Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 05:00 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,415 times

Advertisements

My husband is out of town on an assignment til November and we had a brief argument over the phone via text.

Anyway, today he messages me very formally saying "Hello. How are you and how is the baby doing? Please don't say good/fine/ or else I won't ask in the future." he is usually sweet in text messages (baby, honey) & today there was none of that (we've been married 7 years w/ a 7 month old

He exhibits a lot of machismo and it's annoying quite frankly. It took him 3 days to respond (since Sunday & it's now Thursday) How long would you take to respond? Should I give him a taste of his own medicine or "go high when they go low?"

I'm seeing my therapist next week b/c we've been having some communication issues as of late.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 05:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
My husband is out of town on an assignment til November and we had a brief argument over the phone via text.

Anyway, today he messages me very formally saying "Hello. How are you and how is the baby doing? Please don't say good/fine/ or else I won't ask in the future." he is usually sweet in text messages (baby, honey) & today there was none of that (we've been married 7 years w/ a 7 month old

He exhibits a lot of machismo and it's annoying quite frankly. It took him 3 days to respond (since Sunday & it's now Thursday) How long would you take to respond? Should I give him a taste of his own medicine or "go high when they go low?"

I'm seeing my therapist next week b/c we've been having some communication issues as of late.

Thanks everyone!
You should choose the option that least resembles game-playing.

You two have been together long enough to know how to figure this out. Ignoring each other or intentionally delaying a reply just to hurt your spouse is a bad idea. Giving someone a taste of their own medicine is a bad idea.

Just reply and be normal as you would want him to reply to you. Don't avoid the elephant in the room. Get it resolved because distance is enough of a challenge. No need to add in childish behavior.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:07 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You should choose the option that least resembles game-playing.

You two have been together long enough to know how to figure this out. Ignoring each other or intentionally delaying a reply just to hurt your spouse is a bad idea. Giving someone a taste of their own medicine is a bad idea.

Just reply and be normal as you would want him to reply to you. Don't avoid the elephant in the room. Get it resolved because distance is enough of a challenge. No need to add in childish behavior.
I was thinking this as well. I feel that he is somewhat childish at times and likes to give the cold shoulder/silent treatment and he's 42 years old

I did reply to him just b/c I felt in my gut that it was the right thing to do.

This is why I'm seeing my therapist.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:03 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Sex is missing.

That’s hard to not miss.

Understand that.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:10 PM

285 posts, read 204,311 times
That sounds like a lot of resentment over a long period of time and it was an insensitive comment that he made. It's also very little information to go on in your post so it's anyone's guess what might have happened to either of you in your marriage leading up to this.

I think you're on the money with the communication issues. I hope both of you get back on track. Try not to resort to any long drawn out discussions via text message no matter how convenient it may seem at the time. Things generally get confused this way.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:15 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
My husband can be immature, I can be immature, we just try not to do it at the same time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-05-2019, 10:20 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Why is everything today text? Anyone remember an actual phone call?
I personally like the sound of my wifes' voice. And don't forget the 7 year itch. We went through it, and came out just fine.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:28 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
So the spouse didn't respond for three days? Wow. If you're mad at each other a text is the worst thing possible. Stonewalling is worse. A phone call, make a phone call to them. This far in you should be able to talk things through. If not, it is a unhealthy. It is also toxic to a relationship.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:01 PM

285 posts, read 204,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My husband can be immature, I can be immature, we just try not to do it at the same time.
Yesss !! Agree with this. Timing is everything.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:46 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
I wonder why couples don't just speak on the phone if an argument is brewing via text. Once things start getting heated (in a bad way), it's time to stop texting and have a conversation. You can sort out issues much quicker and easier as opposed to cryptic texts and passive-aggressive behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships