Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 05:09 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times

Advertisements

(I'm not married, so take comments for what it's worth.)

Why not start having "fun" on weekdays without wife? She can really only control whether she chooses not to go out.

Or, as others have suggested, maybe you can sneak in a grocery store run on Wed and a load of laundry on Thu. It could both free up time on weekend and (perhaps) encourage wife to want to balance weekday chores with a weekday date night....

(perhaps the fairytale of the unmarried....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 05:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bFair View Post
Maybe it's just me, but what is wrong with doing things on work nights?
I agree. Go out a couple nights each week.
Dinner, a movie, a concert, play cards with friends... all sorts of things.
And on the weekend? Go play tennis or golf or fish while the hired help does the work.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:35 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Plan to go to a concert or whatever by yourself or a male friend. Do that a couple of times and she'll probably join you next time.

People have their routines, and this isn't necessarily her being "controlling." I would like to go out and do fun things on Sunday evenings, but my husband likes to do household chores and prep for his workweek on Sundays. That's just how he likes to do it. Sometimes I plan something and he'll agree to it but usually I just don't bother going out or I'll plan something with friends. Not a dealbreaker for me.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:55 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
My guess is, she really doesn't want to do the concerts and dates, but feels like she can't outright say that so she says only on weekends, and then often she finds other ways to avoid it.

Does she ever initiate them herself?

Do you tend to do stuff that you want to do, but she has no real interest in, even dreads?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:07 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
So what lines have YOU drawn that she disagrees with?
Use those nights for your own pleasure. Maybe she will get jealous that you're having fun without her?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:13 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I wouldn't be surprised if the OP doesn't have a lot of friends to do stuff with on weeknights without his wife.

There is a way to approach this conflict, OP, but it won't work if you really don't value your own needs enough (i.e. "hate confrontation") to the point that you won't even broach the topic with her.

You need to reach a compromise, and the only way for a compromise to work is for each side to accept that the others side's want/need is important. So you both have to listen to each others' reasons for wanting what you want and discuss some kind of agreement to try something different.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:20 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,837 times
Call it a date night. Take her flowers or whatever she likes, plan dinner, foreplay all week with amazing sex before and/or after the function. You have been married a long time, so you know how to get what you want from her.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:27 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bFair View Post
At times...truth be told, this "marriage" seems to have become more a "business" arrangement...where we both feel "cheaper to keep'em"...not ideal, but economics!
Just curious, but what does this mean? Are you trying to introduce new things into your marriage because you are bored? Of course, I could be reading too much into this.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:37 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Oh no, no. There are too many good concerts that happen on a weeknight. Just two nights ago my spouse and I went to see a 75 year old jazz drummer with his band. He'd been a member of a famous fusion band of the 70s. And he still had it! Anyway. My point is, most of the "listening room" type concerts we like to go to happen on weekdays.

Restaurants are less crowded on weeknights (usually), and you'll get more attentive service.
Happy hours tend to happen on weekdays, not weekends.
Discount movie nights are on Tuesdays in my neck of the woods.
What about Thursdays? Many people like to kick off their weekend with a little Thursday night fun.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:57 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Makes the week go by faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships