Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 07:59 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post

You’d be a lot happier if you just tended your own garden, so to speak. Do something awesome that makes you proud, so you can feel good for something positive, rather than by denigrating others.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
well it's kind of hard to avoid it, bc if you're talking to someone or dating, they're like "add me on FB!" and then you have to be like "uh, I don't have FB", then they think you're weird or a serial killer or something. and then it's like, well if they have it, I might as well check them out..you know, if you're dating or just talking, it can be helpful to see who they are.
No, it's not hard to avoid at all.

The OP ISN'T dating. He has said he doesn't have social media and is proud of that. Now he's using stuff he complains about but for some reason intentionally looks up to gossip about others and pat himself on the back for his choices.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:00 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflourme View Post
Bikegal!!! You are awesome with your posts!!!!! WIth the judge thing also. IF the person tells that person in public to grow up and stop actiing like a baby means nothing in court . It is all about documentation. WOrds on the street mean nothing. It is a "he said or she said" thing. Plus by law you cant go recording someone in public with your cellphone if they are telling you something without telling them first. That is illegal and invasion of privacy if you do that without their consent.
thank you.

yes, except no one talks in person anymore, it's all text or FB...thus, the paper trail. lol I'm sure half the people on judge mathis wouldn't have even had a case 20 years ago...lol.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:03 AM

17,716 posts, read 9,181,543 times
OP, everything you wrote in your initial post also goes on without social media. It happens in every small town, and it has been happening since long before social media existed.

I don't understand why you think couples should show the world the negative stuff just because they're showing the positive stuff. Nobody does that. And, yeah, sometimes people find out about the negative stuff and it leads to gossiping. Big deal.

And even though you don't use social media, I'm sure you and your significant other do the same things that you're complaining about.

When you go to church or your kid's Little League game, you'll tell others about your recent super fun trip to Disney World or the terrific restaurant you went to last night....but you're not going to tell people about your brother-in-law getting arrested for drunk driving last week or the fight you had with your significant other earlier in the day.

This is normal behavior. And, yes, sometimes the happy appearing couples will look like phonies when others hear about some of the negative stuff. It happens. That's life.

And, yes, you do seem jealous of the other couple. There is no other logical explanation for your rant.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
No, it's not hard to avoid at all.
it is in today's society, where most people have and use it, and think it's normal...unless you're older.

as I said, if you're dating, which these days is mostly online, it's helpful to check them out first, especially if you're a girl, for safety reasons, or to see if they're even single. there's a lot of information on there. lol

Old 07-05-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
as I said, if you're dating, which these days is mostly online, it's helpful to check them out first, especially if you're a girl, for safety reasons, or to see if they're even single. there's a lot of information on there. lol
That's NOT the OP's situation.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That's NOT the OP's situation.
no, but as I said...if you have to make an account to check someone out, or bc people keep asking you to, then it leads to looking at other peoples...a lot of people do that.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:10 AM

23 posts, read 14,415 times
You are saying that you dont want to spill beans about a brother in law getting arrested. What about if he did and you need a shoulder to cry on and that is your friend at the little league game or in church? Like I said earlier people have become so self centered. That all they care if when the next big party is or fun time thing. But beyond that if you need that friend from the little league game or church. FORGET IT!!!!! That shows how self centered people are. Any why hide the truth?? Nothing is ever secure. Truth will always eventually come out.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
no, but as I said...if you have to make an account to check someone out, or bc people keep asking you to, then it leads to looking at other peoples...a lot of people do that.
Irrelevant to THIS thread.

The OP hasn't mentioned any such peer pressure.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:14 AM

23 posts, read 14,415 times
True. People have a right to create anonymous accounts to find out what the HECK is that couple up to if they are overposting themselves like they are that star couple. I mean look at hollywood couples. Obviously on camera they mask their problems but when you read about their negatives going on in their lives. OH MY GOD!!!! They really close themselves off from the world. YOu dont see them out in public again or documentaries on tv or magazines about them, and when they get questioned BOY oH BOY do they cover it up. Seems like everyone wants to live a hollywood life

Old 07-05-2019, 08:15 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
yes, bc of the individualistic society, it's like you can't say anything to anyone, or they're like "F off, who the F are you!?" probably the reason for societal problems, and why people can't get along. but the whole FB thing, etc., where people create their own little world, of who they think they are, or wanna be, is just the epitome of that, bc they think it's really their own little world, and no one's allowed to say anything negative or question them.
LOL creating our own little worlds on Facebook. Remember Myspace tho? I learned some basic HTML so I could create this amazing world that would blast my favorite music (because I'm really sure any visitor to my page needs to hear it!) the moment one hit my profile. Videos, animated gifs, cool backgrounds. All about me, all my favorite things, all glorious illustrations of my personal taste. We all created these monuments to our own egos on Myspace back then. And yet eventually...the visits and messages and comments and notifications sorta stopped coming. Strangely enough, other people did not delight in partaking of the magic of my personality in media on a screen. How could this be??? It began to get a little depressing, even, this lack of activity.

Myspace was FAR more "narcissistic" or focused the user on grabbing for attention to themselves. The Facebook experience is far more about looking at other people's stuff. I think that's why it's enjoyed more longevity. The monuments to our egos toppled pretty easily, when all was said and done.

I dunno, I like to talk about my relationship in person to my friends and sometimes in forums like this one. I often feel all amazed at it. It is still pretty incredible to me how nearly 4 years in my guy and I still feel like we've won the lottery. But on Facebook? Nah. I use that for sharing funnies, cats, interesting stories about science or art...basically the things that spark interest for ME are what I share back out to the world. Well. I mean, I find my relationship interesting. I dunno. Probably the other thing is I'm not really much of a shutterbug. When I'm out doing cool stuff, I'm usually too busy enjoying myself to bother with taking pictures. Unless someone else takes them, I just won't have any. I know some folks who stop for selfies every few minutes, with a partner or friends or alone, doesn't matter. Whatever, good for them.

That sort of thing doesn't annoy me that much, I just scroll past, I mean it can't be the only sort of thing that is just uninteresting on one's social media feed. I have however, hidden, unfollowed, or unfriended people who persistently annoyed me, like the ones who posted trite, religious based, motivational sayings fifty times a day, or "repost this or you don't love Jesus" chain letter bullcrap. So if you don't like what someone shares on Facebook, there are tools for you to shape the content that shows up in your feed. Why not just use them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships