Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 02:56 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times

Advertisements

If you don't consider yourself on par with average then why do you want do date an average girl yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 08:42 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Just live your life the way you are comfortable, but don't give up on meeting people.

Keep looking for experiences you enjoy, and you'll be around other like-minded people there. You don't have to be a pick-up artist, but don't go inside a shell either.
Right, and lots of things in life are uncomfortable, but people can't and shouldn't isolate themselves--you go on job interviews, you have meetings, you fly on airplanes, you go to doctor's appointments, etc.

You absolutely don't have to be a pickup artist, but you absolutely can take advantage of activities and opportunities that your school provides to socialize with people of your own age and interests.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:05 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right, and lots of things in life are uncomfortable, but people can't and shouldn't isolate themselves--you go on job interviews, you have meetings, you fly on airplanes, you go to doctor's appointments, etc.

You absolutely don't have to be a pickup artist, but you absolutely can take advantage of activities and opportunities that your school provides to socialize with people of your own age and interests.
I agree that you need to take advantage of the pre-set opportunities your school provides to be around people, OP, because once you graduate and begin working, YOU will be responsible for initiating those activities.

You will have to seek them out and then make yourself get out of the house and go. It's just a little bit easier to get to know your peers when you're already surrounded by them.

It also helps to stop thinking about these interactions as something you're forced to do. Getting to know people, and yes maybe dating, is supposed to be driven by an honest care for someone and a desire to get to know them.

Have you had meaningful friendships with people that you care about? It's not supposed to be a chore or a mission. You should be somewhat naturally propelled to find out stuff about people and let them know stuff about you.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:11 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,254 times
You definitely have an uphill battle. If you don't like being around people other people can sense that vibe and they won't want to be around you either. Women like confidence. Confident men don't stutter and stammer over words. I would stay out of clubs. Bars and clubs are good for the alpha male type with lots of social proof. You clearly are not that type. So going to a place like that to try and women will actually leave more frustrated. I speak from experience on this. I'm not that type either and it took me years to figure this out. We have to meet women in everyday places like work, gyms, stores, or online dating sites, (dating sites can often be very frustrating),. Not to hijack the thread, but the shorter you are from 5'10 the harder dating can be. Our society discriminates on height. I've meet women that won't date below a certain, and many of these women were short themselves. I've been rejected for my height a couple of times. It's total bullsh*t, but that's how it is and you can't do anything about it.
My advice is to get counseling for your anxiety. Like another poster said that can be helped. I honestly believe if you got that anxiety under control it would help you tremendously.
In closing I will say this. Dating in the US for a man is not easy. Unless you are some rich f*ck that has lots of money. Work on the anxiety and accept the things you can't change. Good luck

Old 06-23-2019, 11:39 AM

18 posts, read 6,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
If you don't consider yourself on par with average then why do you want do date an average girl yourself?
What? lol where did you get this from?

Old 06-23-2019, 11:41 AM

724 posts, read 529,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReversePolarity View Post
What? lol where did you get this from?
Your third post.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:42 AM

18 posts, read 6,038 times
@BirdieBelle

I do have some meaningful friendships but these are all males. These people tend to be a few years older than me due to the commuter school factor. This doesn’t happen with the opposite sex though

Old 06-23-2019, 12:04 PM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
It's been said dozens of times before. Stop thinking of every female as a potential date. You say there are a few in class that aren't available.. Great! Start with them and get used to just talking to women in general.
Then branch out but with the idea that "women" are just people, too

Old 06-23-2019, 12:08 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
22 is pretty young. Stop with the labels like loser. Don't beat yourself up over this. Life will kick you in the gnads as it is, don't add to that.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReversePolarity View Post
@BirdieBelle

I do have some meaningful friendships but these are all males. These people tend to be a few years older than me due to the commuter school factor. This doesn’t happen with the opposite sex though
So you've never just been on friendly, chatty terms with a girl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships