Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 03:01 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I really want you to understand that this kind of dynamic really isn't sustainable long term.

Your personalities are completely different, and the way you have described her is not something she really can or will change.

I have personal experience with this. She certainly may agree to adapt for a short time, but she will revert after a while, and if you have children it will become completely intolerable. In fact, there is a very strong chance that she will treat you like a child over time and lose respect for you as a man over time.

I am not trying to be an alarmist or drum up the worst case scenario here. I'm sharing what my life experience has taught me … that people who think their way is the right way do NOT make good partners, and the way you have described yourself is a red flag for a life as a doormat.
Agreed. People who think their way is the only right way tend to not exactly be adaptable people who are open to change and improvement. Even if you think it's not the extent of abusiveness (though I think it is if you feel you're walking on eggshells around her), it's highly unlikely she will change. My grandfather, mother, and brother are all this way - my grandfather and mother are not to the extent of abusiveness, they never made me feel like I'm walking on eggshells around them, but they definitely can't even comprehend that other people do things differently sometimes. It's a nightmare to live with, even if it's not abusive, it will drive you nuts. My brother, however, is abusive and manipulative in this way, so please don't underestimate this possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 03:20 PM

6,865 posts, read 4,860,189 times
Chances are it will get worse over time. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Better to break things off now than proceed with the relationship and be picked apart on a daily basis.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
I don't put up with mean behavior the minute it happens. I point out the annoyance, that it is close to crossing boundaries which will result in a break up. You are not trying to annoy her on purpose so she needs to control her feelings and come up with a solution for them.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprig78 View Post
But she is questioning whether she can deal with me not doing things her way and the future of our relationship. Thoughts?
The fact that BOTH of you are questioning the relationship, speaks volumes.

Generally speaking, when women start “thinking about it”, they are already emotionally gone.

Last edited by metamorphosis; 06-11-2019 at 06:56 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 06:50 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,324,039 times
I am the same way to a point. If I see the other person is incompetent and cannot do the simplist things then I wonder if this is a person I can depend on to carry thier own weight. That is a deal breaker for me.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:38 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Insecurities.

She’s trying to control the things around her.

You have to nip that in the bud. It will get really bad if you don’t.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:48 AM

272 posts, read 185,191 times
Put her back on the market

Old 06-12-2019, 04:09 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why do you put up with constant criticism from someone who is supposed to care for you?

Was your mother like this? Are you a people pleaser?
Probably. Sounds like he's the sort to dim his own light so as not to outshine his partner.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:25 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Her behavior is a red flag, IMO. Get ready to run.

My response to such control would be: you can ask me to do something, but then you can't tell me how to do it. If you want to tell me how, I get to decide whether I'll even do it. Otherwise, do it yourself.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 1,959 times
and the end result of all this is,

We just broke up.

Oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships