Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 11:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie.sunshine View Post
I know it's really gross I'm never going to look at her friend the same lol. I wonder how she'd feel if she knew my mom told me that. Funnily enough my mom has no problem talking to me about other people's lives but never lets me in on hers. Like she would never give me the details of her own sex life. Right now though since she doesn't have anyone it's not like there's much to tell but still.

Yeah but, do all guys want to have a lot of sex even after marriage? This is going to sound naive but I kind of thought that people have sex a lot before they get married, and then kinda stop and minimize it after marriage. Especially after having kids. I thought maybe once a year? I don't know. But these people have been married for like 13 years and have two kids. Isn't it normal for them to have it less. Because I know that when I'm married, I won't want to do that every single night. And I'd hate having to be forced to by my husband.
1) You should never be "forced" to have sex by anyone. That's rape.

2) Ideally you will marry someone you are really attracted to and you will WANT to have sex with him.

This is why people need to be mature enough to decide they want to marry. Because to negotiate this kind of living arrangement for the long term takes courage and honesty.

You have to be willing to talk to your husband about uncomfortable things, and you have to be a person he can trust to do the same with.

You're just not emotionally ready to be in a relationship, and that's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 11:04 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Men always want sex. Period.

Look, OP, sex drives vary. A relationship between two people with vastly-different sex drives is not going to work; one is going to feel coerced, and one is going to feel deprived. But, two people with similar sex drives can find each other, whether they want to do it three times a day or three times in the whole marriage. This is where communication comes into play.

There's nothing wrong with having a lower sex drive (naturally; there are illnesses and medications and hangups and psychological reasons why it might temporarily or conditionally be lower), but I won't lie to you: it won't make your life any easier, because most people do have a "normal" sex drive (that's why it's called 'normal') and some compromise will need to be reached if you find someone with a higher sex drive than you have. So talk carefully with all potential partners about what might be an acceptable frequency for both of you, and decide from there if you're compatible.

Sex is just one thing that drives compatibility for couples, but it's an important one. It's up there with money and whether you want kids and where you want to live and how involved the in-laws will be in your life. In some circumstances, any of those things can, unfortunately, be a dealbreaker.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:09 AM

78 posts, read 55,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Believe me darlin', you tell a boyfriend that and you won't need to worry about getting married.
No, I meant after marriage. Like, after kids and stuff. I know that during a relationship when you’re boyfriend and girlfriend you usually have sex a lot. But I just thought that married people didnt really do that often.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:10 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie.sunshine View Post
No, I meant after marriage. Like, after kids and stuff. I know that during a relationship when you’re boyfriend and girlfriend you usually have sex a lot. But I just thought that married people didnt really do that often.
Some don't. Some do.

It is important, though. If you think about it, it's the whole basis for marriage, because you could live with your best girlfriend forever in a house you both like.

But marriage is different from that kind of relationship for a reason.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
You know, it is absolutely normal to work all day, go out to dinner, attend a show or sporting event, and still go home and have sex before bed. Having relations every day does not take all your free time.

Only on special occasions seems kinda sad to me, unless, of course, both parties are not that interested in sex. Usually, both men and women like sex with the person they love.
But... my mom said that it can be a 20 minute thing before bed. How is that romantic? Doesn't it kind of take the romance away. I don't know why but this really bothers me

Old 07-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Men always want sex. Period.

Look, OP, sex drives vary. A relationship between two people with vastly-different sex drives is not going to work; one is going to feel coerced, and one is going to feel deprived. But, two people with similar sex drives can find each other, whether they want to do it three times a day or three times in the whole marriage. This is where communication comes into play.

There's nothing wrong with having a lower sex drive (naturally; there are illnesses and medications and hangups and psychological reasons why it might temporarily or conditionally be lower), but I won't lie to you: it won't make your life any easier, because most people do have a "normal" sex drive (that's why it's called 'normal') and some compromise will need to be reached if you find someone with a higher sex drive than you have. So talk carefully with all potential partners about what might be an acceptable frequency for both of you, and decide from there if you're compatible.

Sex is just one thing that drives compatibility for couples, but it's an important one. It's up there with money and whether you want kids and where you want to live and how involved the in-laws will be in your life. In some circumstances, any of those things can, unfortunately, be a dealbreaker.
That really sucks what if I really like someone but they want to do that every night. Also, I understand that some people have sex frequently but when they're married with kids? It just seems so bizarre to me and isn't something I would want to do at that stage in my life. When I'm dating? Yeah, not every day but I mean definitely more than when I'm married with kids. It also kind of bothers me how my mom used the importance of sex in a relationship as an excuse for cheating.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Believe me darlin', you tell a boyfriend that and you won't need to worry about getting married.
I understand it being frequent when it's a boyfriend. And by frequent I mean, I don't know, once a week? Anyway, but I kind of feel like with age, sex kind of subsides and eventually stops. I can't imagine friends of my moms who are 50+ still having sex with their husbands I thought that it stopped after a certain age and after a certain amount of years after marriage. Personally I just want to do that when I'm dating someone and in the beginning of my marriage and then after kids make it way less frequent. I feel like that's the normal thing to do. My mom would completely disagree with me but

Old 07-07-2019, 11:23 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
You're 18, stop having these conversations with your mother about her friends, people you know personally. Seriously, ewww.

You have plenty of time to learn about intimate relationships and discover what you want or don't want in your life. At 18 you can't possibly know what you'll think or feel or what you'll desire when you're 25 or 28 or 38 or in your 40s.

Go be a kid, meaning don't worry about any of this.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
You're 18, stop having these conversations with your mother about her friends, people you know personally. Seriously, ewww.

You have plenty of time to learn about intimate relationships and discover what you want or don't want in your life. At 18 you can't possibly know what you'll think or feel or what you'll desire when you're 25 or 28 or 38 or in your 40s.

Go be a kid, meaning don't worry about any of this.
I know, I thought it was really gross too. That's why it's been troubling me. The thing is, it seems to be a topic that comes up all the time, and by that I mean with my friends. They all talk about it all the time. And they're all way more experienced than me i've never even kissed a boy. But my friends, some of them have even gone all the way, actually most of them, and they talk about it all the time too. Sex seems to be a predominant topic in my life and I don't even want it to be lol. But then when I decide to ask my friends questions about sex since they know stuff it never works out they just confuse me and make me feel bad.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:33 AM

220 posts, read 196,159 times
The problem is that the OP still thinks sex is "gross" she hasn't matured yet or probably never been in lust with someone to know that sometimes a couple just cant get enough of each other because pleasing each other sexually is also another expression of love and intimacy. Sex reduces stress - a healthy sex life is beneficial to your overall well being too... i would love to be having sex daily after i turn 50 ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships