Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 09:59 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

I don't know, it depends on the person I suppose.

I sure do enjoy being alone rather than being stuck in a miserable relationship.

But I do like what was mentioned at the end, the stigma that surrounds single older women AND men, especially without kids, as if something is 'wrong' with them.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ppiness-expert

Quote:
However, Dolan said men showed more health benefits from tying the knot, as they took fewer risks. Women’s health was mostly unaffected by marriage, with middle-aged married women even being at higher risk of physical and mental conditions than their single counterparts.

Despite the benefits of a single, childless lifestyle for women, Dolan said that the existing narrative that marriage and children were signs of success meant that the stigma could lead some single women to feel unhappy.

“You see a single woman of 40, who has never had children – ‘Bless, that’s a shame, isn’t it? Maybe one day you’ll meet the right guy and that’ll change.’ No, maybe she’ll meet the wrong guy and that’ll change. Maybe she’ll meet a guy who makes her less happy and healthy, and die sooner.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 10:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
That is strange not long ago I saw stats that said anxiety of young women was significantly higher than prior generation
I am assuming that some 45 million divorces after no fault became law had a cooling effect on the marital industrial complex

Old 06-03-2019, 01:00 AM

818 posts, read 456,507 times
Yep , exactly.
They seem anxious as ever for some commitment to me.
Sure l know some may prefer that but l also think you couldn't trust much they grandstanded about when asked something like that.
lotta angry bitter women out there.
But eh , even if it is truly the case which l very very much doubt, it's a win fir guys finally anyway because at last they'll be off our ass .
The young guys can run a muck haha, eh , we all can !.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:53 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Damned if you do, damned if you don't lol

Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
So, you’re saying a woman are better off without man?

Old 06-03-2019, 04:48 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
When you're all alone you can't blame anyone else for your problems other than yourself. Only most people don't want to do that so they just ignore their problems and go on being "happy".

Old 06-03-2019, 05:58 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
When you're all alone you can't blame anyone else for your problems other than yourself. Only most people don't want to do that so they just ignore their problems and go on being "happy".

What?

Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
I believe the true essence of happiness is the ability to choose what life you want. I think once people realize they have that freedom and they can do what makes THEM happy, is when they find the inner peace and happiness they are seeking.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:52 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
I'm one without spouse or children and consider myself content and happy. Having been married before, I do like the privacy afforded to singles. There is something about living alone that's very satisfying...no one's schedule to be concerned with, no worry over young or adult children.

Missing out on family life? Yes, but you can't miss what you've never had....

Old 06-03-2019, 09:12 AM

1,593 posts, read 776,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'm one without spouse or children and consider myself content and happy. Having been married before, I do like the privacy afforded to singles. There is something about living alone that's very satisfying...no one's schedule to be concerned with, no worry over young or adult children.

Missing out on family life? Yes, but you can't miss what you've never had....
I disagree. You may not understand the nature and truth of what you’re missing like someone who has experienced it does. But this issue touches on desires that are primal and coded into our behaviors by evolution. Humans generally feel a deep need for companionship, contact with other humans, to reproduce, a desire to be nurturing to a future generation, things like that. Even someone who on an intellectual level has decided that having children isn’t for them feels sexual desires from their hard-coded biological urges to reproduce. Someone who wants something these primal desires are injecting into their nature, and yet doesn’t have it...I think they can absolutely feel pain over lacking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships