Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 04:31 PM

236 posts, read 127,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Just wondering what she was so put off about.
That he had the audacity to think the date would be reciprocal. That's the context I got from it. IF that was the case, he dodged a bullet. Next
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 05:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Did he order a big bill and leave her holding the bag?

Were the drinks cheaper than the movie?

Just wondering what she was so put off about.
I think she was put off because it was the first date. I'm guessing the drinks cost about the same as the movie tickets. But I don't know for sure. She had been on another first date, where the man made her dinner at his place. He only gave her a salad. He had a collection of wine bottles but didn't offer to uncork any of them. She was put off by that, too.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:44 PM

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Well, this woman is someone i knew. And she was put off by the man's behavior because it was a first date. If it were a second or third date she might have been more open to paying.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-26-2019 at 11:29 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 07:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
I've been out of the dating game for years but if I knew it was the first and last date I wouldn't care at all how it is split or not split. I'd just offer to pick up the tab. The cost of a dinner is a small price to pay for moving on and avoiding a dead end.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I've been out of the dating game for years but if I knew it was the first and last date I wouldn't care at all how it is split or not split. I'd just offer to pick up the tab. The cost of a dinner is a small price to pay for moving on and avoiding a dead end.
Yeah.

Anyway, I'd rather sit at home and eat a bowl of cereal, than dine in a nice restaurant with a man who's company I didn't enjoy.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:40 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
A friend of mine went on a first date with a man, he paid for the movie, then invited her for a drink afterward and said "I got the movie, you get the drinks". She was put off and never went out w/him again.
I would be put off as well and feel the same way as your friend. While I feel that healthy relationships are reciprocal, I do not want someone dictating to me how and when I am going to reciprocate. No thanks. I'm an adult and can decide for myself how I will reciprocate in my relationships, I am not into dictators.

I'd be curious to know if he asked your friend for a second date. I'm guessing that he didn't because I can't imagine a man doing that if he was interested her, especially on a first date.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I would be put off as well and feel the same way as your friend. While I feel that healthy relationships are reciprocal, I do not want someone dictating to me how and when I am going to reciprocate. No thanks. I'm an adult and can decide for myself how I will reciprocate in my relationships, I am not into dictators.

I'd be curious to know if he asked your friend for a second date. I'm guessing that he didn't because I can't imagine a man doing that if he was interested her, especially on a first date.
I don't know if he asked her for a second date, but I know she had zero interest in seeing him again.

Since he was the one who wanted drinks, and it was a first date, he should have just paid. He was the one who wanted to go for drinks. It wasn't her idea.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:53 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I pay for the first date but I don't make a big deal about it. I usually pick a place I enjoy and I will have a good meal no matter how the date itself goes. I don't have to worry about the cost of meals on first dates.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I have no problem paying for a first, second, third date, etc. Regardless of the outcome, I will always pay. Yes, it's partly due to how I was raised, but I find it silly to split the check if I was the one asking the person out to dinner. And I will also pick one of my favorite spots or somewhere I know the food will be good, regardless of the outcome.

She isn't interested? Oh well, at least the shrimp scampi was good!

Old 08-28-2019, 12:14 PM

236 posts, read 127,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Yeah... I agree...NO THANKS. To a lady who's too above it all to get drinks when she didn't get tickets. Again, he didn't miss out on anything by her being "put off" about it. He dodged a bullet. He really should have cut the date short after realizing how egotistically self-centered she was. If expecting someone to be reciprocal is being a "dictator"...then yeah... so freakin be it.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PardonTheInterruption View Post
Yeah... I agree...NO THANKS. To a lady who's too above it all to get drinks when she didn't get tickets. Again, he didn't miss out on anything by her being "put off" about it. He dodged a bullet. He really should have cut the date short after realizing how egotistically self-centered she was. If expecting someone to be reciprocal is being a "dictator"...then yeah... so freakin be it.
Oh, I think she would have reciprocated on subsequent dates, some people just believe that first date, guy pays if he asks. And she may not have even wanted drinks, she only agreed to a movie. He was the one that chose to extend the costs of the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships