Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 06:12 AM

98 posts, read 95,155 times

Advertisements

This question kind of goes with both romantic and non-romantic relationships. I am beginning to feel like people realistically judge me off of my physical disability with me leg. I can never keep a girl past the first date, if I am even lucky enough to take her out. I can never keep friends past the first night out, if I am lucky enough that they wanna go out with me. Women want to be with a man who is strong, powerful, and can provide many things for them, and I don’t think they see that in me with my leg disability. I also think that any person I try to befriend is uncomfortable around me because of my leg disability. Does anyone here think this is true? If so, lay it on me. Also, if you think this goes more with the non-romantic column, please feel free to move this thread there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 06:34 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
No. I think you are just using the disability as an excuse to not understand what is really turning people away.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
No. I think you are just using the disability as an excuse to not understand what is really turning people away.
So what do you think that could be? I want to hear it. That’s why I posted this question.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:48 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
There is a woman at our gym with a metal leg; she receives a ton of attention from guys. I cannot say how a man would be impacted.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:11 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
So what do you think that could be? I want to hear it. That’s why I posted this question.

I think that would be impossible to answer unless we were to know more about you. You may be better off asking someone who knows you well (like a family member).

As far as relationships, years ago when I lived elsewhere, I had a friend with a club foot and he walked with a very distinct limp, he was very social and had more friends than I did (I met other friends though him). I don't remember him dating, but none of us were at the time. I long ago lost touch with him (the days before social media). So my very limited experience is that having a physical disability isn't an automatic ticket to having no friends. Although perhaps you are insecure about it and that somehow comes out in your personality (and how you are acting/the insecurity is what is pushing people away). But again, I am guessing since I know nothing about you.

I really can't say how it would impact dating except that making friends is a lot easier than finding someone to date/be in a relationship with. Just by numbers alone since romantic relationships are usually exclusive but friendships almost never aren't (think of it, you can have more than one friend and those friends can have other friends too, but with the exception of a few unique arrangements relationships most people only have one romantic partner). So if you are struggling to find friends, finding love will be even harder. First work on finding friends, building social networks, etc.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:14 AM

236 posts, read 127,869 times
Op, the fact is you have a disability and nothing will change this. So my question to you, is where do you go from here? Will you continue to have negative disabling thoughts about what you physically CAN'T change, or will you fight on and take life by the horns as much as you possibly can?

Old 07-25-2019, 07:17 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,476 times
Quote:
I also think that any person I try to befriend is uncomfortable around me because of my leg disability. Does anyone here think this is true?
Answer to the above question: Possibly.

"Will my leg disability prevent me from having relationships with people?", the title of your post, the answer is No.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:43 AM

1,153 posts, read 567,140 times
No it won't. Have you heard of Australian comedian Adam Hills? He was born without a foot and it has not stopped him in any life area.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:16 AM

Let me try to provide further information without giving too much away, and then ask a branch question off of this. I have a titanium rod femur and artificial knee, which is very sensitive to impact. I am unable to perform tasks most guys my age can do like play sports, lift heavy objects, go through highly intense workouts, and do yard/house work. I also have to be careful about going out and walking too far. I even have other lasting health effects from treatment I’ve been on such as a weaker heart and reduced hearing. I am a young adult that has to worry about things most people don’t have to worry about until they’re senior citizens. People for whatever reason seem to be turned off by this. How can I find a romantic relationship or friendships with all of these health limits?

Old 07-25-2019, 08:17 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,476 times
Quote:
How can I find a romantic relationship or friendships with all of these health limits?

The same way the rest of us (fat, ugly, poor, stuttering, bald, deaf, short, paralyzed, boring, etc) guys did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships