Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 12:24 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,278,243 times

Advertisements

People really set themselves up for that when they use old pics, or filtered or photoshopped pics.

Last guy I was on a date with, the pics I knew him by were when he was in the army 20 years ago. He looked great in those pics. The guy who showed up was obese and was aging very prematurely. It was clear he had treated his body like garbage in the 20 years since he got out of the army. His diet must have consisted mainly of snickers bars and pringles.

He had a very interesting personality, but he could barely handle a walk around town and I liks to hike for 5 miles at a time.

I only complain because its a prevantable issue. He could have taken care of himself instead of letting himself go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 01:52 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Right.

I guess what is in question, in my opinion, is whether OP finds the woman unattractive...or he's just comparing her somewhat unfavorably to an ex that he was VERY attracted to. I would think that if she outright didn't meet his needs in terms of her looks...and I think most of us do have a threshold somewhere, right?...then why would he continue to see her? Why would he be even debating this? I assume that if he just straight up had NO attraction to her, or was put off by her that way, the choice to end the connection would be simple.

I wonder if he could somehow erase his memory of the ex, would this woman be acceptable without the comparison? Is the problem here, or is it there?
She is not unattractive but she doesn't get my heart beating either. My previous ex (whose story you are familiar with) activated a different part of me I didn't know existed. I would almost do almost anything to please her I was so infatuated with everything about her. Her happiness was my happiness.

Now I'm just like bleh. I mean she's ok, she's perfectly suitable, but my heart isn't racing and my ether parts don't have that reaction either. Don't get me wrong, I could probably date her for a while, she just seems so much more into me. It's the imbalance that is problematic. How can I share in enthusiasm I don't have.

On the flip side, having a partner for movies or dinner is kind of nice. That's where I'm at. Maybe I could date her longer and find I might grow in my feelings? I don't know.

My previous ex was the most attractive (physically) woman I have ever dated. She was like a model and part of me fears I'll never even get close to that and how do I lower my standards because I know I'm not at my ex's level.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:53 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
On the flip side, having a partner for movies or dinner is kind of nice. That's where I'm at.
As long as she knows that ^^^ is how you view her, you're good.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
As long as she knows that ^^^ is how you view her, you're good.
If I tell her this, she may get mad and end it. So I can't tell her just yet.

I can't make myself feel that which I don't. But I'm also not rushing into something (or out of it) either.

Calmer feelings prevailing. Logic over emotions this time I guess.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I can't make myself feel that which I don't. But I'm also not rushing into something either.
Okay ... You're not rushing OUT of anything either.

As long as you compare others to the hot mess, you'll be confused about the right thing to do.

You know she was wrong for you, and it doesn't appear you're ready to date since you can't stop letting yourself still be swayed by that screwed-up side. Fear that she will get mad is supposed to be your first clue LOL.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Okay ... You're not rushing OUT of anything either.

As long as you compare others to the hot mess, you'll be confused about the right thing to do.

You know she was wrong for you, and it doesn't appear you're ready to date since you can't stop letting yourself still be swayed by that screwed-up side. Fear that she will get mad is supposed to be your first clue LOL.
You don't understand.

I want the beauty of my ex with the demeanor of this woman or others. Someone that is loyal and enthusiastic about me but also me about her. But that has NEVER happened me whole life. It's usually unrequited love on one side or the other.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:08 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
If you really like this person, but maybe think she'd look better with a makeover, maybe find a way to pay for her to have a makeover. Try to do it in a positive way somehow and maybe that'll help the attraction. If this is not feasible, then just stay platonic at most.

If she asks why, just tell her personal, superficial quirky reasons that are not appropriate for your to discuss. She deserves an answer, but doesn't need to know specifically for something so superficial.

I would have to have the self esteem of an ant to not be offended at any man who'd ask me to have a make over to hopefully improve the likelihood of attraction. Lordy. Eliza Doolittle is a fictional character you know.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
You don't understand.

I want the beauty of my ex with the demeanor of this woman or others. Someone that is loyal and enthusiastic about me but also me about her. But that has NEVER happened me whole life. It's usually unrequited love on one side or the other.
Um, I DO understand.

EVERYONE wants that. You need to take a hard, honest look at your own reality and adjust your expectations.

And now you know that there's a reason someone with your ex's "beauty" was available to you. Turns out she was NOT actually the total package. Either way, you're crapping on this nice woman because you don't have your head on straight.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Um, I DO understand.

EVERYONE wants that. You need to take a hard, honest look at your own reality and adjust your expectations.

And now you know that there's a reason someone with your ex's "beauty" was available to you. Turns out she was NOT actually the total package. Either way, you're crapping on this nice woman because you don't have your head on straight.
No I'm not because I haven't said anything to her, so all's well in the neighborhood. Just thinking through the thought process.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
No I'm not because I haven't said anything to her, so all's well in the neighborhood.
You don't have to SAY anything to be dishonest.

If you are letting her believe that you are right there with her in terms of feelings and approach to the relationship, just going along because it's nice to have someone to talk to and go out with, then you're being dishonest.

You KNOW you are or you wouldn't have started the thread.

You're afraid to be honest with women because you think it helps you control the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships