Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 09:47 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed that for quite some time people tend to accept others failed relationships more so than older generations did?
My parents are in their 80s, and they have been married over 60 years. Their parents never were divorced, etc etc.
Now it seems more and more just accept divorces and other failed marriages as if they were a normal thing.
You hear the phrases, move on, you will find someone else, crap happens, and many many more.
Just a little rambling, but curious as to why we accept it. Is it becuase it is easier to find someone else due to social media, apps, etc etc, or because values have deteriorated and people dont want to honestly work issues out.
Granted there are bad issues, adultery etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 09:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Have you noticed that for quite some time people tend to accept others failed relationships more so than older generations did?
My parents are in their 80s, and they have been married over 60 years. Their parents never were divorced, etc etc.
Now it seems more and more just accept divorces and other failed marriages as if they were a normal thing.
You hear the phrases, move on, you will find someone else, crap happens, and many many more.
Just a little rambling, but curious as to why we accept it. Is it becuase it is easier to find someone else due to social media, apps, etc etc, or because values have deteriorated and people dont want to honestly work issues out.
The paradox of choice.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:05 PM

421 posts, read 237,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Values have deteriorated for sure. But the adultery, I can't stand. In earlier times women didn't work so much. They had less interaction and were possibly less likely to be the adulterer. If a man was, women just found it easier to stay and, "work it out".

I can't imagine being in that position in earlier times. Would I have been feisty like now and done some tit for tat? Or would the times with better values have prevented me from doing so since to an extent we are products of our environment?

Things shouldn't be so disposable. . .but people shouldn't cheat even if they had a position in society that made it more likely to not have much consequence. Easier in modern times to end things if you are wronged as it is more socially acceptable.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:57 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times
My parents had no business marrying, and would have been much happier had they not met. I’m glad they accepted their failure, and am only sorry they didn’t realise it before I came along.

Old fashioned values are often unrealistic, and not the best by any means.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:17 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times
I for one welcome a society where people can be more honest with themselves and each other about mistakes and poor decisions they have made in love and life. If people no longer having to lie to themselves, their families and their friends to keep up appearances, or invest huge amounts of emotional labour into relationships that have no merit or benefit means ‘values have deteriorated’, so be it.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I for one welcome a society where people can be more honest with themselves and each other about mistakes and poor decisions they have made in love and life. If people no longer having to lie to themselves, their families and their friends to keep up appearances, or invest huge amounts of emotional labour into relationships that have no merit or benefit means ‘values have deteriorated’, so be it.
Very good points.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:43 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I agree with this. I think there were and still are unrealistic expectations of relationships. It leads to people getting themselves in dysfunctional/unhappy situations because "love conquers all" or "it's noble to stick with someone no matter what." In theory, it sounds good. But it's really too extreme for most people to handle. A lot of people can't handle being with one person for the rest of their lives. I think it's okay. Do I think people just throw relationships away these days? Maybe. Is it my business? No. I've posted about this before, but people tend to choose partners based on bounded rationality. Meaning they choose someone that's good enough for the moment based on their own cognitive/emotional limits and what's convenient.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:45 AM

Many people choose to stay in a relationship due to finances too. Sometimes they stick it out to be secure, vs happy ( whatever that means, being happy that is)

Old 07-21-2019, 06:55 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,601,500 times
Two things -- birth control and more women in the workplace.

You never hear of "shotgun weddings" any more and more women have the economic power to leave relationships. (More women than men have college degrees today.) When I view shows such as "Mad Men" I am reminded of how repressed some women were. So we don't know how many marital relationships lasted as long as they did for above reasons. As more people get divorced, the more acceptable it becomes.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:05 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,900 times
My parents were married 57 years and they only had one fight. But that fight lasted 56 years.
In the "old days" it wasn't as easy for women to divorce financially. Nowadays, more women have financial Independence so divorce can be a viable option. Most divorces are good things. Get it over with and start over. Why be miserable the rest of your life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships