Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 1,682 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is common or not but even though I want no commitment with a woman, I've been having this urge to have a child.

I'm 34 and I had never felt like this until now. Isn't it a bit strange since a child is a much bigger commitment than a relationship?

Of course I do not plan to act on these feelings or have a child by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 11:47 AM

1,210 posts, read 887,591 times
Women do it all the time. Men probably do too.

What about Big Brothers?

Old 08-11-2019, 11:48 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Try fostering a child. You'd be 'doing good' while you 'test drive' what parenting is like. Your fantasy of what being a father is may not line up with the reality of parenthood, and fostering isn't permanent like adoption.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKing233 View Post

I've been having this urge to have a child.
Why?

What specifically are you feeling/imagining?

Old 08-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Why?

What specifically are you feeling/imagining?
Teaching him/her loads of stuff, proving guidance in all the aspects where my father failed, thinking about what name would I choose, ec.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:00 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKing233 View Post
Teaching him/her loads of stuff, proving guidance in all the aspects where my father failed, thinking about what name would I choose, ec.
Sounds like you're particularly interested in raising a child but not necessarily parenting as a whole.

The bottom line is that you do have a biological clock too. It's pretty normal, and it varies per person. You could try the options some have presented here, although it's not the same as parenting your own child.

Men do get a version of baby fever, and it is contagious. Is anyone in your daily life (coworkers, family) having kids?

Old 08-11-2019, 12:02 PM

1,210 posts, read 887,591 times
How do women do it, like Madonna or these rich movie stars? They pay big bucks for sperm from MIT or Stanford (it's basically eugenics).
A guy like the original poster could find eggs from super models (also very expensive). There's got to be a clinical service for this....

The other thing is, there are utilitarian benefits of two parents. What's the kids supposed to do while you're at work if there's no mom? Day Care? Your parents?

Old 08-11-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post

The other thing is, there are utilitarian benefits of two parents. What's the kids supposed to do while you're at work if there's no mom? Day Care? Your parents?
I would never deprive a child of having a mother. I'm perfectly aware none of this is feasible.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:15 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think a lot of men have a vague "DNA" urge, like it makes them immortal. I have heard this from lots of men, and once they've sired one kid, they seem to lose the urge. They also don't seem to like a lot of what goes into being a parent, especially of babies and young children.

I think OP wants to fix his troubled childhood by raising a child, doing whatever his father didn't. While that is certainly a positive thing, I think there's an element of re-fathering oneself, and that doesn't take into account the unique personality of the child he wants to raise. It's not all teaching them how to play guitar or throw a football (and what if the child is a girl, would that still suit the re-fathering?)

I think OP could do well with some talk therapy and then decide about being a father. Thirty-four is hardly end of the line for a healthy man. Best wishes to OP in doing a wise thing.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:15 PM

663 posts, read 433,098 times
How about becoming a scout leader? regular meetings with kids, teaching them things, helping them deal with problems
Big Brothers is also a good outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships