Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 12:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times

Advertisements

How boring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 12:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's pretty inevitable to not have a lot of debt in that case and after being in school so many years you may not want to even further delay marriage and kids until out of debt - I'm sure many manage to make it work. .
I don't see how they make it work if they jointly owe close to half a million dollars. Of course, they may enjoy each other's companionship but from a financial standpoint, they are going to be stressed out for years.

Like these 2 doctors who married each other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3qjug9N5BQ&t=131s

Old 09-05-2019, 12:54 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’ve worked in healthcare for 20 some years, and I’ve never found that to be a typical scenario. I don’t have any real issues handling death and disease, you get used to it. My fiancé is a contractor and I don’t have any issues discussing my work with him. Your friend sounds like an unusual case, most people who work in healthcare don’t go home every night despondent and depressed because they deal with sick people and death. It’s still a job that most people leave at the workplace.

There are other professions there where I could see you wanting to date someone in the same field, for instance maybe a cop. But most cops are married to people who are not cops. But most cops are married to people who are not cops. If I were an entertainer or an actress, I would most definitely think it would be easier to date someone in the same profession.

I just read some of the other responses. 0P if this is someone you were trying to date and that is the reason she’s giving you, she’s trying to just let you down easy or get you to take no for an answer
Hm, must be some kind of pathology to it then. She said she has a date with a medical sales person, even though he's not in the trenches, he salesman of the equipment provided to hospitals.

I have a mid-50s female friend that's the legal field, she's a state mediator and prefers (not required) to someone in the same legal field as well. So there must be something to this preference that we all don't see. That's like single parents preferring to date only single parents, because they feel their future partner can relate to them. Weird.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:06 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Hm, must be some kind of pathology to it then. She said she has a date with a medical sales person, even though he's not in the trenches, he salesman of the equipment provided to hospitals.

I have a mid-50s female friend that's the legal field, she's a state mediator and prefers (not required) to someone in the same legal field as well. So there must be something to this preference that we all don't see. That's like single parents preferring to date only single parents, because they feel their future partner can relate to them. Weird.
Yes. There is. Some people marry their fellow students from the same grad school, others may feel more workable to marry someone who shares the same kind of schedule, rather than having to constantly explain the demands of one's position to a partner or spouse who works in a different profession. The fact that partners hold the same type of position may mean that they can relate to each other's compassion for work or the challenges one another face.
Farmers and ranchers often marry to each other, mostly because it's handy, also because they live in small rural communities where they don't have many options.
All comes down to lifestyle compatibility, I guess.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Was talking with this medical professional. She works in a cardio lab and apparently prefers to date other medical professionals as only other medical professionals understand them. So she'll even date people from work.

I thought it was just mostly the shift work not aligning, but more than that. She said it's more than just conflicting shifts. That you are all dealing with sick people, death, and the horrors of said profession....which is mostly around sickness and death. That way you understand each other...that you can relate.

It's one of the hardest professions to choose and I guess...misery loves company is what she's saying?

That being said, do people in similar professionals are deemed most compatible?
For me it doesn't matter what they do, as long as they have a honest job. (not like selling drugs or anything lol)

I mean people can want what they want, but also, you are largely limiting your dating pool that way.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:55 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't see how they make it work if they jointly owe close to half a million dollars. Of course, they may enjoy each other's companionship but from a financial standpoint, they are going to be stressed out for years.

Like these 2 doctors who married each other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3qjug9N5BQ&t=131s
If you are a doctor, you can sign up for public service loan forgiveness in residency and then continue to work for a nonprofit once you finish. After 10 years total, the loans are gone. I have friends who have a lot of loans as attorneys doing the PSLF. They are now 8-9 years in and the balances are high because interest has been accruing for 8 years and the payments are income based. In 2 years, the debt will be gone. The payments are capped at 10-15% of income. It is quite manageable.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:42 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
She said it's more than just conflicting shifts. That you are all dealing with sick people, death, and the horrors of said profession....which is mostly around sickness and death. That way you understand each other...that you can relate.
Quote:
She said she has a date with a medical sales person, even though he's not in the trenches, he salesman of the equipment provided to hospitals.
Then all that conflicting shifts, sick people, death, horror, and having to relate business is all B.S.

Unless I'm mistaken and medical equipment salesmen work the graveyard shift dealing with the horror of making a sale directly to sick people before death.....

Old 09-05-2019, 04:57 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Was talking with this medical professional. She works in a cardio lab and apparently prefers to date other medical professionals as only other medical professionals understand them. So she'll even date people from work.

I thought it was just mostly the shift work not aligning, but more than that. She said it's more than just conflicting shifts. That you are all dealing with sick people, death, and the horrors of said profession....which is mostly around sickness and death. That way you understand each other...that you can relate.

It's one of the hardest professions to choose and I guess...misery loves company is what she's saying?

That being said, do people in similar professionals are deemed most compatible?

I think there are some superficial things. Certainly, I'm in a business with strange demands.

But what you do for a living should only be a small portion of who you are. If you are defining yourself by what you do for a living, and expect your partners in life to be the same, then that's the sign of an impoverished soul.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:16 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes. There is. Some people marry their fellow students from the same grad school, others may feel more workable to marry someone who shares the same kind of schedule, rather than having to constantly explain the demands of one's position to a partner or spouse who works in a different profession. The fact that partners hold the same type of position may mean that they can relate to each other's compassion for work or the challenges one another face.
Farmers and ranchers often marry to each other, mostly because it's handy, also because they live in small rural communities where they don't have many options.
All comes down to lifestyle compatibility, I guess.
Yes i work with two therapists who met in college and married. I don’t think there are many though who restrict themselves to only dating in their profession. I’ve never met anyone who had such a strict rule or even a preference, and I’ve been on this planet for 57 years. It was hard enough to meet someone period let alone restricting to health care which is still large majority female.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:32 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,447,211 times
My profession has stupidly long, stressful hours when a deadline approaches. I’m not sure I’d want to date someone with a job like that. I wouldn’t date a doctor, unless he was retired, for the same reasons.

If I were single, I’d prefer dating an artist or craftsman, especially if he was financially stable enough to have his own home and be relatively debt free. My husband falls into that category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships