Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 10:20 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,106 times

Advertisements

Gay guy here. When it comes to someone I am interested in, my thing is I always tell them when I feel the time is right. I tell them I like them and that I would like to date them, see them, more etc. If their reaction is positive then I carry on and move forward with them. If they don't want to, it's totally fine and I move on.

I do that because I don't want to waste my time, but at the same time I don't want to play games. I have noticed a lot of guys, me opening up first gives them the power boost and validation that they enjoy, when they say "let's just be friends". I have noticed that those guys then expect me to chase them since I am the one that likes them. But the thing is I don't chase. I never chase. When I get rejected I carry on and continue with my life and depriortize them. I have noticed this has an effect in the sense that since I am not chasing they are then wondering what's going on? Ironically, then they start chasing me, not so much to date me but I am pretty sure it's an ego thing, where I think they get perplexed that I said I like them, I get rejected and I am totally unphased by it, happy, and continue with my life. Problem is by that point they start chasing me I have moved on.

I bring this up because my friend told me my issue is I don't chase. He told me people like to be chased. I was like nope, not for me. I said I will pursue someone, an in my pursuit if it's discovered they are not interested, then I carry on.

Do you find it true? Do you find most people want to be pursued or want to be chased?

Old 07-23-2019, 10:30 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
See, once I find out that someone just expects me to be hung up on them, I'm gone. Don't have time for the head games and the idiotic back and forth.

Someone likes to be chased? I'd tell them to go tick off the neighbor's dog, problem solved.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:32 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
See, once I find out that someone just expects me to be hung up on them, I'm gone. Don't have time for the head games and the idiotic back and forth.

Someone likes to be chased? I'd tell them to go stand out in the middle of the wild, I'm sure something will come along.

Yup. But the funny thing is then they get so perplexed as to why you aren't chasing them, talk about ego.

I have found making yourself vulernable and telling someone your feelings but also not playing their games is so empowering, not to have power over them, but because you free those feelings for them, regardless if they reject you or accept it.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:36 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
When it comes to someone I am interested in, my thing is I always tell them when I feel the time is right.
^Here's the hiccup.

Are you sure being chased after your advances are rebuffed and you've "de-prioritized" them, isn't just a friend trying to keep in touch?

Old 07-23-2019, 03:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
If a man does it, it's called pursuing. If a woman does it, it's called chasing.

There is a double standard. Women are shamed for going after men.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 07-23-2019 at 04:19 PM..

Old 07-24-2019, 08:46 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If a man does it, it's called pursuing. If a woman does it, it's called chasing.

There is a double standard. Women are shamed for going after men.
It also kind of feels like when a woman does it, “oh, we’re definitely going to have sex”. Well, yeah...maybe after I get to know you and still like you, but not in 2 hours. There’s more of an inclination to think just because she doesn’t want to pen pal for weeks she’s dtf- when no she’s just cutting to the chase: “I like you, you’re acting like you like me, let’s just go out Friday after work.”

Maybe some guys don’t like having the pursuit taken away from them, while others would welcome it. Women get rejected in other ways, like asking a guy out for drinks, and he may reply: “your place or mine? ” ... well neither, so “no” then? You’re answer is no?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:45 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Gay guy here. When it comes to someone I am interested in, my thing is I always tell them when I feel the time is right. I tell them I like them and that I would like to date them, see them, more etc. If their reaction is positive then I carry on and move forward with them. If they don't want to, it's totally fine and I move on.

I do that because I don't want to waste my time, but at the same time I don't want to play games. I have noticed a lot of guys, me opening up first gives them the power boost and validation that they enjoy, when they say "let's just be friends". I have noticed that those guys then expect me to chase them since I am the one that likes them. But the thing is I don't chase. I never chase. When I get rejected I carry on and continue with my life and depriortize them. I have noticed this has an effect in the sense that since I am not chasing they are then wondering what's going on? Ironically, then they start chasing me, not so much to date me but I am pretty sure it's an ego thing, where I think they get perplexed that I said I like them, I get rejected and I am totally unphased by it, happy, and continue with my life. Problem is by that point they start chasing me I have moved on.

I bring this up because my friend told me my issue is I don't chase. He told me people like to be chased. I was like nope, not for me. I said I will pursue someone, an in my pursuit if it's discovered they are not interested, then I carry on.

Do you find it true? Do you find most people want to be pursued or want to be chased?
lol. If someone tells you "let's just be friends", how would you know they want to be chased? Your friend's explanation doesn't make sense. Maybe you're too sensible, mature and up front for the guys who are more into game-playing or ego-based validation neediness? Maybe those people wouldn't be compatible with you, anyway. If that's true, then you're going about it the right way; you're weeding out the people who wouldn't be a good fit. That means you'll have to be patient and wait awhile, to find a good match.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:10 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times
Not a gay guy here, but from a human perspective, you are doing the right thing. People (in your case men) who want to be chased are playing games and life is too short for that nonsense. By pursuing someone who flat out told you they weren't interested, you risk either annoying someone you really wasn't interested in the first place OR you end up with a game player (and you find yourself always guessing about that person and if you are doing the right thing). I think your moving forward with the positive reactions is the smart choice.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:14 AM

236 posts, read 128,107 times
Guys like to chase/pursue, it's just what we do. Many (not *all*, but many) are a little thrown off when the dynamic is reversed. I'm guessing in the LGBTQ community there is a heteronormative culture which is similar in many regards.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:

I am with you. THEY may like to be chased. But they can look elsewhere for that vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships