Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 04:45 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Applebee's has wine.
I love you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 04:46 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...date-food.html

Until this, I didn't even know what charcuterie was, seems it can be expensive. My question is, for a first date do you think the guy's just being a cheapskate or do you think the girl is in the wrong for shaming him online for it?
Such a ridiculous reason. It's idiot like that that just deserved to be unattached.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:50 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Applebee's has wine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I love you.
Well I see the usual “p on the Diss” session has started so carry on. I’m just trying to make a damn point that this guy is clearly not one who thinks going formal for a first meet or at the beginning is a good look and he should not be mocked for his comfort zone.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Until this, I didn't even know what charcuterie was, seems it can be expensive. My question is, for a first date do you think the guy's just being a cheapskate or do you think the girl is in the wrong for shaming him online for it?
I am going for likely neither. First of all, what does it mean to shame someone? I won't say I read an entire Daily Mail article. But I am guessing he was not named. I mean he DID say that, so what is shameful?

On the flip side, I think the idea of being a cheapskate is stupid. People spend what they spend. Dating does not need to be about that. If that was not a meal he wanted to throw down for, that that is good for him.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:51 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But charcuterie isn't really formal. It's like having snacks--cheese, crackers, ham, salami, grapes, olives, etc. With a glass of wine it's not really that formal at all. Would you consider nachos formal?
Part of it may be the name, I mean it's just a fancy way to say meat and cheese and that might have put him off if he really isn't familiar with it.
Plus I don't think a lot of guys see it as 'ordinary' fare. Years and years ago, on a very hot summer night, I suggested to my then BF that we just have a meat and cheese plate with fruit for dinner, he just gave me a quizzical look and said "why?"

Old 09-07-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Well I see the usual “p on the Diss” session has started so carry on.
You know, I never look at the handle of the people I reply to. I can't help it if you PoV is one I regularly disagree with.

Quote:
I’m just trying to make a damn point that this guy is clearly not one who thinks going formal for a first meet or at the beginning is a good look and he should not be mocked for his comfort zone.
Wonder about the why not be mocked? I mean if she didn't name him (and let's get this clear since I did not read the article. Cuz, Daily Mail - all of this opinion is thrown out if she did name him) this is really just a funny story. How is that shaming him?

Old 09-07-2019, 05:01 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Years and years ago, on a very hot summer night, I suggested to my then BF that we just have a meat and cheese plate with fruit for dinner, he just gave me a quizzical look and said "why?"
He would have been deserved a quizzical look right back at him with a "Why not?" response.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:03 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:

I'm SO glad that I am old (49) and married and that I was married before online dating became a thing. It sounds like it's far more complicated than meeting people IRL. I feel really sorry for younger single people who are dealing with this whole adventure. I know a 26 year old I work with who is having a hard time with finding the right match for her.

Yes, it's always wrong to shame others for relatively trivial things and this is a *really* trivial matter.

It's also silly that it was expected for the guy to pay for it; when I was dating I paid if I suggested it or we went half and half. Has stuff changed that much ?

I think that the guy is being a bit silly here too for thinking going out for charcuterie is "too serious" for a first date. A charcuterie spread is not necessarily expensive and is not generally a formal dining experience. It is lighter fare with a variety of meats, cheeses and some fruits. Eating a light dinner is too serious for a first date? What does this guy want, lol.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Part of it may be the name, I mean it's just a fancy way to say meat and cheese and that might have put him off if he really isn't familiar with it.
Just, you know, in case you did not bother to look it up youself. It really isn't just fancy way to say meat and cheese. That was an explanation.

But I think it IS actually a little bit hilarious that a word, a perfectly good word, that describes a form of French cooking, that would take less than a second to google would be intimidating.

Quote:
Plus I don't think a lot of guys see it as 'ordinary' fare. Years and years ago, on a very hot summer night, I suggested to my then BF that we just have a meat and cheese plate with fruit for dinner, he just gave me a quizzical look and said "why?"
I would hate going out with someone who only wants to do ordinary things. Dating should be fun.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:08 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
He would have been deserved a quizzical look right back at him with a "Why not?" response.
He was a meat and potatoes kind of guy, I think he would have been just as confounded if I had suggested cotton candy for dinner, I don't think it ever occurred to him that these things were anything more than ingredients for a sandwich and an apple, in a brown bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships