Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 12:49 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
Or you get away from the people who know about the accusation. The smaller-scale the accusation, the easier that is. I've recently moved for a new job in a new location, hundreds of miles from my last job. And, there is a very marked difference in how people see and treat me in my new position.
Yes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 12:53 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Or you get away from the people who know about the accusation. The smaller-scale the accusation, the easier that is. I've recently moved for a new job in a new location, hundreds of miles from my last job. And, there is a very marked difference in how people see and treat me in my new position.
Don’t drag that unfounded accusation around with you, if someone accused you of being a leprechaun would you worry that it’s going to continue to happen? It wasn’t true! There’s nothing you’re doing to encourage that sort of thing, now leave it behind.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:58 PM

1,593 posts, read 776,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
In other words, because we rely on our niceness, women rather play patty cake with us.

Ouch.

Quote:
Women tend to go for a "strong" personality. Someone who is bold and deliberate. Someone who takes charge (not in an overly dominant way). Someone who at least has an idea of what he wants and goes for it.

It also helps to be 'solid' in your body language when talking to a woman. I say boldness is something that tends to be successful more than niceness.

Re: "Personality types"...that mostly doesn't fit me. I'm not a strong personality. I am not bold or deliberate. I can take charge, and I have in certain situations, and I have leadership skills and abilities, but I tend to defer to stronger personalities. I am a second-guesser, a self-doubter, indecisive, hesitant. I over-think and over-analyze, constantly. My natural inclination is to put more stock into what other people think, feel, and say than I do in my own opinions and beliefs...if I'm challenged or criticized on something, I immediately revert to a state of self-examination to see if what was presented is more accurate or valid than what I believe.

At the very least, though, when all of that pensiveness and pausality is worked through, and I have determined what my goals should be and what the best courses of action to achieve them are, I can be very decisive, confident, and determined, almost to the point of arrogance; it just takes me a while to get there.

Re: Body language and boldness, that seems to be something that is dictated by confidence, of which I have very little when it comes to women. When I've done my asking, I've tried to muster as much confidence as I could, but it's still very likely that this was seen for what it was, a facade masking my nervousness and lack of confidence. Probably played a factor in my rejections.

That said, in my new job, I have actually seen the benefit of coming in projecting false confidence. I did that...I projected an air of authority, competence, and attempted likeability, and people responded to it very well. As a result of how they were treating me in reaction, I have begun to develop real, actual self-confidence in myself and my professional abilities. For instance, not long ago I screwed up on the job for the first time. My boss made a snide remark about it. But even in the short time I've been here I feel like I've already grown in my confidence in myself. Where that snide remark would have in the past sent me into a spiral of negativity and self-doubt, here I chuckled (because it was funny) and set myself to solving the problem that I'd caused. That feels like real growth to me.

Could I develop that with women, if they were to respond favorably to my facade of self-confidence with them? Maybe. But with women my balloon tends to get pricked and everything I was trying to fortify myself for comes crashing down with another rejection. If, on my first day on the job, I had been questioned, challenged, disregarded, or disrespected, I suspect my initial facade of self-confidence would have come crashing down then as well. People would have seen my naked insecurities and vulnerabilities, I would have felt exposed in my new job...and I very well might have spiraled out of control when my boss criticized me that day, because I hadn't been allowed to grow a buttress of real self-confidence against the veneer of projected self-confidence.

What I'm saying is...maybe if I were to ask a woman out, and she dealt me a pair of pocket rocket aces and agreed instead of turning the card table over and walking off...I might come to believe it's a game I can learn to play after all. But if she doesn't, and the cards go flying, and I'm wondering what was the wrong move I made once again, I'll feel even worse about my ability to play the game.

Quote:
I believe the best chance at success comes from knowing who you are and owning it. It also helps to stand out and allow what is unique (as long as it is not harmful) to show.
All depends on what boxes I check for her. If I know and own who I am, and I stand out and am unique, but who I am and what's unique about me aren't very attractive and don't check many boxes, then...it won't work. "Just be yourself!" being pernicious dating advice if yourself isn't very dateable.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Idk about anyone else but I found out that when you stop caring about dating someone, that's usually when you find someone.
To stop caring about whether you're in a relationship or not and to be happy being single makes you more content and secure in your own life. I can see how that would be alluring in its own right, and maybe that's enough to attract a partner.

But maybe not, too. There are no magic bullets. I'm happy that it worked out for you, though.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Don’t drag that unfounded accusation around with you, if someone accused you of being a leprechaun would you worry that it’s going to continue to happen? It wasn’t true! There’s nothing you’re doing to encourage that sort of thing, now leave it behind.
No, but it does make me cautious and protective of myself in certain types of situations.

Like if a drunk girl was trying to feel me up.

(Kidding.)
(Mostly.)

Old 08-11-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
No, but it does make me cautious and protective of myself in certain types of situations.

Like if a drunk girl was trying to feel me up.

(Kidding.)
(Mostly.)
Ha! If you acted uninterested, even a drunk girl might stagger away, and leave you alone -don’t worry about that.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Ha! If you acted uninterested, even a drunk girl might stagger away, and leave you alone -don’t worry about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2n77-SvkBo

Old 08-11-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Very similar to the expression one of my uber passengers had last night. (But I never drink and drive. )

Old 08-11-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Very similar to the expression one of my uber passengers had last night. (But I never drink and drive. )

Sounds like you don't have to.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you don't have to.
It’s a zoo out there at night AAL, I need a dash cam. I’m lucky to be privy to some end of the night discussions though, so it’s perfect for me.

Sorry, back on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships