Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 12:46 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
[/b]

Come on man? You make it sound like you're paying to rear their child rather than pay for a date.

Exactly. If a meal is not like someone is paying to rear their child then why not pay for what you order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Look.

You do not seem to understand...

There is a thing, where some women have some expectation (entitlement?) that a man is going to pay, they think it is just the way that a gentleman acts. Yes, that is a thing.
And it is not considered sexist but if a man thinks a lady is the one that should cook, do the laundry, clean the house, etc. then all of a sudden gender roles are sexist. Go figure.

Quote:
Hell sometimes they are "Love Language of Gifts" guys, and that's just how they show that they are into someone, and the refusal of a gift is not only rude it feels like a rejection of their gesture of affection. Some guys will get mad because it feels emasculating to have a woman pay when on a date (I had a Hispanic man about lose it, I thought he was going to hit me for even asking once. Ah yeah, Macho Culture thing. He actually asked, "You don't think I'm a man?")
Interesting thing is that there is not really anything that would “femasculate” a woman. Is there really something women feel the same pressure about to fulfill on a date or considered “less than a woman” to not do it? Something only women are expected to do just like men are expected to do the work when it comes to dating.

Quote:
It's all a minefield of weird assumptions and guessing games for all of us, here
Yes. This can vary from culture to culture too.

Quote:
So seriously, if I, a woman, have made every move to try and pay for my own dinner, and the guy is INSISTING on paying, then am I supposed to fight him over it or what? And, I mean, I can try to even the score by paying for something else later, but not if I have no intention of seeing him again. Then what? I can't personally help it, that this whole idea that some people have, of a man paying, is a THING. I didn't make it a thing. I don't work to keep it a thing. It's not MY thing!
I had a woman put her foot down on this issue but then again she was not American. She didn’t “try” to offer, she actually put her foot down in a nice lady way. Made total sense when she wrote on that note that she wanted to go out, had a great time, wanted to do it again, etc. and she felt it was the right thing to also show me her appreciation by contributing to expenses.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:36 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,627 times
Yikes. The issues people have are pretty crazy.... so argumentative and a clear ax to grind.

Adults usually work it out during the date and carry on. I have never had a man tell me that I am using them for a meal (or whatever). EVER.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:54 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
And it is not considered sexist but if a man thinks a lady is the one that should cook, do the laundry, clean the house, etc. then all of a sudden gender roles are sexist. Go figure.

Interesting thing is that there is not really anything that would “femasculate” a woman. Is there really something women feel the same pressure about to fulfill on a date or considered “less than a woman” to not do it? Something only women are expected to do just like men are expected to do the work when it comes to dating.

Yes. This can vary from culture to culture too.

I had a woman put her foot down on this issue but then again she was not American. She didn’t “try” to offer, she actually put her foot down in a nice lady way. Made total sense when she wrote on that note that she wanted to go out, had a great time, wanted to do it again, etc. and she felt it was the right thing to also show me her appreciation by contributing to expenses.
Regarding your first statement here...

The cost of a first date, compared to a lifetime of work? Those do not compare. But as it so happens, I frown upon the idea of a woman feeling entitled to men doing all the work in dating, paying for everything and so on. I don't appreciate these "we never talk about this but totally expect you to step up and do it" assumptions. I dislike many of the (what I consider to be) GAMES that people play in dating.

I'd say if a man wants a wife who will keep the home and raise the kids and such, then he should talk about that while dating rather than marrying a woman who has clearly said she wants a career, then trying to bully, coerce, or persuade her to change her mind. If it's a strong requirement, he needs to find someone who will agree to it. Nothing wrong with the role, it's not sexist, but having this ASSUMPTION that any man should pay for a date or any woman should enjoy cooking and cleaning, is what's sexist. The "there's only one correct way for a man/woman to behave" thing is sexist, and it's BS.

I don't dig it. It's not my thing.

But no, I am not going to "put my foot down" or argue about it either. As I've said, I come prepared to pay my way, a man doesn't need to say or do anything but keep his mouth shut, and it will happen.

Hell, the guy I was having a fling with for a while, I invited him to dinner at a very nice (and expensive) steak place and I told him it was my treat and I paid for both of us. I had a feeling things were winding down between us, and I was right, and I wanted to express my gratitude for the good times we'd had together. He had never bought my meal on any of our dates, but he'd cooked some amazing food for me at his home (he grew his own produce and even made cheese, and it was really good.)

I would love to have a poll, something to ask if someone is a man or a woman, and then what they are most comfortable with on a date - The man paying for all, the woman paying for all, or split/separate checks. Because I believe I encountered more men who insisted on paying, than a man is likely to encounter women who insist on them paying.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:03 PM

892 posts, read 484,517 times
it might be a good idea to try another person if ideas about first dates are incompatible. sometimes this experience is just how to find that out. nothing lost but a lot of unnecessary stresses.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:12 PM

20,107 posts, read 9,018,880 times
who cares, its a lousy $50.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:38 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
who cares, its a lousy $50.
$50! Wow lol. Most of mine probably were closer to $20. But then, I don't drink. Guess I'm a cheap date. lol

Old 06-19-2019, 03:07 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times
I find it perplexing that some people feel that asking someone out on a date is "a lot of work". They make it sound like making plans to spend a couple of hours with someone is on par with digging ditches in 100 degree weather. Initiating a dinner date or asking someone for coffee is so much WORK! LOL. Cry me a river.

The victim mentality is strong here.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:11 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I find it perplexing that some people feel that asking someone out on a date is "a lot of work". They make it sound like making plans to spend a couple of hours with someone is on par with digging ditches in 100 degree weather. Initiating a dinner date or asking someone for coffee is so much WORK! LOL. Cry me a river.
Do you never get anxious when you ask a man out on a first date, when you have some doubt he'll accept?

Old 06-19-2019, 03:15 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Do you never get anxious when you ask a man out on a first date, when you have some doubt he'll accept?
Anxious, of course, that is perfectly understandable. But after they say "yes" that anxiousness becomes excitement and anticipation.

I always look forward to spending time with the person I have asked to join me. If it felt like "work" I wouldn't have asked in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships