Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 06:26 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
No! Hell, no! NO therapy!

Therapists don't actually help. They don't even give advice. They just ask stupid questions, like "How does that make you feel?", and parrot back whatever the client says. They call it "empathy" , but I call it "idiocy". It's a waste of a client's time and money. People who come to therapy aren't looking for "empathy"; they're looking for solutions. Which therapists don't give. So why bother with those charlatans? The OP is better off taking a trip to a "ranch" in Nevada. It won't even be much more costly. And the relief is so much better.

It's one thing to knock some sense into the guy. It's another to tell him to waste his time and money.
This is interesting. Here is the thing that many don't understand, and it is consistent with the complaints of many on this board. There IS NO SOLUTION the way it is desired to do x and get y. Empathy, as you call it, is part of validation. It is about establishing trust in one's own feelings. And it is important. But it is only part of it. It is the early part. From there, assumptions are challenged. Ways of thinking are examined. But "solutions" are no good when the "problem" is not clearly understood by the patient.

Many patients don't get there because they are seeking solutions to the wrong problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Of course it didn't help me. I said many times that therapist are charlatans. They don't actually HELP. If they helped like a normal person would, clients wouldn't keep coming back for months, if not years, and paying them.

All they do is... talk about feelings, and pass it off as a panacea. They're no different than aura readers and chakra analyzers. They just got the green light from the state to bill insurance for it. My philosophy is: if you want to feel better in a reasonable time frame, go to an actual doctor (this includes psychiatrists), not a talking quack.

I wasn't offended by your comment, just found it mildly annoying. But I'm aware that most people worship therapists, rather than thinking critically about them.
Feeling better immediately is not always, in fact should not, be the goal. Not with any treatment. Pretty sure cancer survivors don't "feel better" with their treatment.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 AM

1,153 posts, read 567,307 times
Quote:
Of course it didn't help me. I said many times that therapist are charlatans. They don't actually HELP. If they helped like a normal person would, clients wouldn't keep coming back for months, if not years, and paying them.

All they do is... talk about feelings, and pass it off as a panacea. They're no different than aura readers and chakra analyzers. They just got the green light from the state to bill insurance for it. My philosophy is: if you want to feel better in a reasonable time frame, go to an actual doctor (this includes psychiatrists), not a talking quack.

I wasn't offended by your comment, just found it mildly annoying. But I'm aware that most people worship therapists, rather than thinking critically about them.
I was in therapy for a few years and I found it life altering. I had a lot of time to think critically about whether it was helping me or not and I took breaks from therapy at times during that period to do that.

Not trying to get into a debate with you about the merits of it as it seems like you're very entrenched in your opinion about it.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:35 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Just noticed that The Undesirable stopped being desirable on our board.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:40 AM

1,153 posts, read 567,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Just noticed that The Undesirable stopped being desirable on our board.
I think he was banned?

Old 08-07-2019, 10:03 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
I was in therapy for a few years and I found it life altering. I had a lot of time to think critically about whether it was helping me or not and I took breaks from therapy at times during that period to do that.

Not trying to get into a debate with you about the merits of it as it seems like you're very entrenched in your opinion about it.
Many of the most vocal critics of therapy here usually sound like they were expecting a quick fix and a cure for their problems, and when that didn't happen they blame the entire profession. But, what works for one person might not work for another, and everyone's entitle to their opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 08-07-2019, 10:21 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Ridiculous idea!

What a joke lol ��

Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
No! Hell, no! NO therapy!

Therapists don't actually help. They don't even give advice. They just ask stupid questions, like "How does that make you feel?", and parrot back whatever the client says. They call it "empathy" , but I call it "idiocy". It's a waste of a client's time and money. People who come to therapy aren't looking for "empathy"; they're looking for solutions. Which therapists don't give. So why bother with those charlatans? The OP is better off taking a trip to a "ranch" in Nevada. It won't even be much more costly. And the relief is so much better.

It's one thing to knock some sense into the guy. It's another to tell him to waste his time and money.
But that's the thing...therapists are not supposed to give advice! It's a way for you to help yourself........& work on the inside.....cause he is sad & probably hurting very much to take the time to write stuff like his post. Therapy is not for everyone.....but it would help more IMO than coming to a forum asking how to pay someone for "love"!!! If he can pay someone 10k to love him...he can afford a therapist....or any activity that will have him thinking about meeting someone for a real relationship & building his life......not paying for emotion & love............

Old 08-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
But that's the thing...therapists are not supposed to give advice! It's a way for you to help yourself........& work on the inside.....cause he is sad & probably hurting very much to take the time to write stuff like his post. Therapy is not for everyone.....but it would help more IMO than coming to a forum asking how to pay someone for "love"!!! If he can pay someone 10k to love him...he can afford a therapist....or any activity that will have him thinking about meeting someone for a real relationship & building his life......not paying for emotion & love............
The other thing, what we THINK is the problem we have is not the problem we have. As with a person who thinks their primary problem is being unable to get a mate.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:13 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Many of the most vocal critics of therapy here usually sound like they were expecting a quick fix and a cure for their problems, and when that didn't happen they blame the entire profession. But, what works for one person might not work for another, and everyone's entitle to their opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This or they don't want to hear what the therapist tells them or take any suggestions. They want to continue to do the same things that they have been doing but they want the results to be different. It doesn't work that way. Therapy is useless unless you are open to changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships