Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 01:04 PM

145 posts, read 325,722 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at places to move in close to work/campus while I get my masters. There is one place in particular I am interested in (great place). Roommate is getting his grad degree at the same college and works 8-5, like I do. Thing is, the roommate is a guy and my boyfriend (dating for 3 years) isn't too happy about the fact that I am leaning towards the place with a male roommate.

I have tried to reassure him, I think the fact that we dont see each other much during he week due to our schedules and distance means I'd technically be spending my nights with just the roommate.

Guys how do you feel about this living arrangement? Has your gf/wife ever had a male roommate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 01:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
I had three male roommates. But in my case I was living with them before meeting my BF.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:11 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
A roommate is just a roommate, a co-renter. If you've been with your bf for 3 years, he shouldn't have anything to worry about. You can call him evenings, and visit with him by phone. This sounds like an opportunity to find out if your bf is the jealous, controlling type. With both you and the roommate working full-time AND going to grad school, who would have time for any extracurricular activities, anyway? BF needs to get real, hopefully he'll mellow out after he's been around and sees the situation. I guess it's easy to feel insecure about a situation like that, but it's not like you're going to be socializing with the roommate, or constantly talking about him, or anything. You'll have your own life.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:19 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
I can see why your BF would be upset. You will be living with another guy. You two could hit it off really well and something could happen. You may end up spending a lot of time together.

I had a male roommate. We hit it off the moment we met and we actually spent many hours together the first time we met. We let it get too far that night, if you know what I mean. I did end up renting from him and we had strict boundaries after that. I did like him a lot! We were great friends though.

Anything can happen.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:21 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I had three male roommates. But in my case I was living with them before meeting my BF.
I think that makes a big difference. I know I wouldn't be okay if my SO took in a female roommate, someone he didn't even know. Yes, your BF should trust you, but at the same time, living in close quarters with someone of the opposite sex has the potential to create issues in your relationship that don't need to be there.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I would dump any boyfriend who objected to me living with a male roommate. Done deal.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I would dump any boyfriend who objected to me living with a male roommate. Done deal.
So his feelings get completely disregarded and the answer is to dump him? That's not how good communication and a healthy relationship work.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
So his feelings get completely disregarded and the answer is to dump him? That's not how good communication and a healthy relationship work.

Yah but neither is seeing jealousy and cheating opportunities everywhere you look.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:33 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
It sounds like you bf doesn't really trust you. My wife lived with an ex-bf when I met her, and that continued for over a year until she and I got a place together. The thing is, I trusted her, and having met him, I could tell he was respectful of her relationship with me.

Of course, not everyone is trustworthy, so take each situation on its merits.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I would too but not because I want to be a db. For me, it would represent a fundamental attitude difference. If I am in a committed relationship, I am in a committed relationship. I don't hide in a hidey hole because, as the other poster says, "anything can happen. No anything CAN'T "happen" unless I choose it to happen which I am not going to do because I am a person of character and integrity. People with integrity don't cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships