Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 08:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean dreamer 77 View Post

How he is doesn't really matter...
It does matter.

All we have is your version of events, and the fact that you won't provide specifics of what made you uncomfortable is, frankly, suspicious.

The first answer to most questions posed here is "It depends..." because the approach we might recommend DOES depend on EXACTLY what is happening.

You aren't helping yourself by being coy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Seems to me that your father in law is just the tip of the iceberg. Your husband seems like he is too passive in everything. It is a character flaw - I don't think you can change that.

You either stand up for yourself (and your children) and wear the pants in the house or you need to leave.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:37 AM

372 posts, read 456,329 times
Quote:
I don't know, it's hard I guess. It's kind of like how we teach kids, if someone is bullying them just walk away (and I don't necessarily agree with that, by the way). Speaking up would have been better but I think I was trying to be on my best behavior at the in-laws house. So I just tried to back away and avoid the situation

And yet you expect your husband to do something on your behalf...

A father can be a horrible person, criminal, lecherous, what ever... but he never stops being a father. Maybe a bad one. But he is the only father your husband knows. Good or bad, his father has been a factor in your husbands whole life... longer than you have been and you have put him in a position of choosing between the two of you. Does your husbands response mean he loves the father more than you? No, not at all. He simply handled the situation in the way he thought best knowing who is father is.

I am not excusing the behavior of the father. I am trying to say stop playing the victim. Understand the situation for what it is and take action with the full knowledge who the people are that you are dealing with. Stop trying to make them something different.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:29 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
For all intents and purposes, you can't rely on your husband to "handle things".

For all intents and purposes, your choice now is to accept that, or not.

For all intents and purposes
, if he makes up for it in other ways, then you have to go forward knowing that YOU have to take charge of your interactions with your step-dad and your child's school officials. But getting him into marriage counseling to talk it over would probably be the best idea.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:55 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
I think you are right about the poor conflict resolution skills but when he seemingly chooses to live with his fathers bad behaviour over my well being, it really does feel like dis-loyalty

Have you ever thought about confronting your FIL yourself and then dealing with any fall-out after the fact?

I have a BIL that more and more, I can't stand. The man dances all over my nerves. My husband knows this, but yet...still invites him (and his wife) out to the country with us from time to time. I keep saying that one of these days, I'll just tell my husband "You and your brother go by yourselves. Your brother always ruins the weekends he comes out, and I'm tired of him. But if you want his company, go for it. I'll stay home."

Should've done it a long time ago, but I haven't yet. Maybe I will the next time my husband invites him. We'll see.

Family dynamics are a weird thing. My husband is usually protective of me, but somehow his brother's relationship trumps mine. Seems like I should take the bull by the horns and deal with it my way, since my husband won't deal with it.

And I'm not even blaming my husband...like I said, family dynamics is a weird and complicated thing. But if I don't want to deal with BIL...I guess I gotta take care of it.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
It seems husband is oblivious to or ignoring the creep factor of the father-in-law. That would be the reasoning for husband not addressing the issue with the father-in-law.

It takes not going to resolve the issue, or force your hand. Don’t be afraid to do that.

Someone asked me what my function at family gathering is. My response “the one who doesn’t show up.”

Old 09-06-2019, 01:33 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
We need specific examples. You just come here with wishy washy statements, expecting sympathy and we should be bashing your husband. We need to know what EXACTLY the FIL said to see if you are overreacting or have a valid claim.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:24 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I wish I'd just taken my son and left their house when my soon to be fil made me angry. I didn't and ended up marrying my ex and was miserable for years.

I applaud you for not subjecting yourself to your fils behavior. Just an opinion, but when your husband says you're being unsocial, one response could be, When your father starts acting like an appropriate human being I will think about interacting with your family. Until then, forget it. "

Old 09-07-2019, 03:41 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
I think you are right about the poor conflict resolution skills but when he seemingly chooses to live with his fathers bad behaviour over my well being, it really does feel like dis-loyalty
I can see that and I empathize. Your husband should be on YOUR team, because that is how you treat your partner.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:00 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
I see you and your husband as both being in the wrong. He should have addressed the issue with his father when you said you were being made uncomfortable. But without knowing exactly what behavior you are having problems with, I can guess that maybe your husband doesn't see it as being as vile or out of line that you seem to be expressing. Maybe he feels you should be able to take care of the issue yourself. I think you should be telling the FIL if you feel his behavior to you is unexceptable. And there's no reason you can't tell him in front of your husband and all the other relatives if that is when and where the behavior takes place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships