Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:04 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Thank goodness I didn't subscribe to my spouse ABOVE all others. Parents included!!
My Bio Dad was text book narcissistic. His comments were lethal. I chose to keep my distance. I didn't chose my husband over my relationship with my Dad. I did choose to keep him at a safe distance. He was not austersized . He could see the grandkids all he wanted. We moved to finish my husbands degree. It wasn't a getaway move. It was a move towards a better life goal.

I didn't have a good relationship with my mil. I accepted her passive aggressive attitude. What I did learn is...she loved her grandkids. I refused to disrespect her for that kindness.

Op- keep that door open on them having grandparent time. These two adult ladies need to set their own boundaries. They ARE both capable of that I would think.
Yes moving will dissipate some of the crux of the matter. Which is ...both ladies are placing you in a position that really isn't yours to be in.

No one other then you two can sign off on a divorce. That's silly to say someone (parent)is forcing you to divorce.
Did your dad talk smack about your spouse to other family members?

Psst.. the word is "ostracized".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 11:10 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Cut her off and out.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Did your dad talk smack about your spouse to other family members?

Psst.. the word is "ostracized".
Thank you Mrs Daniel Webster! Duly noted.

Yes he spoke smack about anyone. He was an equal opportunity destroyer.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:26 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I think the move will really help. I do think that the grandchildren should get to see the grandmother unless it’s a toxic environment.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:02 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Thank you Mrs Daniel Webster! Duly noted.

Yes he spoke smack about anyone. He was an equal opportunity destroyer.
And you felt it was best to just tolerate his poor behaviour, rather than to set healthy boundaries?

Old 06-16-2019, 02:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
You appear to believe that cutting off your mother is something your wife is trying to get her way about... like having a dog or buying car.

Someone is emotionally abusing your wife. If it were a person on the street making nasty comments about her, would you invite that person out to dinner or over to see your kids?

You have probably been involved with your mother's narcissism for your entire life, which makes it very difficult for you to recognize the actual problem, I think. It doesn't matter if she has NPD is is "just being a B". She's hurting your wife!

Do you love your wife? Yes, you say. Do you think it's okay for someone to be mean to her and hurt her? I would hope that's a "No!" When you choose your mother over your wife, you tell your wife, "Well, I think it's okay if someone's mean to you. I think our kids should see someone putting you down."

Does that make any sense to you at all?
Genius

Old 06-16-2019, 02:44 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Why should your wife be the one to draw the line? It's not her mother!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Are you always this passive? Waiting for other people to make decisions and set boundaries for you?
Quote:
Why have you not INSISTED that your mother apologize? You are not a disintetested bystander. Stand up for your wife.

Be a man, grow a pair, and stand up for your wife. Don't you understand what ''forsaking all others'' means???

Last edited by buddy5; 06-16-2019 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Dementia is ever creeping in on me.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:54 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
And you felt it was best to just tolerate his poor behaviour, rather than to set healthy boundaries?
Pardon? Most folks may have opinions. Unsure if I stated his behavior. But do feel free to conclude incorrectly.

The OP is an adult. His wife is an adult. She has a voice. She can take her OPiNION and Behave as a grown up and state her own boundaries directly to the perceived offender.

It's an insult to women that the wife has to play damsel and have hubby fight her battles. That is not how today's ladys wish to be portrayed. Married or not, speak up .

I feel sorry for the couple. Poor guy has a less then charming mother and a wife that is willing to chew off his ear. Misdirecting her anger at him instead of dealing directly .

Fwiw, foresaking all others,,is about remaining faithful and thwarting off infidelity. Good gravy ...talk about twisting a simple vow!

Old 06-16-2019, 03:59 PM

264 posts, read 200,108 times
You need a divorce...from your mom.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Pardon? Most folks may have opinions. Unsure if I stated his behavior. But do feel free to conclude incorrectly.

The OP is an adult. His wife is an adult. She has a voice. She can take her OPiNION and Behave as a grown up and state her own boundaries directly to the perceived offender.

It's an insult to women that the wife has to play damsel and have hubby fight her battles. That is not how today's ladys wish to be portrayed. Married or not, speak up .

I feel sorry for the couple. Poor guy has a less then charming mother and a wife that is willing to chew off his ear. Misdirecting her anger at him instead of dealing directly .

Fwiw, foresaking all others,,is about remaining faithful and thwarting off infidelity. Good gravy ...talk about twisting a simple vow!

It has nothing to do with his wife’s independence or capability as a woman. This is a power play where the mother and son are not properly emotionally separated. The wife can stand up to the mother all she wants, but it won’t make a difference until her husband actually does what is necessary to let his mother know that she does not control their marriage.

It’s extremely difficult for children of narcissistic parents to do this because the parent has trained him his whole life to kowtow to her. His mother will rail against him and accuse him of all manner off betrayals. It’s truly painful to do, but necessary if he wants any chance of his marriage surviving.

And yes, forsaking all others applies here because his mother currently sees herself as a third party to their marriage. He has to leave his father and mother, physically and emotionally, and remind his wife of her place in his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships