Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 08:48 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflourme View Post

Athena. Exactly. If you choose to use social media. At least be honest with yourself.
"At least be honest ..." says the lurker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
OP doesn’t know everyone has a perfect life on social media. Lol.

Delete your account, OP, before you go crazy.
According to him, he doesn't even HAVE an account. And his girlfriend LOVES that about him. Although he somehow certainly knows a lot about the online activities of others.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:53 AM

6,561 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Well like Athena said maybe that person can provide moral support. I will tell you and this is honest about a couple I know. They are very self centered. They got problems GALORE!!!! They have a son who has type one diabetes. He was born with it. This poor guy lost his job , his wife due to the illness. He has 2 daughters. He lost a leg 2 years ago and has a prostetic leg but his body parts are falling off slowly due to the diabetes. His parents cover up the situation BIG TIME!!! WHen they are in public with their friends they are partying it up like there is no tomorrow and keep the situation with their son LOCKED IN A TIGHT SAFE when they are among their friends. People should be honest. Maybe they will get some support if things are bad., Masking things is not always the answer. Lovey dovey relationships are NOT ALWAYs!!!! Be honest with yourself because the mmoment someone finds out the truth that couple will really loook bad and their friends who only want to see the happy times are only for the happy times. All they care about is parties and when the party is over they run fast
This post is very confusing. It sounds as if you're going off the rails a bit.

Consider that they share with and receive support from their family and a few close friends. And that you're not in that inner circle of friends. You understand that there are layers to friendships, correct?

Old 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

You understand that there are layers to friendships, correct?
And that people use social media in different ways.

Some use it to present the image of a perfect life, while others use it to ****** and moan about every little thing.

OP needs to learn that he can't control how other people live their lives.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:05 AM

23 posts, read 14,425 times
Obviously I cant control other peoples lives. But I am in a right of my opinion and so are some others on this post that it is shameful how society has become with social media that people became self centered and only want to create their own little world on social media and when the truth comes out about the not so happy times that they run away or try to mask the situation to the maximum of their ability because it will disturb them if someone finds out and they have a confrontation about it. This shows that the person lacks confidence it they are confronted about it and get defensive

Old 07-05-2019, 09:17 AM

6,561 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Obviously I cant control other peoples lives. But I am in a right of my opinion and so are some others on this post that it is shameful how society has become with social media that people became self centered and only want to create their own little world on social media and when the truth comes out about the not so happy times that they run away or try to mask the situation to the maximum of their ability because it will disturb them if someone finds out and they have a confrontation about it. This shows that the person lacks confidence it they are confronted about it and get defensive
This didn't start with the invention of social media. It's always been faux pas to air one's dirty laundry to all and sundry. And in post #13, you gave an example of a how a couple acted when out with friends.

IMO, you're nosey and enjoy getting the dirt on people so that you can stand back and judge them as evidenced by the fact that you denounce social media and the people that use it but frequently lurk on it.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:17 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
If you are not directly involved in my personal life, and you find out about some unpleasant thing that I have going on, like one of my kids has a disability and I haven't blasted it on social media or whatever, then what right do you have to "confront" me about it?

Not blabbering every detail of my life doesn't mean I'm being a sneak and hiding truths people need to know that will eventually come out. WTF? Who the hell do you think you are? It's almost like a housewife getting angry that a celebrity couple managed to keep quiet the news that they had a very sick child or a personal tragedy...like you had a right to get the dirt, dammit!

No, people have every right to share whatever they want, and withhold whatever they want, on social media. If someone's posts annoy you, then unfollow them. That's what the button is there for.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:

... it is shameful ...

Quote:

This shows that the person lacks confidence it they are confronted about it and get defensive
Oh, so you've confronted people about their online activities?

Old 07-05-2019, 09:23 AM

23 posts, read 14,425 times
WHy are acting so defensive? I am not pointing directly at you as to why you hide things that you dont want to talk about. I am saying in general how has society become with the facebook. It is shameful.People have become less sociable like some of the other people posted here. People used to interact with one another. It is embarrasing seeing people just look into their smartphones everywhere they go. In a restaurant or on the street.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:29 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,042 times
Quote:
WHy are acting so defensive? I am not pointing directly at you as to why you hide things that you dont want to talk about. I am saying in general how has society become with the facebook. It is shameful.People have become less sociable like some of the other people posted here. People used to interact with one another. It is embarrasing seeing people just look into their smartphones everywhere they go. In a restaurant or on the street.
Exactly what types of responses were you wanting to get by posting your "rant" on citydata?

Old 07-05-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:

WHy are acting so defensive?
Do you know what defensive means?

I'm actually on offense, challenging the hypocrisy of your rant. If you don't like the way people behave on social media, STOP LOOKING AT IT.

Quote:
I am saying in general how has society become with the facebook. It is shameful.People have become less sociable like some of the other people posted here. People used to interact with one another. It is embarrasing seeing people just look into their smartphones everywhere they go. In a restaurant or on the street.
Yes, people have changed, but I disagree that people have become less sociable.

Online communication enables some people to be MORE social.

Most people do use their phones compulsively, yes. But you don't seem to understand how you are the main contributor to your own annoyance by deliberately monitoring other people's online activity.

Just stop looking at it. Tend your own garden, as Debsi so wisely said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.