Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 12:44 PM

651 posts, read 407,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Disclaimer: This is my belief.

I don't believe one's personal improvement should rely on the shoulders of another person. It's not someone else's job to improve your life. The most they should do is add to it. Too many people lose sight of that ideal due to being desperate for a partner. Am I saying you can't do all those things at the same time? No. But taking care of yourself should be for you, not for someone else. Whether you have a partner or you're single you always go back to that baseline of happiness.
And it isn't. But you have to look at it from a personal perspective. If YOU have the relationship that is worth your while, then it is YOU who has improved your life in that regard.

Furthermore, getting ahead with career and getting better jobs is not a one-way street either. Much like relationships, it involves finding the right fit for both parties. But when you do find that lofty, dream job, wouldnt it make you happy?? Oh no, but you shouldnt rely on things like that to make you happy, right?

I just wish people stopped promoting this self-complacency nonsense. This messes up everyone, especially men and women who are easily influenced. Everything good in life requires WORK, and relationships are no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 12:54 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
And it isn't. But you have to look at it from a personal perspective. If YOU have the relationship that is worth your while, then it is YOU who has improved your life in that regard.

Furthermore, getting ahead with career and getting better jobs is not a one-way street either. Much like relationships, it involves finding the right fit for both parties. But when you do find that lofty, dream job, wouldnt it make you happy?? Oh no, but you shouldnt rely on things like that to make you happy, right?

I just wish people stopped promoting this self-complacency nonsense. This messes up everyone, especially men and women who are easily influenced. Everything good in life requires WORK, and relationships are no different.
I disagree.

A relationship and a career are not the same things.

But we can agree to disagree. I don't think there is anything wrong with being self sufficient and having inner peace without a partner. We shouldn't promote codependency either. I think that screws people up as well. I think balance, common sense, and living a life that's best for you is what should be promoted. If you want a partner, fine. I'm good without out one. And that's okay.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:09 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
I suppose the advice for OP would be, if you want to meet an attractive man into your 30s and beyond, it does help if you're not grossly overweight, don't smoke, don't drink loads of alcohol or do drugs, eat real food, and remember to wear sunscreen.
Exactly. Its not rocket science. I probably drink more than I should, but have the rest under control. I mainly drink because I'm so isolated. If I was married with a family, I'd drink a lot less, but I digress. Coping with being single when the plan for your life is to have a family is the biggest disappointment there is. That said, the OP has plenty of time. Wish I could go back 20 years and have a do over.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:13 PM

1,153 posts, read 566,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'm like a fish out of water living where I do.
Atlguy39 have you considered moving?

Old 08-05-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Atlguy39 have you considered moving?
LOL, all the time! I talk about it a lot here, but I'm stuck where I am. Long distance job searching isn't easy. Been doing that for over 3 years now.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:34 PM

1,153 posts, read 566,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
LOL, all the time! I talk about it a lot here, but I'm stuck where I am. Long distance job searching isn't easy. Been doing that for over 3 years now.
That's a shame. You sound like you belong somewhere other than where you are. Good luck with finding a new job!

Old 08-05-2019, 02:48 PM

236 posts, read 127,789 times
Quote:
I disagree.

But we can agree to disagree. I don't think there is anything wrong with being self sufficient and having inner peace without a partner. We shouldn't promote codependency either. I think that screws people up as well. I think balance, common sense, and living a life that's best for you is what should be promoted. If you want a partner, fine. I'm good without out one. And that's okay.
Yes, all this is good if you DONT want to be with anybody. But, most do. Or CD-R would have zero posts and threads. You yourself have thousands of them.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:56 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PardonTheInterruption View Post
Yes, all this is good if you DONT want to be with anybody. But, most do. Or CD-R would have zero posts and threads. You yourself have thousands of them.
You do realize the number you're referring to is an accumulation of posts in other forums as well correct?

My post is my opinion, you don't have to agree with it. That's why the disclaimer was there, for the people in the back.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
That's a shame. You sound like you belong somewhere other than where you are. Good luck with finding a new job!
Thank you, Carly. Hope it happens in this lifetime!

Old 08-05-2019, 03:08 PM

236 posts, read 127,789 times
Quote:
I disagree.

Quote:
You do realize the number you're referring to is an accumulation of posts in other forums as well correct?

My post is my opinion, you don't have to agree with it. That's why the disclaimer was there, for the people in the back.
Sure, and i also realize that 90% of the posts from you, in particular, are about relationships. Yet you keep repping this "I'm good all by myself" stuff. You really don't see the irony in this fact...really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships