Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 01:15 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times

Advertisements

Some guys are fortunate enough to be around single women all day. However, in this PC society, I wouldn't ask out a woman I work with. There is one I work with who is supposedly engaged (haven't seen her wearing a ring lately), and is definitely my type. I just don't know her well and work on the opposite side of the office from her. Other than that, zero single women in my daily life. I mean, there may be a few at the gym, but who approaches women at the gym? I sure don't. Also, many are there with men anyway. I mean, what am I supposed to do? I always see attractive women with rings on in the grocery store. I don't know. I'm moving to a new neighborhood, so maybe that will help, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 PM

1,593 posts, read 776,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
She was what, 13? 14?

Don't tell me you are garnering life lessons about women from one-time behavior by an "early high school" teenaged girl.

Or are you joking?

ETA, if this is not just an apocryphal story, the time to ask her out was when she was touching you. Not later by text.
15. Not joking. Zen, that’s the only time something like that has ever happened to me, so yes, I tried to ponder and learn what it meant in terms of women’s behavior toward me and what their inclinations might be. Sample size of one may be flawed, but it’s all I’ve got.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:08 PM

1,593 posts, read 776,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Not strange to me. Married women have a ring to keep single guys from even thinking about being interested. Single women don’t have that luxury and are more likely to put their walls up against interested guys they aren’t interested in.
I wouldn’t say walls is what I’ve experienced. Single women are usually polite and friendly, pleasant to be around. Women who are romantically unavailable seem to be more likely to banter with me.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:13 PM

651 posts, read 407,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
True, but it also means the same as unfriendliness.

"showing no friendliness or enthusiasm; stiff or formal in behavior or style."
Yeah, I have never heard of this term being used outside of the sexual context tbh.

Irregardless of any of that, this is an interesting thread that really made me think of things. It kinda sucks that I got to a point that almost everything I do others tend to interpret as driven by some ulterior motive of me "getting through to someone", even though many times it is not. In fact, it rarely is. I am no player, nor do I want to be.

I think I am going to adapt OP's ideology and position myself very neutrally to people I interact with. Staying completely level-headed might be the best policy of all. The problem is that many like myself are driven by fear that they are behind on some family life goals. But at the end of the day, there is a greater design for everyone and there are only so many things that can be forced

Old 05-29-2019, 02:17 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
15. Not joking. Zen, that’s the only time something like that has ever happened to me, so yes, I tried to ponder and learn what it meant in terms of women’s behavior toward me and what their inclinations might be. Sample size of one may be flawed, but it’s all I’ve got.
It's flawed alright.

Basically, you have deduced that all adult women are like this one pubescent girl you met one time.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:21 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
The problem is that many like myself are driven by fear that they are behind on some family life goals. But at the end of the day, there is a greater design for everyone and there are only so many things that can be forced
Yeah, a male friend of mine who has never been married, late 40s. Has rushed down the aisle with a woman he only dated for 2 months, engaged to for only a week, and married after that week. I was like "What were you thinking, dude?!"

He said that he wasn't getting any younger, and so no reason to wait this this chick. He did know her for years, but on a very much a Facebook level acquaintanceship.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:55 PM

622 posts, read 395,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Male View Post
So how's that working out for you?
That was my first thought too.

OP, when you feel like giving dating another chance and a woman comes along that interests you, at least smile and talk to her. If she gives you the cold shoulder, don't pursue. If friendly, then ask her out for coffee and see where it goes. If you don't take a chance, you'll lose for sure.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:11 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
...But at the end of the day, there is a greater design for everyone and there are only so many things that can be forced

You've been doing a lot of pondering lately VanMarlton, are you feeling your male biological clock ticking? Making some changes or moves? (I'm not being sarcastic.)

Old 05-29-2019, 03:16 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Agreed! A woman being single for years doesn't indicate she is frigid or unaccepted by society. In my case, I'm not interested in being committed (in a relationship)...at the time. I have been without a serious relationship off and on for years. I'm not sad or complaining or "wondering where all the good men are". Good men are all around me, I'm glad I get to choose.
I'm pretty sure the title of the thread is Straight Men Who Don't Pursue Women though, some posters seem to want to keep steering this to What's Wrong With Women.
And its always the same ones who do it. So tiring.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:29 PM

651 posts, read 407,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
You've been doing a lot of pondering lately VanMarlton, are you feeling your male biological clock ticking? Making some changes or moves? (I'm not being sarcastic.)
Hard to say. Sure, it would be nice to have kids of my own, but I would not want that to happen when I am in mid 40s and beyond. On the other hand, if it never happens - well, maybe thats not for me for whatever reason. I guess the main takeaway is that I dont need to stress out over this one way or the other.

With that being said, not "getting any" in general really sucks day-in/day-out no matter how I look at it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships