Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 01:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree, I have a problem with that too normally.

Gratuitously, randomly telling a woman you don't know to smile is obnoxious.

But when a woman is asking why, after many many attempts to go out and meet people in bars, no one ever approaches her or acts interested, it's probably very good advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Diss is the one guy here, who gets it. There's a history in the US of who was privileged to tell whom to smile, that I'm sure Diss is well aware of, that informs his position on this. Bless you, Diss!
There is no dispute that smiling typically gives more of an inviting appearance to guys wanting to approach. But if it isn’t your move, it’s not your move and no one should be trying to regulate your emotions. I personally a guy worth his salt would still approach her even if she had a RBF if he was interested.

I like to think the challenge for dude would be to make her smile under her own guidance not tell her to smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 01:08 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
But she is...well, she's a lot to handle for several reasons, that are way beyond the scope of this conversation. Getting male attention is easier than easy for her, but keeping a healthy relationship has not worked out. She's tried to commit herself to at least a year of not being in any sort of relationship but she's still trying to date around and have a good time. Problem is, guys are really pushing her for more.
I'm going to guess she easily makes too many guy friends, too many options to want to settle down, loves to play the field, sounds too high maintenance IMO.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:17 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theprincessediaries View Post
I’m not the most attractive girl ever. In fact, I’m pretty average. I’m not white. I take very good care of my body. I’m very thin and fit. However, I have friends who are white, tall, blonde. Whenever we go out, they stand out more, even if they are not thin or fit. (I’m making mention of the body because it is the only thing I can change about myself. I really do take great care of my body, but I guess that’s not important to men.) I live in New York City and I definitely don’t stand out. Whenever I am out with my girlfriends, they have men approach them first. So I just end up sitting at the bar alone, or excuse myself and go home early.

I am in my mid-20s and have never had a boyfriend. I kind of give up dating. I don’t even allow myself to fall for a man because chances are, he won’t like me back. I’ve never been in a relationship. Sure, I’ve had flings, but no man has ever liked me enough to make me his girlfriend.

I tried dating apps, but you know what? Maybe something is wrong with the way I look. I have olive skin and black hair. There are actually gorgeous models on dating apps, so I’m not a top choice for anyone.

I’m not sure what to do. I just don’t even want to be with anyone anymore because I’m so used to not having anyone. But I’ve never had a boyfriend. Don’t even know what it feels like to know a man longer than a one-night stand. (Men will sleep with anything.)
I think the issue lies with you. I see a toxic side here. I'll point you to a good hard working guy any day of the week. Question is, how constructive are you going to be?

You seem to live in a very small world.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:28 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Your bad attitude has a lot to do with your situation.
^^^ This

There are plenty of women who are less attractive so what do they have that you don't, OP?

Old 08-31-2019, 01:38 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times
You're not one of these entitled chicks who struts up to the bar with an attitude, gives the guy a quick perfunctory glance, then frowns and pulls out her phone as she awaits his expected offer of a drink, are you? All without saying a word and doing nothing more than flipping your hair?

Yeah, men grew tired of that a couple years ago.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:46 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
How was the early family life of the OP, especially her relationship with her father?

Old 08-31-2019, 01:47 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
So you can attract men and have had a boyfriend/sugar daddy.

Just not guys you want to be with.

We’ll, join the millions of women around the world dating.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:15 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
So you can attract men and have had a boyfriend/sugar daddy.

Just not guys you want to be with.

We’ll, join the millions of women around the world dating.
Ha, yep. That’s why it’s called dating, and not date.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:37 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree, I have a problem with that too normally.

Gratuitously, randomly telling a woman you don't know to smile is obnoxious.

But when a woman is asking why, after many many attempts to go out and meet people in bars, no one ever approaches her or acts interested, it's probably very good advice.
Well not only that, if you know the woman even a little bit, and she actually has a nice smile that lights up her face, suggesting that she smiles while waiting for guys to approach her is sensible advice.
Randomly telling a woman to smile without any context is definitely obnoxious.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:01 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
How was the early family life of the OP, especially her relationship with her father?
Isn't that getting a bit personal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships