Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 02:30 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times

Advertisements

^^^ Fine.
Then get the ball rolling.
Start with securing a job with the next available production. In writing. A promise that you will be hired and for how much.
If that wouldn't be enough to cover your living expenses, find out other job opportunities. Make sure they are available, and send your resume. See if anyone is interested to hire you and get an interview.
Then find out where you can afford to live and put an application for a desirable apartment or room. Make sure it's approved and get together all the costs including moving your stuff in, deposits and such.
If you really want to move to Vancouver, YOU should start to actually DO things that will make it a reality.

Keep us posted about actual progress, not about what you think you , or you friends will do. Don't tell us who you CAN ask, but actually ASK those people and get serious answers with contact numbers and addresses.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:34 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times
I've searched online for some apartments so far in the cheaper areas, that former classmate suggested, who now lives there, but the rent seems higher in those, than what she mentioned like twice as high.

So maybe she is mentioning places I am not coming across, or I am not sure, but it's not adding up for her, compared to what she is saying so far.

And yes I am told by my parents that I really should stay out of those areas if the crime ridden. I'm not sure if they are, they seem like normal communities where people want to live, without being in the expensive areas, but not sure about the crime.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:45 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,829,467 times
OP, are you Canadian, or are you planning to immigrate from the US? It took my daughter nearly three years and a lot of paperwork to obtain legal status allowing her to live and work in Canada as a permanent resident.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:47 PM

I'm Canadian.

I will do more apartment research and can ask in the Vancouver forum here as well. I will ask the guy I know what jobs are available there now, and if he can get me lined up to be one of the possible people they consider to hire.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:56 PM

Do you KNOW, OP that Vancouver, while the third most liveable city in the world is also the third most expensive in which to actually live.
I repeat: Vancouver is a third most expensive city to live. In the world.
It has the most expensive housing market in Canada.

Here you can read about the costs of living there:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/mini...vancouver-2018

Here is a list of jobs in film industry:
https://www.glassdoor.ca/Job/vancouv...56_KO10,25.htm
Do you see any positions you could apply for?

Very good website with lots of tips how to get jobs there. Make sure you read it and click on all links. This could be very helpful to you:
https://www.creativebc.com/community...ticles/633.php

However, from what I see the pay is low and you need to be available at all crazy hours. So secondary job would be impossible to maintain.
Not sure if you could cover your living expenses even in a cheapest room and eating cheapest junk food.
Remember you will also have to pay for utilities, phone, internet, car insurance and gas etc.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:58 PM

Okay thanks. Yeah I just don't understand how other people live there. My ex-gfs brother lives there, who we visited back when I was with her, and he had a 9-5-ish type job selling glasses and sunglasses. How do run a store like that and live there. I don't understand how people there do it.

When it comes to jobs my most experienced positions would be boom mic operating and editing. I was told they are always looking for those in Vancouver and I should try to get a job like that.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:00 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I've searched online for some apartments so far in the cheaper areas, that former classmate suggested, who now lives there, but the rent seems higher in those, than what she mentioned like twice as high.

So maybe she is mentioning places I am not coming across, or I am not sure, but it's not adding up for her, compared to what she is saying so far.

And yes I am told by my parents that I really should stay out of those areas if the crime ridden. I'm not sure if they are, they seem like normal communities where people want to live, without being in the expensive areas, but not sure about the crime.
It’s more likely your friend is not as knowledgeable as she pretends to be and is either guessing or telling you about prices from long ago not realizing the extent to which real estate has risen in value. Which is why we are saying to do the research first and not to count on promises made my friends who may or may not really know what they’re talking about.

You can lol up crime statistics for a given area online. You can find online maps of the entire city with the high crime areas highlighted. You can simply go to the Vancouver forum and ask about the area. Again basic things an independent person should be able to think of and do.

Don’t forget to look up the parking info. In many big metro areas it costs hundreds of dollars a month to park. In NYC even the expensive parking places have years long waiting lists.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:02 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. Yeah I just don't understand how other people live there. My ex-gfs brother lives there, who we visited back when I was with her, and he had a 9-5-ish type job selling glasses and sunglasses. How do run a store like that and live there. I don't understand how people there do it.

When it comes to jobs my most experienced positions would be boom mic operating and editing. I was told they are always looking for those in Vancouver and I should try to get a job like that.
He probably bought his property 15 or 20 years ago before values shot up.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:

He doesn't have your health problems, does he?
He might have better education and know how to run a store (bookkeeping, purchases, orders, taxes, customer service, maintenance etc.). He also most likely has common sense and is at least street wise. You are not.

Does he OWN the store or just rent, or manage it for someone else?

Old 07-28-2019, 03:04 PM

No he's renting though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.