Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 01:41 PM

285 posts, read 204,381 times

Advertisements

lol he said he was successful and you believed him? Sorry you had to go through that. I think in future if someone has to describe their success, that person is... not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 01:51 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
I wouldn’t care about whether he had an apartment or a house, or where he lived, as long as everything else about him was fine. However, if he lived in a dangerous neighborhood we’d be spending most of the time at my place. I’d rather be somewhere safe.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:59 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
As far as I'm concerned, the reason someone lives where they live is the important part of this question.

If they live in a marginal area because they had a catastrophic medical situation that was beyond their control, and they are living somewhere less expensive and not as sought after to be able to afford bettering the situation (furthering their education and build back their finances), that's one situation.

If they are living in a bad area full of druggies because they are also a druggie and a reputable landlord in a decent area won't rent to them, but a slumlord will, that's an entirely different situation.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:44 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the reason someone lives where they live is the important part of this question.

If they live in a marginal area because they had a catastrophic medical situation that was beyond their control, and they are living somewhere less expensive and not as sought after to be able to afford bettering the situation (furthering their education and build back their finances), that's one situation.

If they are living in a bad area full of druggies because they are also a druggie and a reputable landlord in a decent area won't rent to them, but a slumlord will, that's an entirely different situation.
Sans the college aspiration, how's about they just don't make that much money and things cost a lot.

Pull up forrent.com and take a gander at the costs in the L.A. area.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:48 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I would be concerned about not being a nice area for safety reasons, etc. But either house or apartment doesn't matter as long as it's not a pig sty

Old 09-07-2019, 04:19 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Sans the college aspiration, how's about they just don't make that much money and things cost a lot.

Pull up forrent.com and take a gander at the costs in the L.A. area.
Yes, that too. And yes, I've seen the prices there and honestly don't see how people, even frugal ones, manage, especially since we're talking about single people on this thread.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:40 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnley View Post
Do women prefer a guy to live in a house or apartment? Would it be turn off if a guy owns a nice house but in a bad area? Would women be scared to come over to visit?
Generally speaking, men get judged in society by what they drive, their zip code, and who's on there arm.

For your question, if we're being honest, looks come into the equation. Women who are say, an 8 an up and know it, are going to have higher all around standards regarding your living situation. Home owning is not mandatory as many well off people rent. Apartments across the street from me rent out for $4500. Who would come visit somebody there.

But if its a women who maybe doesn't get asked out much, she's probably cool visiting a shaky neighborhood until something happens up close and personal and the she'll be shook up.

But even guy to guy, at this point in my life, I'd be leery about going to certain places, and many neighborhoods I flat out won't visit you.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:09 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Most people don't want to go to the ghetto.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:09 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Most people don't want to go to the ghetto.
Exactly. But this thread isn't going to get the most honest answers because it's going to make the poster seem superficial for telling the truth.

I'm going to say living in a sketchy area is a turn-off for most people who don't live in one. And not all property owners(especially those in HCOL cities) are open to dating renters who have nothing to contribute down the road.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:32 AM

285 posts, read 204,381 times
I'm more likely to be more intrigued by a guy who lives within his means, someone who doesn't have the personality of a paperclip or an ego large enough to eclipse the sun.

What that means is that things are consistent, he doesn't have a house or car (or houses or cars) that he can't afford and he isn't penny-wise, pound-foolish. A killer wit and razor sharp sense of humour helps. Everything else is really just white noise and small details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships