' not for her benefit, but for his insecurity. He basically was demanding a commitment from her.

Last edited by james112; 06-08-2019 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships