Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 01:12 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Once a guy hugged me too long and tight and I think it had something to do with that. I don't like being used.
I don't think he wasn't that kind of man. He was probably just plain "thirsty", and was using your hug to get his touch needs met. Not cool.

Most such men are well-versed in what women like and don't like. That's why they became that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 01:40 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
If a woman respects you as a person and enjoys having you as a friend, there's no reason for her not to feel positive energy while hugging you. It's not for you to worry if she does. A part of "confidence" is trusting that other people enjoy your company.

Adding value to each other's life is mutual but unequal. Here's how. Women, including straight women, have a lesser need for a significant other for physical affection, because they get it from each other in many ways. From hugging as a greeting (where men usually shake hands), to cuddling while watching an emotional movie at home, to sharing a bed for warmth, to... watch any "MTV Real World" episode. You'd be hard-pressed to find two straight men doing these things. Hence the need for a significant other.
Do you ever attempt to qualify your statements? You continually make bold sweeping generalizations. It’s ludicrous. We’re not all wired the same way. I typically greet friends and family with a hug, but the last time I was huggy in the way you describe with a girlfriend was NYE of ‘11, at a NYE get-together. Physical touch is my primary love language. Not only is affection a big part of how I give and receive love and affection, I exclusively dated men who share the same love language. The last time I watched a movie at home with a girlfriend was in high school. Lol And The Real World? Is that series still on?

Quote:
A certain information source told me that a man adds value to a woman's life with his dominant vibe and presence. Women feed off that energy, because it generates positive emotions in them; attraction too. Oftentimes not enough to quickly jump in bed with you---few men are that attractive---but enough to act more generous with physical affection that she otherwise acts with men.
“Women.” Lol My husband isn’t the dominant type. He appears to have a dominant presence, but that isn’t a trait he possesses. That would suggest there must be a combination of other traits this woman is attracted to. Imagine that.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:23 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Do you ever attempt to qualify your statements? You continually make bold sweeping generalizations. It’s ludicrous. We’re not all wired the same way. I typically greet friends and family with a hug, but the last time I was huggy in the way you describe with a girlfriend was NYE of ‘11, at a NYE get-together. Physical touch is my primary love language. Not only is affection a big part of how I give and receive love and affection, I exclusively dated men who share the same love language. The last time I watched a movie at home with a girlfriend was in high school. Lol And The Real World? Is that series still on?
I call 'em as I see 'em. This tapered off as I got older, but back in my 20's, I remember frequently seeing women grabbing on to each other like a drowning person to floating driftwood. And I mentioned "Real World" for a reason: it's a show most people at least know of, and it depicts the behavior reasonably well.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-07-2019 at 02:44 PM..

Old 10-07-2019, 02:32 PM

818 posts, read 456,415 times
Op , of course it is , there's not many nicer things in life. Where did you ever get the thinking it wasn't ok.
Very very old school thinking my friend men have just as many needs as women and in this day and age that kind of thinking is long long gone, and hey , she would love that you'd like a cuddle anyway.
lf she didn't that's not because you weren't being a man but more like that she wasn't being a woman.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:45 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
My husband is a manly man. Recently he requested more togetherness. That includes a lot more cuddling and pillow talk, not just sex.

You wouldn’t think it was the case if you saw him on the street because he’s muscular and stoic, but he has always been romantic and very affectionate in private.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:38 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
My husband is a manly man. Recently he requested more togetherness. That includes a lot more cuddling and pillow talk, not just sex.

You wouldn’t think it was the case if you saw him on the street because he’s muscular and stoic, but he has always been romantic and very affectionate in private.
It's similar when you see a big macho manly type guy acting cutsy with a baby or an animal. It just takes ya back a second or two.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:59 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I call 'em as I see 'em. This tapered off as I got older, but back in my 20's, I remember frequently seeing women grabbing on to each other like a drowning person to floating driftwood. And I mentioned "Real World" for a reason: it's a show most people at least know of, and it depicts the behavior reasonably well.
Again with the "all women think alike" mindset.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 PM

1,593 posts, read 776,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Hugging isn't really affection, some people hug anybody and everybody, like a hand shake. Real affection is part of something greater. I don't really hug, and I'm kind of glad because I would not want to be feeding some MGTOW intimacy desire without knowing it. Once a guy hugged me too long and tight and I think it had something to do with that. I don't like being used.

More of an incel intimacy desire, really. What you describe here is precisely why I tend to be stand-offish around women. I've gone years without more than the occasional sidehug. In truth I crave physical closeness and affection, but I'm afraid that if I don't hold myself as my handle indicates that I would start trying to get that need met through incidental, friendly contact, which would be inappropriate.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:34 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
More of an incel intimacy desire, really. What you describe here is precisely why I tend to be stand-offish around women. I've gone years without more than the occasional sidehug. In truth I crave physical closeness and affection, but I'm afraid that if I don't hold myself as my handle indicates that I would start trying to get that need met through incidental, friendly contact, which would be inappropriate.
That sounds lonely. This might be of interest.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=128795325

Old 10-08-2019, 08:57 AM

818 posts, read 456,415 times
l've had that hug from women many times, l'm cringing , get me outa hereeeee.
l try to avoid any cuddling of women now days, well apart from gf or daughter of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships