Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 09:53 PM

1,593 posts, read 776,593 times

Advertisements

I recall going to see a movie in which I happened to sit next to a girl who was around my age (college-aged at the time). The theater was pretty full and there weren't a lot of open seats, so she had to sit directly to my right (no buffer chair). She spent the entire movie leaned as far away from me as she could get and still look relatively normal. Made me feel even worse about myself. My therapist at the time told me to imagine reasons why she might be doing that, reasons that had nothing to do with my unattractiveness. I came up with several...temperature in the theater (and so curled up away from me for warmth) is the one I can think of off the top of my head. My therapist seemed satisfied by my effort at her exercise, but I never really believed any of the reasons I came up with for the exercise...the girl had sat next to me because the seat had been the only one open when she'd gotten there (that says something in and of itself) and she recoiled as far away from touching me as she could get because she didn't want to give a guy like me any wrong ideas by getting too close to me.

So, it can happen. Women know that socially awkward, perpetually single men tend to interpret friendliness as interest.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:58 PM

11 posts, read 4,160 times
What the girl did is rude. You don't reject guys in your social circle the way you reject some drunk, wanna-be player. That's something that I don't understand. Maybe, the woman is shy around new people. I don't know.

The thread title can also be titled I was unable to watch the movie because my VCR did not work. Relying primarily on meeting woman through your friends is so 1980s. It's something that people did before the Internet became popular.

JBT1980, I don't why you're not playing the numbers game. Nearly all the average-looking guys that are having fun dating different women talk to large numbers of women. They learned that you have to go through a bunch of no's to get a single yes. Women have more options in dating than men. That woman that rejected you might have shot you down for reasons that you have no control over. She might be emotionally unavailable, dealing with a breakup, focused on her work, or maybe she only dates guys of a certain ethnicity. Last weekend at a nightclub, I saw this cute woman follow this short, small, scrawny guy. This guy is always smiling. He plays the numbers game spammer style.On the other hand, this tall guy that is struggling with women made the same mistake again in his social circle of only hitting on the hottest woman in this room.

I'm surprised that some of the people that responded to the OP's older threads didn't notice that he wasn't talking to that many people. I wonder if they thought that he should focus on varying his open-ended questions or something.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:35 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBreesGo View Post
Women have more options in dating than men. .
I agree with that.

As far as the numbers game I’m kinda sensitive to rejection so it’s kinda hard for me to keep getting rejected and brush it off.

Woman on here say there turned off by men who do the numbers game because then she doesn’t feel special.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:55 AM

1,153 posts, read 567,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
It was just rude. Do people only talk to people they’re attracted to? What about if we had chemistry and hit it off?

It’s just annoying how I purposely am passive because of how much rejection hurts me and my self esteem yet I get thrusted into these situations which remind me how unattractive iam.

This is why I don’t even try with woman.
I'm not sure you should be taking this so personally. There are lots of possible reasons here for her not talking to you. She could be rude, or shy, or just not wanting to make conversation for whatever reason. It doesn't have to be about you or about all women in general, this was about her.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:07 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
My friends married so no.

Did your friend's wife come to the game? You didn't mention her. Maybe your purpose was to chaperone, but you didn't get the memo. LOL

Old 07-31-2019, 10:55 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
I recall going to see a movie in which I happened to sit next to a girl who was around my age (college-aged at the time). The theater was pretty full and there weren't a lot of open seats, so she had to sit directly to my right (no buffer chair). She spent the entire movie leaned as far away from me as she could get and still look relatively normal. Made me feel even worse about myself. My therapist at the time told me to imagine reasons why she might be doing that, reasons that had nothing to do with my unattractiveness. I came up with several...temperature in the theater (and so curled up away from me for warmth) is the one I can think of off the top of my head. My therapist seemed satisfied by my effort at her exercise, but I never really believed any of the reasons I came up with for the exercise...the girl had sat next to me because the seat had been the only one open when she'd gotten there (that says something in and of itself) and she recoiled as far away from touching me as she could get because she didn't want to give a guy like me any wrong ideas by getting too close to me.

So, it can happen. Women know that socially awkward, perpetually single men tend to interpret friendliness as interest.
I once had a woman I went out on a DATE with sit a seat away from me.

What's funny is at the time I still thought I had a chance after the date. I thought there might be some 'weird' reason to justify her behavior, just as posters are coming up with weird justifications for ignoring a friend of a friend.

That was a looooong time ago. Today, I can laugh at that, but when I look back on it, man, that's just pretty rude to do to a person.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:49 PM

1,246 posts, read 825,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Who was sitting on your other side?
Haven't seen an answer to this, unless I missed it.

OP: did you have any other friends at the game, besides the birthday boy?

Old 07-31-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Haven't seen an answer to this, unless I missed it.

OP: did you have any other friends at the game, besides the birthday boy?
Yeah my friend I came with was on the other side of me.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:11 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,601,500 times
I would surmise that for whatever reason she didn't want to encourage you. Maybe she is interested in someone else, maybe she is gay, who knows.

I have had occasion when my behavior could have been interpreted as "rude" but it was in the hope of discouraging the person from asking me out and having to turn them down.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I would surmise that for whatever reason she didn't want to encourage you. Maybe she is interested in someone else, maybe she is gay, who knows.

I have had occasion when my behavior could have been interpreted as "rude" but it was in the hope of discouraging the person from asking me out and having to turn them down.
Of course that was the reason. Like I said she saw me and was not attracted to me most likely.

But I simply was striking up a convo to be friendly and see what happens. It didn’t have to lead to anything. I was sitting next to her for three hours I figured it would be weird or awkward to say nothing regardless of who it is since were at the same party.

If she ignores talking to any man she’s not attracted to in fear she gives off the wrong impression thats pretty weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships